How it happened

How it happened

A Chapter by Angel
"

This is only a few pages of thow it all began.

"

~ [“Anaya”] ~

Far away past the forest of silent whispers a place where the river folks would wonder often at night to see if the worrying rumours were true.                     The rumours which were told for thousands of centuries were once thought to be a myth but now the possibilities of it being true are seeping through reality and the people are scared. Scared because beyond the valley of the southern winds, though the great Bavalon mountains to which the long generation of Baskerville fire breathing, venom spitting dragons still dwell, and over the sea of frightful water beasts was an old black ruined castle.                                                          A castle which once belonged to great kings who ruled the seven kingdoms together decades ago before the great battle took place between man and Grylon’s where just in time for the Grylon’s invasion against the world the once cherished kingdom split. The kings fought and the great empire fell.                  Rumours have it that within the great kingdom lives the last of the Grylon’s a man of great evil.                                                                 Of the four servants who worked for him stripped away from family, friends and home Orin was the most feared. Not only did he contain the powers which none of the three possessed but he also contained a high status gained from the work he did that it was considered rare to approach him without a consequence of either severe injury or death.

Orin walked down the dark hallway lit up by bright lanterns on fire which hung on the walls. His boots thudded against the ground as he made his way over to the throne room echoing within the long wide hall.                                               He was called out from the comfort of his room, his sanctuary to hear of his next task just seconds after returning after three days with the head of a Cyclopes.                 Just from a thought Orin had the large black doors thrown back before he entered where as soon as he was inside the two heavy doors shut behind announcing his arrival.                                Orin looked ahead at Diego and Kathlean, both on their knees bowing down to the man in front of them. Sat on a stone throne on a high platform was the very man who bought fear within the mention of his name. The master of the castle. The last of the Grylons. Arogan.       “Master” addressed Orin walking towards him and stopped just in front of Kathlean and Diego who glared at him as his shadow fell over them.                           “Orin, I have another task for you” spoke Arogan in a hoarse voice and waved his hand to dismiss the twins.           “Yes master what is it you wish for me to do?” Asked Orin ignoring their glare as they left the room.                                 “There is a young princess in the kingdom of Virindoor; I need you to watch her. Inform me of any changes” he ordered and stood up.       “Yes master, when do you wish for me to leave?” Asked Orin watching him as he stepped off the platform and stood in front of him.             “Leave tonight while the night is still young” instructed Arogan. Orin nodded but knew he wasn’t dismissed yet.                 “Now bow?” ordered Arogan taking a step closer. Orin knelt down on one knee dreading what was to happen next and closed his eyes.                        Arogan held onto Orin’s head stretching and clamping his long nails across his dark brown hair and looking up rolled his eyes back behind his closed eye lids.                          Orin felt the blood rush to the top of his head and at once he felt faint as Arogan stole his powers from him once again sending a current of pain through his body in the process. He gritted his teeth and dug his nails in to the ground feeling his mind explode inside of him but nothing shortened the pain as part of him was being forcefully ripped away.                       Orin awoke as usual alone in an empty room; since the death of his parents Orin usually spent his time alone. He enjoyed his solitude but only because he has forgotten what is was like to have a trusting company as he clearly knew only fools believe in trust and he trusts no one.                                       Slowly pushing himself off the floor he stood up and blinked a few times to adjust his sight then looked around. He took his first step cautiously holding his head and attempting to strain his eye for a better vision not wanting to lose balance and fall. Through blurred visions the dark, cold, stoned room appeared somewhat colder and darker though it was slightly lit by a few torches which were attached to the walls around the room. Orin’s blood slowly began to circle him again bringing back colour to his pale face as his vision slowly returned and his steps became steadier.                                       Orin’s powers were usually donated to Arogan every so often, he thought he would be used to the process and its consequence but every time he shared his powers it seemed to grow more painful.                                             After being trapped for five centuries Arogan had lost aces to his powers, though it was still contained within him the only way for the connection to his powers to return is if something equally powerful had been absorbed to trigger it. This process was in fact so dangerous it has the ability to inflict great torture on the host body and drive them to such a state they could be made paralysed if not already dead. As Arogan simply stole a small fraction amount of Orin’s powers he was only left unconscious after such a traumatic attack, but even Orin as powerful as he seems is nowhere near as powerful when compared to Arogan who once in repossession of not only his own but another’s powers would not only be strong but indestructible almost immortal.

Orin dragged his feet to the stables, pushed open the heavy gate and found his black horse. The beautiful black horse had predicted his arrival and as usual was already stood and waiting, greeting him with a soft neigh he scraped its hoof against the hay and stepped forth towards him.               Orin felt its soft silky coat as he ran his hand across its side, in a single move he jumped on the back of the horse and kicked its side ordering it to go forth.                               As soon as Orin was outside the stables, the twins appeared walked towards him with their arm folded.                              “Where are you going?” asked Diego dropping his arm by his side and glaring in envy.                                   “Yes what errands does the master send you on today? Surely it can not be too big for us to do.” Commented Kathlean reaching to stroke the horse who neighed and stood on its hidden legs kicking its front legs at her in protest.      “Touchy” laughed Kathlean looking up at Orin.                 As soon as the horse was on all fours again Orin looked at them with the same plain expression he always used on them, “get away from my horse” commanded Orin with no tone to his voice as he glared at her.       “It speaks” teased Kathlean who laughed looking over at her brother.                             “Tell us where are you going?” pressed Diego whose only interest was to do the task instructed to Orin so that he may return with it accomplished and gain a suitable place by the masters side ‘a place disserved rightfully to him’ he always thought due to his noble birth as he was born to a family whose greed for power was almost greater than the Grylons.                                                 Orin remained silent, he never bothered himself with their insolence simply ignored them though there were many brutal conflicts between Diego and himself ever since they first met.                                  “You think you are so special because you have powers, that is why the master favours you because of your powers without them your worthless.” Cried out Kathlean whose short temper always got the best of her.                                                            Orin thought of ignoring her but he did not want to give her the satisfaction that her words had an effect on him. “Master favours me because I am not incompetent like you two" he replied nonchalantly and leaned forth on his horse to leave but the angered insulted twins stood in front of him.                      “How dare you!” shouted Diego in rage.                 Orin rolled his eyes in response “I have had enough of this” he replied and lifted his hand in front of him where at once Diego and Kathlean were thrown back in mid air.                                    Diego was hammered against a large tree and kathlean continued to be forced back until she was pushed against the hard surface of the floor scraping her elbow against the ground. Before either of them could stand up Orin instantly galloped away without a thought on looking back.            The heavy thudding of the iron hoofs drummed against the ground as Orin and his horse rode towards the great kingdom of Virindoor a five days journey from his master’s castle. They travelled at a constant speed rarely stopping to rest as the horse was greatly gifted in stamina and could continue for days without growing tired.                                

 After the long journey they had finally arrived, Orin had arranged to stay at a local inn which was close enough to the castle and contained a stable for his horse as there were many travellers who would travel to and from the kingdom.                             Twisting the handle Orin entered his room closing the door behind him, from the faint light of the moon he saw a white jug with a bowl of water on the drawer besides the bed.                           Splashing the cool water over his face three times he ran his fingers though his hair then picking up a small blue towel dried his face.         Placing the towel back down he brushed his hand across his hair as he walked over towards the small black panelled window.                     Looking out he saw the village market which was busy in selling its daily fresh fruits and vegetables, jewellery, books, poultry, fish and other interesting items.                                      As Orin watched he saw a young man who in fact looked more like a young boy due to his female like features. The man was handed a chicken to hold onto by one of the ladies behind a stall who seemed to take a fancy to him as she continued to walk towards him battering her eyelashes. Orin rolled his eyes and was about to turn away but something kept him rooted to the spot. He continued to watch as the man took several steps back away from the lady who was beginning to press herself on him twirling his hair and biting her lips. Gifted with supernatural hearing Orin could clearly hear the man as he spoke though the closed window. “Dont touch my hair” he warned continuously as he laughed nervously but the charmed lady continued to walk towards him with a teasing smile. The worried man accidently stepped back onto a large brown boot letting go of the chicken in shock as he turned around. The frantic golden hen flew up in front of the injured man flapping its wings in shock where before he could cry out in pain for his foot he was screaming in  fight from the hectic chicken in front of his face. Orin continued to watch as the accident tuned in to an argument and instantly their weapons were drawn. Everyone in the market stopped to watch the short fight take place where the two men had managed to clash swords only for a short while before the guards raced towards them. Instantly the two split in opposite directions as did Orin’s attention ignoring the small facade outside his window and headed downstairs.                                 

As he walked through the village market Orin was called to a number of times by young ladies wishing to sell him anything in attempt for a few exchange of words, but Orin simply ignored them. He didn’t so much as look up at them nor kindly deny their special discounts or great bargains just walked straight pass staring down at the ground pretending he didn’t hear them.                                     Orin had wondered off lost in deep thoughts of wonder, wondering what it was that his master wanted with a simple princess, but she wasn’t at all simple.   Of all the princesses his master could have chosen throughout the land why her?                 Orin had been a slave to Arogan since infancy and most of his tasks no matter how big or small was carried out by Orin and Orin alone, yet he still ceased to understand what it was his master was after. From a long tiring walk Orin had entered a dark alleyway the common destination for the kingdoms slums though as far as Orin could see there was not a slum dweller in sight as at this time of day they were out in attempt to steal for their night supper.                          Orin thought to himself that the slums would be the best place to start his search as there was always someone willing to do anything for a few gold coins, even sneak him into the castle themselves.                               As Orin crept down the long dark, damp alleyway he saw the same man who was involved in the short fight which took place earlier just after he was being awfully seduced by one of the market ladies. Orin watched the young feminine looking man as he acted suspiciously checking his surroundings carefully before leaning against the hard brick wall sighing exasperatedly tilting his head back and resting it on the hard brick wall. After a few deep breaths he took a handful of his golden hair and with another sigh slowly pulled it right off! Every bit of blond came off revealing long raven black hair.        “He’s a girl!” remarked Orin in a whisper as he watched in shock but his silent whisper was heard and instantly the young girl looked up towards his direction.                                          “Who’s there?” she demanded and was soon slowly walking towards his direction. Orin took several steps back as he watched her approach, he did not want to be involved with whatever it was she was doing and so as he saw her continue to march towards him in annoyance, he turned around and ran.                                                      “Stop!” she shouted as she raced after him roughly putting her wig back on as she ran. Orin continued to run with speed like lightning. He had left the dark alleyway far behind with simply a few single steps and had now returned to the village market still being chased by the strange girl. She had followed behind him out of the alleyway and had lost him in the market. The young girl looked everywhere but he could not be found. “Does he know my secret?” she thought to herself turning her head continuously as she searched for him. Orin walked around casually trying to blend in with the crowd but her hawk like eyes spotted him and instantly she was moving towards him. As quickly as he could Orin continued to run at a normal pace but as soon as he was away from the crowd he sped up and raced towards the forest to the east of the kingdom just outside the village.                   Camouflaged by the tall green trees Orin waited quietly watching and listening for her. Whatever it was she was hiding she did not want to be found out as after a few seconds he heard her footsteps approach and froze. Leaning right against the tree Orin carefully waited for her to leave, he took a small step to the side moving around the tree to move further away but as he stepped he landed on a twig which snapped in half immediately catching her attention.                              Within a few seconds she quickly pulled out her arrow and aligned it on her bow lifting it towards the direction of the noise she let go to draw him out, but it did not work. The long, sharp, wooden bow shot though the air and trapped Orin’s sleeve against the trunk of the tree. Before she could find him berried between the rich summer trees he found her and quickly he turned his head blowing to his left. At once along his left side a long trail of wind blew across the forest picking up fragments of fine soil and leaves as it moved. As the girl turned her head towards the direction Orin caught a glimpse of her and at once was enchanted.                                 The wind blew her raven black hair away from her face revealing the strange girl who was both young and beautiful but that was not what had enchanted him. What enchanted Orin was the fire within her eyes. That warm glow within her deep hazel brown eyes had contained a sense of shine to them, a sense of innocence and they had sparkled so bright that it seemed there was a bright star placed inside which glittered like crystals, but as she moved her head and the sunlight hit her piercing though the trees and leaves those bright brown eyes transformed emerald green and Orin froze in horror. He now knew why his master wanted him here.                                   Quickly pulling off the arrow from his sleeves he carefully watched her as she raced over towards the sound of rustling leaves. Just as he was about to follow after her he heard the cry of a bird overhead and looked up to find a black crow crowing at him.                    “So soon?” He asked the black bird who crowed in reply. Orin looked back at the girl and sighed staring at her for a brief second where before he turned to leave he sighed ‘there was no hope for her’ he thought to himself.                                                 The black bird jumped off the branch and flew ahead with Orin silently following behind playing with the sharp arrow. Leaving the forest behind they had entered a clearing, the crow walked in front of Orin who was dragging his feet miles behind still thinking of her. After a short while of walking the crow crowed and Orin looked up at it, his changed expression was like the one he had before dark and full of deep thoughts. Releasing the arrow from his tight grip and throwing it on the floor he decided to forget about her and raced forth towards the crow.                      The small fat crow also ran ahead as fast as its two legs could spread and as soon as it began to fly up Orin jumped on top where just before he landed on it the crow grew to an enormous size carrying Orin on its back as it flew. Orin looked down at the green grass beneath him and remembered her eyes, shaking his head he put two fingers in his lips and blew a loud whistle. Though it wasn’t loud enough for the people in the kingdom to hear, it had reached the ears of his black horse from deep in the stables within seconds. The alert horse instantly began hammering its gate down with its iron hoof running out towards the call of its master. Orin now high in the skies on the back of a very large crow followed by his racing horse was called back to the clutches of his master but what awaits for him there ensures that this won’t be the last he see’s of the strange girl as their paths will surely cross again.



© 2012 Angel


Author's Note

Angel
Opinoins and critisims required please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on October 14, 2012
Last Updated on October 14, 2012


Author

Angel
Angel

London, United Kingdom



About
The Cover of a Book is the Beginning of a Journey A book is like a garden carried in your pocket an adventure, experience, understanding and most importantly an insperation . . . xXx more..

Writing