ch 1

ch 1

A Chapter by Angelwolf
"

So I've done some updating to chapter 1 hope to do chapter 2 soon as i get my computer fixed. Still not anywhere near done I'm sure. thanks in advance to anyone willing to put in their two cents.

"
  The first snow fall of the year was steady and beautiful. It turned Anne's whole world white in one afternoon. The thought occurred to her to shift into her wolf form and run. No one would see her, she would blend right in being just a white as the snow. She wanted to call David and ask him if they could go for a run tonight. Then remembered that he wasn't home. Would he be angry if she ran alone? She knew what he would say. She could hear his ranting in her head as though she had already done it.

"That was so reckless!" he would say. "Why would you do something so dumb!?  What if you had been caught!?"

    He is her conscience and she knew it wasn't a good idea. She didn't know if she could hold in her joy. When she looked out the window it made her want to be free and right now she felt so damned caged it might just drive her mad. Her heart and the wolf inside ached for freedom from this room, from the danger of being what she was. Freedom from the world that seemed so filled with horrors that everything that is good and pure cries blood soaked tears of pain. She often wondered if David could hear it sobbing in his ear as she did. If only she could get away to a place where there were no nightmares of a man who died a year ago and of all the men after him who had broken her. To this day when a male came near her she would not speak or even look at him at first. The only one she trusted was David and that was only because they had grown up together.

    He is her only real friend. Even though he knows nothing about the horrible things men have done to her. She knew he suspects something, but she always ran away in one way or another when he tried to ask her why she acts the way she does. After a while he just accepted it and stopped asking. It made her feel guilty that he told her everything that happened to him. She often thought to tell him but she was afraid of how he would look at her if she did. She imagined how he would react a thousand times. She sees him getting so angry and wanting to know their names so he can kill them. Then when he looked at her seeing her cry he would give her a look that held so much pity that it would kill her. Part of her said that he would never look at her that way, but somehow she couldn't shake it. Sometimes she would wonder if he would be disgusted and blame her just as much as she did.

    She knew that they say “It’s not your fault.”, but why would they do such things if she hadn’t done something to draw their attention to her? She often wishes there was someone that would never hurt her; that would never look at her with pity when all the bad things spilled out of her. She hated those times when she sat alone crying so hard that her eyes might fall out. Sometimes she dreamed of a man like that. Though she could never quiet see his face. She hated the only thing she had that made her feel better. The bite of that little blade and then . . . all the bad thoughts poured out of her skin in red tears that were so much more satisfying than regular ones. The wound healed quickly, after she let it, and the great thing about not being human is that there were no scars or marks for people to see. The only proof was the blood stained rag that she kept in a pouch with her pocket knife. Yet another thing she kept from David. The thought made her want to cry, so she made up her mind she was going to run just for an hour or so. She walked over to the window of her bedroom and looked around, there didn't seem to be anyone but she didn't want to take any chances so she closed the curtain on the white world and took off her clothes.

    Standing in front of the mirror naked she took in the sight, noting any imperfection. She wasn't ugly she admitted that much, but she wasn't gorgeous either. She has a fine face, no blemishes or scars. In fact shortly after she first discovered her sword she found that all her scars, moles and any other mark had disappeared. She felt too skinny even though she was barely less than what doctors said she should weigh for her height. She had nice muscles that weren't too bulky. Her curves were exactly what they should be too. Her hair was long and light, getting lighter in fact. All the hair on her body had disappeared with her scars. She wasn't certain if she liked that or not. It kind of looked strange to her. It made her feel like a kid sometimes which sucked because she already looked a little young for her age.

    She turned from her reflection and began to shift. A beautiful light filled the room so bright that had anyone been in the room they wouldn't have been able to view the change. After all four paws were on the floor she went to the window and nudged it the rest of the way up with her nose. Leaping to the ground from her second story apartment was nothing. She landed as gracefully as if it hadn't been any distance at all. She took off running until she was safely in the woods at a nearby park. Sniffing the night air for danger she slowly came up to a creek and took a drink. She felt so exhilarated, and free, that she almost didn't hear the people coming down to the creek to hang out.

    She recognized one of the voices as David's the other two were girls. Voices she also recognized as friends of David's that she had met before. She gently stepped into the cold water and started to move as quietly as possible to some trees a little ways up stream. She knew that David would see her tracks and know she was near but she didn't want the girls to be frightened of her. Most humans don't take well to wolves, especially girls, and they could scream really loud. She got to cover just as they came through the trees and started to descend onto the snow covered rocks on the side of the creek.

    The smaller younger looking girl snuck some snow into the back of David's shirt and both girls laughed as he struggled to get it out. During his struggle he looked down and saw the large paw prints of a wolf, he began discreetly sniffing the air and caught Anne's scent. He began looking around, but he couldn't see her. So he glared around and snarled so that she would know he was angry with her, but despite her sadness at angering her friend she didn't regret coming out here. They all laughed and talked for about five minutes before the girls noticed that their mother had come, hugged David goodnight, and left.

As soon as they were out of sight he turned to the creek and waited for Anne. "Are you coming?" he asked the trees.

    Anne slowly came out and began walking through the water  again to get to the rocks where he stood. She looked up at his disapproving face and looked away. She decided to get back on his good side by being as cute as possible knowing full well that he couldn't stay angry at a dog. Seeing as she looks like one she might as well use it to her advantage. She looked up at him with her best puppy eyes, and started rubbing her head on his leg.

"That won't work Anne" he said.

Yet she didn't stop. He sat down and petted her on the head so she put her head and front paws on his lap and snuggled up to him.

"You could have been hurt or killed or dissected or something. You know that right?" She looked up at him with puppy eyes and nodded.

"Then why?" So she looked up at the sky trying to think of how best to show him, but she didn't have to. He suddenly knew.

"You just wanted to be free for once. Free from what they did to you." He said in disbelief of his own words. "Wait, where did that come from?”

"My mind.” Anne though as she backed away staring at David in fear wanting to run but wanting to know what else he knows.

"Anne? What’s going on? Is this true? Did someone do something to you?" His words were painful, so full of fear and anger. She took another step back. "Anne please. . ." He pleaded desperate to keep her from running and leaving him there with so many unanswered questions.

"What’s going on?" He asked.

"I don't know." Anne thought.

"Well that’s not helpful." He stated. Anne tilled her head.

"What’s not helpful" she thought.

"You not knowing anything." He stated thinking deeply. Anne realized it a second before David. "Sweet! I can read your mind" He said as the realization hit him.

"Oh god!" She thought as she started running toward her apartment.

"Anne!" David shouted in vain as she shrank into the distance barely avoiding getting hit by a car.

"S**t! S**t! S**t!" She swore as David's cries faded away behind her.

    In her head she still felt him. In fact she could still hear him. Faintly she could hear thoughts that weren't her own. How long had they been there? She tried to focus on them to try and figure out what he knew. At the same time she worked on building a wall around her memories of all the bad things. The wall was the strongest wall she could have ever imagined. To her great relief he didn't know much. She felt him prodding just like she was. After she got safely into her home, she shifted back and put on some clothes. She curled up into a ball as best she could. Then she reached out to David.

"David? Can you hear me?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry I ran. I just got scared."

"Of What!?" He sounded so hurt. "I have never hurt you. Why would you feel the need to run from me?"

"I just panicked I have never heard anyone else’s voice in my head before."

"Neither have I and I didn't run." He stated. "And what did who do to you?" Anne was silent for a long time.

"I don't know what to tell you David. . . I'm afraid."

"Afraid of what!" He said obviously perturbed. Again a long pause. "Anne! Talk to me!!"

"I don't want to tell you the truth, because if you know then you might hate me, or feel bad for me." He could feel her tears, so he didn't knock on the door when he reached it he just slid down the wall, and sat on the floor. waiting to see if she would let him. "I can't say it not to you. Can't you just pretend that you don't know anything and never bring it up again and we can go back to the way things were?"

"I won't hate you. I can't even stay mad at you for very long. Please . . . Anne I am your best friend. Tell me. Trust me." He pleaded. She paused again, but only for a moment.

"Alright, you can know but I can't tell you. I will only show you."

"Fine." He said. She waved her hand toward the door to unlock it without getting up off the floor.

"Come in then."

    David stood, turned the door knob and entered the apartment without a word. After he shut the door and locked it he turned to find Anne in front of the sofa. Her face in her knees, shaking all over with tears and fear. He walked over and sat cross-legged in front of her. Anne gathered her strength. taking David's hands she hoped that her friend would understand and give her strength. She pulled his mind in closer to her own and he came willingly as she knew he would. Holding him there she took down the wall and forced all of her memories into his mind one by one starting at the beginning. She did it just so that he would almost live each one. After he saw the last of them she pulled back and slowly pushed him back into his own mind. Then all she can do is, wait for him to react to it all. She braced herself for the worst, but it never came. In a split second he threw out his arms and hugged her. At first she was shocked and the sudden movement made her jump. After a second she loosened up and hugged him back. Slowly realizing that he was crying and shaking. She could in that moment feel tremendous sorrow and anger rolling off him in waves.

    They sat there for a moment crying together. Then David stood up and turned away. After he finished pulling himself back together he walked over to the small table near the door. opening Anne's purse he pulled out the small pouch that housed her pocket knife. Then he turned to her and said "I am destroying this and I never want to find out that you were cutting again" as he stared hard at her to press the message.

     As she stared back at him she considered protesting, but decided better of it and chose to go with his decision instead. She figured that she had hurt him enough not telling him before so giving him this one thing doesn't seem so bad.

"Let’s spar." David suggested while calling his broad sword to materialize in his hand with a flick of his wrist.

    Shadows swirled into his right hand solidifying into the shape of a sword made of shadows. The handle was two dragons twisting around a tower and at the end was a shadow jewel that turned the most brilliant shade of crimson when blood was on the blade. The hilt was the tails of the dragons. The blade had wisps of darkness coming off it and was almost transparent if you looked at it close enough. Thought few would ever want to get that close to it.

"Alright that sounds good" Anne said as she stood and wiped away the tears.

    She summoned her sword in the same way as David had. A flick of her wrist and light swirled into her right hand solidifying into the shape of a thin, light, feminine looking sword, made of light. The handle was the body of a white dragon. The mouth of the dragon opened onto the blade. The hilt was the wings of the dragon. Her blade glowed with a holy light that was blinding if looked upon directly. Anne lifted her blade and sliced the air creating a glowing white rift just long enough for them to walk through. Anne motioned for David to go through first. After he passed through the narrow opening she followed him into a white space that seemed to go on forever. This is one of the abilities of Anne's blade. Anything they needed or wanted for sparing or training came to them while in this room. After Anne set both feet down inside the room to rift to her apartment sealed.

    They stood a few feet apart and crossed blades creating sparks from the close contact of the karmicly opposite blades. As they began walking in a circle keeping the blades touching, they smiled at each other as dark enemies began to appear and come closer. In a split second David had taken Anne's hand and thrown her over his head and rushed forward to battle the oncoming advisory. They began battling their phantom foes as the terrain changed and shifted to make things more interesting. Anne jumped off a bench and round house kicked an enemy and as she came around she slashed at its throat, and it exploded in a cloud of dark smoke that quickly dissipated. She took a quick step back to assess the figures coming toward her, and to put her back against David's. As he slashed another figure from right shoulder to left hip, causing it to explode as well.

"How many you up to now?" Anne asked with a grin.

"Oh I dunno, maybe 22 or so." he said in an arrogant tone.

"Ha! I so got you beat!" She said as she cut the legs off of another and then ran her weapon through its forehead. "That makes 25!" she added with a rush of breath.

 David chuckled as he added “It’s all good.” Then did a flip in the air over three phantoms slicing their heads in half from ear to ear and landing on a stool, spinning and taking off four heads. "Hmm I think that puts me at about 29 doesn't it?" He asked with as a huge s**t eating grin spread across his face.

    Suddenly a knocking sound broke through the crashing and clanking of the battle, and everything stopped. Faceless enemies disappeared and the ground leveled. "Someone is at the door." Anne said as she sliced the air again creating a rift in nothing. “Come on we'll finish this later." She grinned and added "And I will beat you." They stepped through the rip and into the living room of Anne's apartment. After both stepped through they flicked their wrists again and their swords disappeared just as easily as they had appeared.

"Just a second! I'm coming." She stated as she rushed to the door.

    David sat down on the sofa and waited to see who had so rudely interrupted his fun. Anne opened the door and greeted the smiling faces of two friends and one stranger. "Hey guys come on in." She stated and they came in one by one. The first was a tall thin boy with dark shaggy hair and eyeliner. Wearing black pants with straps hanging off of them, and t-shirt that states "I taught your boyfriend that thing you like." The second was a girl with long brunette hair, wearing a long flowing black gypsy skirt, and a plain dark pink "V" neck shirt. The third was a tall sculpted man with a square jaw that held a tasteful goatee. He had hazel eyes, and long black hair pulled back in a pony tail. He was dressed in dark jeans and a button down black shirt. Anne looked at him hard before turning to her friends.

"Ha! Look at him all you want, but I don't like him. He is too pretty."  David stated in Anne's mind.

"Whatever, it’s not like I am gonna go out with the dude I don't even know his name. I just thought he looked good. Can't I admire god's handy work?" She replied with a grin. "So, Misha, Ry what brings you all over?"

"Yah and who is he?" David added.

    "Oh, sorry this is Garon. He's an old friend. I ran into him the other day. Oh, we were sitten at my house and decided that we should get out and do something. Then just as we were walking out the door Garon called and wanted to hang. We grabbed him and he lived not too far from here so Ry was like "I wanna go see Anne!!" so here we are." Misha explained.

"Uh, hey Anne can I ask a favor?" Ry asked

"Sure hunny, what’s up?" Anne said.

"Can we spend the night? We even got a bunch of junk food and rented some movies."

    Anne turned to David and looked into his eyes quickly "Will you stay too? I don't know that guy and he looks like he could be trouble if he wanted to be." David nodded and Anne looked back to Ry and said "Sure it sounds fun."

    Ry opened his bag and pulled out a stack of scary and funny movies. "The food is out in the car."

"Alright I'll go get it." Anne said standing up and walking over to Misha to get the keys.

"Oh there's a lot of bags and they’re in the trunk. Hey Garon will you help her?"

    "Sure." Garon stated in a voice that Anne found very smooth, deep, and attractive. Something in his voice seemed interesting and mysterious. It kind of made her want to look him over, but manners kept her eyes still on the spot just to his left.
   
"I'll kill him." said David quickly. Then she looked at him and rolled her eyes. She was so used to him threatening to kill any man that Anne even looked at.

"Oh. No. Its fine I'm sure I can get it all." Anne said politely.

"Really I don't mind." He added as he opened the door and waited for Anne to go through first.

"Well he's polite, but he's still pretty. If something happens scream and I'll kill him." David added as she walked out of the apartment.

    Anne felt somewhat self-concise walking ahead of Garon. She could feel his eyes on her back, and she wondered whether it was her imagination. She felt her cheeks heat up as he brushed past her to get to the door at the end of the hall first to hold it open. Something was different about this man. She could smell something other than pheromones coming off of him. It was a familiar scent. For the short moment he was ahead of her she looked at his back, and noticed that it was broad and muscular looking just like the rest of his body. He stood strangely upright for someone that grew up in the middle Iowa, where Anne had lived her whole life.
    All the people she had known had never had a lot of money. Most of them had been in trouble with the law on more than one occasion. Some of her current friends smoked weed frequently, some had kids at a young age, but the one thing that all her friends had in common was pain. All of them had been rejects in school and had bad lives all around. She wondered what his life had been like. Had his parents been hard on him? Had they ignored him, or broken up? He was too handsome to have had to hard of a time in school. His clothes looked expensive, so he probably had money, but was it his or was it his parents? Was he born here? Now that she thought about it his accent was a little different. In that moment she decided to take a chance, so as she pulled out Misha's keys to unlock the trunk.

"So . . . Uhm where are you from?"

"Well I have always moved around a lot, but I was born here. My father worked a lot, and so did my mother so I was dragged all over the world. My mother is from here and my father is Irish." He explained.

"Oh, I have always lived here. What brought you back here?"

"Well my mother used to talk about how much she loved it here so when I turned 18 I decided to move here." He answered.

"Oh. I think we got it all now." Anne said as she slammed the trunk.

     When they got to the door Anne purposely got there first and opened the door for Garon. Whom couldn't have opened it anyway, because in his politeness he had filled both hands. Anne smiled as she started to ascend the stairs to her apartment. Once they returned Anne led Garon into the dining room to deposit the bags onto the table.

"I’m gonna put all this in bowls and stuff. Thanks for your help." Anne said over the bar as she started grabbing bowls and silverware from the kitchen."

"No problem is there anything else I can do to help."

"Oh . . . Uh. Yah, I guess you could, um, take everything out of the bags, and put the bags in that thing on the wall there." She said shyly and pointed to the plastic bag holder hanging on the wall in the kitchen. "Thanks again." Anne said smiling shyly.

Anne and Garon returned to the living room and deposited all the snacks on the coffee table.

"Hey Anne which one do you want to watch?" Ry asked with a smile holding up a selection of movies for her to look over. "We can't decide. We've been sitting here arguing for, like, five minutes."

"How about this one?" Anne said holding up a particularly gory looking movie. "Any objections?" She asked as she showed the cover to everyone in the room. After everyone nodded in agreement. "Ok I guess this is it then."

"I'll put it in the player for you." Garon offered kindly. Before anyone could say anything David had taken the movie out of Anne's hand and started across the room to the T.V.

"Now he's just showing off." David said aggravatedly.

"WTF man he was just being nice." Anne said offended. She looked at Garon and smiled trying to apologies for David.

"He was just trying to get in your pants! I've been watching him and he stares at you when you’re not looking. I might have to kill him." David said in a half joking half serious tone that left you wondering if he really might do it. Anne rolled her eyes and sat down on the floor between Ry's knees.

    David kept a close eye on Garon until he passed out during the third movie. Ry and Misha had gone to sleep in Anne's spare room that was going to be David's when he graduated college. When the credits for the third movie started to roll Anne looked around and assessed the room. She slowly got up and started cleaning up all of the snacks. She picked up a bowl and a few empty glasses and headed for the kitchen. Anne deposited the glasses in the sink and opened the fridge and started making room for the bowl when she heard a clink and jumped up suddenly her blade almost coming to her hand. She looks around in the dark. When she couldn't see in the absolute darkness of the kitchen she sniffed the air and a shiver of fear ran down her spine as she realized it was Garon.

"Hey Garon, I thought I was the only one left awake." She said trying to sound nonchalant.

"How did you know it was me? I can't even see my own hand in front of my face." He said with an audible smile.

"Oh . . . I. . . I'm just good like that I guess." She answered trying to laugh as she inched to the light switch. Suddenly she bumped into a solid chest with broad shoulders attached. Her heart began to race as she accidentally took his scent deep into her lungs. "Sorry" She forced out slowly pulling away from him with some difficulty. There was just something in his scent that made her want to curl up on his chest and be content. It was kind of hard to resist. "Uh" she stammered as she started walking to the door. "Um I'm gonna go . . . out on the balcony and have a smoke. Don't worry about the dishes and stuff I'll get them when I come back in." Anne rushed as smoothly and stethaly as possible. Hopefully a cigarette would calm her down and get the images of kissing this total stranger out of her mind.

    Garon stood in the kitchen holding his breath. He didn't want to let her scent out of his nostrils. He smelled fear on her which saddened him. He didn't want her to fear him. Why should she fear him? He was meant to be with her. A wolf always knew his mate right away. Playing dumb was hard when he had spent his whole life dreaming of her and hearing her cry out to him. All the things men had done to her sickened him.  He  wanted to avenge her honor, but people didn't do those things anymore. He wanted to comfort her, to make all the nightmares go away. He couldn't understand how any man could do such things to any female. Garon went to stand in the hallway just out of sight of the balcony. He watched her back as she took one drag after another and tried to calm down. He knew it was going to be hard to get her to trust him but he had waited this long and nothing was going to scare him off. He glanced at David sleeping on the couch and glared at him. What the hell was his deal? Did he think he had some kind of claim on his mate?! If he was so f*****g protective than why did all those things happen to Anne? Garon knew that David had been in Anne's life for a long time. He had gotten that information from Misha and Ry. So where the hell was he when all this was happening? If he had been there, there would be some guys walking around with their dicks in a jar. He didn't care if it would have meant going to jail he would have castrated the b******s faster that they could blink. Suddenly his thoughts were interrupted. The room shifted. He began to open his senses but before he could even take a good look around there was something cold on his throat. "Hello David" Garon said calmly.

"Hello Garon." David said with a grin in his voice. "You let your guard down, but then sometimes a girl can disarm you." He said glancing at Anne. "Sadly for you, you picked the wrong one." He said with a hint of anger in his voice.

"I don't mean any harm." He stated putting his hands up as if it was a gun pointed at his back and not a sword to his throat.

"Ok then piss off!"

"Why are you gonna claim her as your mate? If so, and you truly love her then I will back down. If not then give me a chance. If I hurt her in any way I will behead myself." Garon said with as much conviction as he could.

"But if you behead yourself what fun will be left for me." David said with laughter in his voice. "And what do you mean, mate? What are you?"

Garon pushed the blade way and slid out of David's grasp. "I'm a half-breed half were wolf, half vamp. Look all I am asking for is a chance to make her happy." He pleaded.

David took a step forward and Garon tensed in preparation to move away again. “Fine, but this isn't baseball you only get one strike before I come after you." David held out his hand and Garon took his forearm in a warriors embrace. “I’m going to bed. In Anne's room." He added the last sentence with a hint of warning.

"Wait. So what are you?"

"I'm a demon." David said not even bothering to turn around. He could smell Garon's fear hit the air the second he said that last word. David grinned at it and walked off. It pleased him that Garon feared him now. It was just as it should be in his opinion. Anyone that was walking such a fine line between life and death should fear failure. Anne may not like it, but anyone who tried to hurt her from now on would swiftly find out how sharp his blade was.

"Anne?"

"Yah? What’s up? Why am I getting a blood lusty vibe off you? Are you thinking about killing Garon? He hasn't even touched me. "

"He doesn't have to. He so much as looks at you wrong and I'll kill him. But that’s not what I wanted to talk to you about. I am going to sleep in your room I'll be waiting for you to make sure nothing funny goes down." David said sending a flash of Garon trying to grab her a*s and getting knocked into space like in an anime.

"Ha ha David." Anne replied mock laughing. "I'm gonna finish this cigarette and then I will be in to bed. I can hear Garon settling down on the couch right now. I think he has given up for the night. S**t! I forgot to get him a blanket and pillow. I'll be there in a minute." Anne said tossing her cigarette over the balcony and rushing inside. Once she had given Garon a blanket and pillow from the closet she went into the bed room. "So what did you do to the poor guy?" She asked David as she pulled her favorite black skull and cross bones night gown out of the drawer.

"I just told him to watch his a*s and to stop looking at yours," David said laughing. As Anne pulled her t-shirt off and unclasped her bra. She unbuttoned and unzipped her jeans before pulling the night gown over her head.

"Yah right that’s all you said." She said sarcastically as she pulled her jeans down and tossed all her dirty clothes in the basket in her closet. "I think the important question is how did you say it?" She asked as she put her hands on her hips and glared at him before taking her socks off and tossing them after her clothes.

"Well . . ." David said with a very large grin on his face.

"Yah that’s what I thought." She responded climbing under the covers and getting comfortable. David smiled and leaned back against the head board.


    David sat in the darkness unable to sleep.  It didn’t bother him he never slept.  He held a dark secret. A secret that he was sure Anne knew though he had never told her.  He looked down at her.  Her skin looked as if it were glowing under the moon light.

"God your beautiful" He said. 

    There was no longing in his voice just a statement of fact nothing more.  He began thinking of the events of the day.  He thought about the movies they had watched.  He thought about his friends and how they had the power to keep his demon at bay.  He thought about his new acquaintance Garon and how he longed for the day when he could wrap his hands around the man’s throat without restraint.  Then another thought occurred to him.  The memories he had recently experienced through Anne.  He could feel his blood begin to boil as he sat in the dark.  Then he thought about something that he had long suppressed and concealed.  His grandfather’s death and how he had done it.  His blood began boiling over and he could feel the changes to his face beginning.  He could feel the fangs coming to his mouth and the hard scales growing from his skin.  He hated it, he wanted to destroy it, but he knew to destroy it would only kill him as well.  "S**t" He said his voice already becoming deeper and raspy.  Well I guess I have to let it out every once in a while.  He began changing back and once he reached his human form he walked into living room. 

    Garon had gone to sleep on the couch.  He could tell the man was asleep his heightened senses told him so.  He could smell the fact that his body temperature had dropped and could hear the steady breathing coming from the strangely visible couch.  He walked to the balcony and out the sliding glass door.  He stood for a moment taking in the sight of what was around him. ‘Great’ he thought there was an empty rooftop directly over from him.  There he could keep an eye on Anne's apartment as well as release his bottled up anger.  He began the change going through the same sensations.  'Damn it hurts when I do this’ David thought but at the same time it felt so good. Before he had fully changed he leapt from the balcony and began plummeting toward the ground.  He let himself fantasize for a moment of falling and breaking his neck on the concrete below and ending it all.  Then before he hit his wings thrust their way through his back.  'That’s the worst part' he thought with a slight grin. 

    He began soaring up toward the rooftop.  He reached the top and landed soundlessly.  He could feel the anger of the beast he had become.  This beast that was born of his own anger, this beast that killed not indiscriminately but killed none the less.  He flicked his wrist and his sword came to him.  He then closed his eyes and concentrated.  He could see his energy and with his mind he began to split it almost directly in half.  He knew it was dangerous to split his energies in two he had learned that the first time he had done this. When he opened his eyes he looked straight forward at a man that could have passed as his twin but in actuality it was him.  The new doppelganger was holding the same sword and wore the same wicked grin if you could call it that.  It was more like watching his forty fangs mesh together.  "Well shall we begin a*****e?"

"I think we shall cocksucker." The thing responded. 

They began their deadly dance on that rooftop.  There was something poetic about it.  As if David were killing the anger within himself.  They threw and parried blows back and forth moving at almost lightning speed. Then it happened. The copy cut into David’s skin through his scales.  'Hell no' he thought and at that moment his anger boiled over yet again and he charged the copy.  His fangs found their target and he drained all of the blood from the copies throat.

“Dam it how am I going to explain this to Anne.”

    He looked toward the horizon and noticed the sun’s rays beginning to penetrate the darkness around him.  It wouldn't be safe for him any longer out here he flew back to the balcony he raised a little before it and began changing back luckily this process was much faster than the change into it.  He chalked it up to the fact that he hated the form and could not wait to get back to his normal one.  He walked in to find Garon still asleep he then walked down the hall toward Anne's room he laid down on her bed next to her he laid his arm over here and then entered his unconscious state that couldn’t really be called sleep.



    Anne woke the next morning to find David's hand on her stomach. She smiled realizing that in this rare act of physical contact David was showing how much he cared. She noticed a bit of blood on his shoulder. She rolled her eyes. She held her hand above the wound that was almost healed and sped up the process. The blood seemed to evaporate as the wound turned into a light scar.

    Anne slipped gently out from under his hand and caught the smell of coffee and Garon. She could hear Ry and Misha sleeping in the other room and decided to go have a cup. She walked lightly into the kitchen hoping to surprise Garon and repay him for scaring her last night.

"Hello Anne." Garon said with his back still to her.

"How did you know it was me?" Anne asked with a smile. She was in a strangely good mood this morning and it seemed that Garon only improved her mood. She grabbed a glass and mixed her two favorite flavors of creamers with three table spoons of sugar before adding her coffee just like she did every morning. She decided to sit at the table across from Garon and pull her knees up to her chest and pulled her night gown down to keep out the cold. “So what do you do?"

"I own my own company."

"Really what does it do?" Anne asked.

"Umm well we make video games mostly, but we also do manga and anime. I love bringing Japanese culture to America. In fact I am working on bringing a Japanese band over here.  I just need to find a place for the lead singer to stay. I figure they should experience the culture too, so I am having them live with hosts here in the states."

"Really?" She asked truly interested. "Well I would love if he or she could stay here until David graduates I don't have a roommate." She offered. "Ha David your really gonna hate this guy."

"Why what did he do now? Do I need to come out there?" He asked standing up off the bed.

"No it’s nothing like that sit down." She said mentally rolling her eyes.

"Then what"

"He owns a video game company." She answered mentally grinning at him.

"Oh I am gonna kill him!" David said out loud and mentally

"Who's David gonna kill? I hope it’s not me." Garon said with a smirk.

"Huh?! You heard that?" Anne was shocked and somewhat frightened at the prospect that someone else could hear her or David's thoughts.

"Well yah he said it out loud."

    Anne breathed a sigh of relief before returning her focus to Garon. "Wait, no normal person could have heard that. David is all the way in my room with the door shut and he didn't say it that loud." She stared at him waiting for a plausible explanation.

    Garon sighed and looked into Anne's eyes. "Well I heard it because I am not a normal person. I am half were-wolf."

"And what’s the other half?"

Garon was taken off guard. He didn't see that one coming." Vampire"

"What kind?" Anne looked very stern. David got stiff as he stood in the hall.

"Sang." Garon answered into his coffee.

"Sanguinairian?" She said more stating it than asking a question. David stopped just before he came around the corner. Anne shifted her shoulder as flashes ran through both of their minds. For David they seemed more recent and bitter, but to Anne they were old wounds that she forced aside and changed the subject. "So how long will the band be in the states?"

    Garon just stared at Anne, hating himself for what he was, but still determined all the same to show her that not all sang. vampires were the same. "Well I don't know for sure are you certain you will be able to afford another person?"

"Yah my father pays for everything I don't even have a real job I just baby-sit and go shopping and help my father with anything he needs."

"Oh he doesn't live with your mother anymore?" He said motioning toward the picture on the wall.

"Huh? Oh yah no that’s not who I meant. That’s my Mom and Dad. I grew up with them and they gave birth to me, but I meant my real father. Actually I guess he's kind of your father too. He is the first were-wolf. When he was young he had a child with an angel. That was my first life. I have only had three lives. This is the third. In my first I turned dark and did dark things." Anne looked down. "In the second I was dark but I started to do good things but I failed because the others around me weren't ready. So in this life I get to have my wings. I get to be light and do good things." Anne smiled. Somehow there was still sadness in her eyes as she smiled. Garon wondered if she blamed all the bad things on the fact that she was a fighter for good. Evil things love to put out bright lights, and pull the wings off of beautiful angels.

Garon sat silently thinking about what Anne had just told him when his thoughts were interrupted.

"Oh my god, Yay! I smell coffee."Ry stated coming across the hall into the dining room followed closely by Misha. David sat down next to Anne and glared at Garon before speaking.

"Good morning all."

"Morning David. You want some coffee?" Anne said standing.

"Sure. Sounds good."

"Stop glaring at the man you'll get wrinkles." Anne said sternly. "Not to mention it’s rude."

"Just some hazel nut creamer thanks." David said with a smile.

    Anne went into the kitchen. "Morning guys." She said smiling at Ry and Misha. Ry's cell phone rang and he looked at it closed his eyes and set his coffee down and hugged her. "Oh Anne, will you save me from this psycho?!"

"What is your ex still stalking you?"

"Yah, he's crazy." Ry cried in Anne's shoulder.

Anne sighed "I am about to go David on his a*s." she stated.

"What’s that supposed to mean?" David asked from his the dining room.

"Well I guess I am gonna have to kill him." She said smiling as Ry backed off and sat on the counter and drank some of his coffee.

"I do not say that, that much." He said indignantly as he came into the kitchen.

    "Whatever you say that all the time!" She said starting to giggle. "I'll kill him. I’ll kill him. Blah, blah, blah. You’re all talk you big softy. You love me too much to break my heart by killing any man that looks at my a*s or asks me on a date." She said getting in his face and laughing. "Only for you." David admitted Anne stuck her tongue out and pulled down her right lower eye lid and laughed again. David stood very still and looked at her trying not to smile to bad. Suddenly David grabbed Anne's hand spun her into his chest and started tickling her sides. "Not fair you a*s hole!!" Anne said laughing uncontrollably struggling to get free. Everyone in the kitchen laughed. Garon stared on from where he still sat smiling and longing for the day when he could even hug her. He feared that it would be very long time before that day would come.


© 2012 Angelwolf


Author's Note

Angelwolf
I re-wrote some parts in here for those of you who have already read it, I hope it flows better now.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Lou,

It has been a while since I have been here. It is good to read your work again. Your use of double spacing makes this chapter easier to read.The dialog is great. It is apparent that you have a gift for conversational dialog.
I have a few suggestions. It is good writing sense to punch up a story the same way you would a joke or an entire set. This chapter is too long. There are some paragraphs that need to be separated into individual thoughts.

Another problem that I see as I try to be an objective reader, is that there is no "set up", or introduction to the characters. If possible, insert a little more info and flesh out the characters. There is enough info contained in this chapter as you have written it, to fill three chapters.

I see that you used dashes to separate some of the parts of the story. I would suggest that at those points you just start a new chapter heading. Short chapters can be a great writing device in a novel. This is especially true when there is so much detail that needs to be conveyed. You have a great plot and sub-plot going here, and I can feel the potential for the "flow" throughout.

There are also some basic grammatical errors. Try to avoid lengthy run-on sentences. You will lose a reader's attention. It is the same principal that you would use in joke writing. Whenever possible, keep sentences on topic and to the point. I do not mean to strip it down to bare bones. In fact I mean just the opposite. By using concise sentences, you can separate some of the clauses into individual thoughts. By doing this you will avoid run-on sentences.

I also notice that you have mixed past tense with present tense in a few areas. It is important that you use one "tense", to avoid confusion. It is also a good idea to avoid the repeated use of pronouns such as "he" "she", "her", "it", etc. Pronouns tend to be confusing to the reader because they lose track of what name belongs to whom.

Here is an example:

Your original paragraph:
The first snow fall of the year was steady and beautiful. It turned Anne's whole world white in one afternoon. The thought occurred to her to shift into her wolf form and run, no one would see her, she would blend right in being just a white as the snow. She wanted to call David and ask him if they could go for a run tonight, but then remembered that he wasn't home. Would he be angry if she ran alone? She knew what he would say, she could hear his ranting in her head as though she had already done it.


Here it is as I would suggest:
The first snow fall of the year is steady and beautiful. Anne's whole world has turned to white in just one afternoon. The thought occurs to her, "I would love to shift into the form of a wolf and run into the snow." With her pure white coat, Anne will blend into the snowy landscape. No one would even notice her lithe form as she moves along the trail.

Anne thinks about calling David, to ask him if they could go for a run this evening. But just as quick she remembers that he isn't home. Would David be angry if she ran alone? She knew the answer to that question. Anne can picture David's ranting. In her mind David's reaction is as real as if she had actually left for a run.



I hope that my suggestions do not offend you. I welcome the return favor. Please feel free to be brutally honest as you review any of my postings.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews



"Oh, sorry this is Garon. He's an old friend. I ran into him the other day. Oh, we were sitten at my house and decided that we should get out and do something. Then just as we were walking out the door Garon called and wanted to hang. We grabbed him and he lived not too far from here so Ry was like "I wanna go see Anne!!" so here we are." Misha explained.

"Uh, hey Anne can I ask a favor?" Ry asked

"Sure hunny, what’s up?" Anne said.

"Can we spend the night? We even got a bunch of junk food and rented some movies."

Anne turned to David and looked into his eyes quickly "Will you stay too? I don't know that guy and he looks like he could be trouble if he wanted to be." David nodded and Anne looked back to Ry and said "Sure it sounds fun."

Ry opened his bag and pulled out a stack of scary and funny movies. "The food is out in the car."

"Alright I'll go get it." Anne said standing up and walking over to Misha to get the keys.

"Oh there's a lot of bags and they’re in the trunk. Hey Garon will you help her?"

"Sure." Garon stated in a voice that Anne found very smooth, deep, and attractive. Something in his voice seemed interesting and mysterious. It kind of made her want to look him over, but manners kept her eyes still on the spot just to his left.

"I'll kill him." said David quickly. Then she looked at him and rolled her eyes. She was so used to him threatening to kill any man that Anne even looked at.

"Oh. No. Its fine I'm sure I can get it all." Anne said politely.

"Really I don't mind." He added as he opened the door and waited for Anne to go through first.

"Well he's polite, but he's still pretty. If something happens scream and I'll kill him." David added as she walked out of the apartment.

Anne felt somewhat self-concise walking ahead of Garon. She could feel his eyes on her back, and she wondered whether it was her imagination. She felt her cheeks heat up as he brushed past her to get to the door at the end of the hall first to hold it open. Something was different about this man. She could smell something other than pheromones coming off of him. It was a familiar scent. For the short moment he was ahead of her she looked at his back, and noticed that it was broad and muscular looking just like the rest of his body. He stood strangely upright for someone that grew up in the middle Iowa, where Anne had lived her whole life.
All the people she had known had never had a lot of money. Most of them had been in trouble with the law on more than one occasion. Some of her current friends smoked weed frequently, some had kids at a young age, but the one thing that all her friends had in common was pain. All of them had been rejects in school and had bad lives all around. She wondered what his life had been like. Had his parents been hard on him? Had they ignored him, or broken up? He was too handsome to have had to hard of a time in school. His clothes looked expensive, so he probably had money, but was it his or was it his parents? Was he born here? Now that she thought about it his accent was a little different. In that moment she decided to take a chance, so as she pulled out Misha's keys to unlock the trunk.

"So . . . Uhm where are you from?"

"Well I have always moved around a lot, but I was born here. My father worked a lot, and so did my mother so I was dragged all over the world. My mother is from here and my father is Irish." He explained.

"Oh, I have always lived here. What brought you back here?"

"Well my mother used to talk about how much she loved it here so when I turned 18 I decided to move here." He answered.

"Oh. I think we got it all now." Anne said as she slammed the trunk.

When they got to the door Anne purposely got there first and opened the door for Garon. Whom couldn't have opened it anyway, because in his politeness he had filled both hands. Anne smiled as she started to ascend the stairs to her apartment. Once they returned Anne led Garon into the dining room to deposit the bags onto the table.

"I’m gonna put all this in bowls and stuff. Thanks for your help." Anne said over the bar as she started grabbing bowls and silverware from the kitchen."

"No problem is there anything else I can do to help."

"Oh . . . Uh. Yah, I guess you could, um, take everything out of the bags, and put the bags in that thing on the wall there." She said shyly and pointed to the plastic bag holder hanging on the wall in the kitchen. "Thanks again." Anne said smiling shyly.

Anne and Garon returned to the living room and deposited all the snacks on the coffee table.

"Hey Anne which one do you want to watch?" Ry asked with a smile holding up a selection of movies for her to look over. "We can't decide. We've been sitting here arguing for, like, five minutes."

"How about this one?" Anne said holding up a particularly gory looking movie. "Any objections?" She asked as she showed the cover to everyone in the room. After everyone nodded in agreement. "Ok I guess this is it then."

"I'll put it in the player for you." Garon offered kindly. Before anyone could say anything David had taken the movie out of Anne's hand and started across the room to the T.V.

"Now he's just showing off." David said aggravatedly.

"WTF man he was just being nice." Anne said offended. She looked at Garon and smiled trying to apologies for David.

"He was just trying to get in your pants! I've been watching him and he stares at you when you’re not looking. I might have to kill him." David said in a half joking half serious tone that left you wondering if he really might do it. Anne rolled her eyes and sat down on the floor between Ry's knees.

David kept a close eye on Garon until he passed out during the third movie. Ry and Misha had gone to sleep in Anne's spare room that was going to be David's when he graduated college. When the credits for the third movie started to roll Anne looked around and assessed the room. She slowly got up and started cleaning up all of the snacks. She picked up a bowl and a few empty glasses and headed for the kitchen. Anne deposited the glasses in the sink and opened the fridge and started making room for the bowl when she heard a clink and jumped up suddenly her blade almost coming to her hand. She looks around in the dark. When she couldn't see in the absolute darkness of the kitchen she sniffed the air and a shiver of fear ran down her spine as she realized it was Garon.

"Hey Garon, I thought I was the only one left awake." She said trying to sound nonchalant.

"How did you know it was me? I can't even see my own hand in front of my face." He said with an audible smile.

"Oh . . . I. . . I'm just good like that I guess." She answered trying to laugh as she inched to the light switch. Suddenly she bumped into a solid chest with broad shoulders attached. Her heart began to race as she accidentally took his scent deep into her lungs. "Sorry" She forced out slowly pulling away from him with some difficulty. There was just something in his scent that made her want to curl up on his chest and be content. It was kind of hard to resist. "Uh" she stammered as she started walking to the door. "Um I'm gonna go . . . out on the balcony and have a smoke. Don't worry about the dishes and stuff I'll get them when I come back in." Anne rushed as smoothly and stethaly as possible. Hopefully a cigarette would calm her down and get the images of kissing this total stranger out of her mind.

Garon stood in the kitchen holding his breath. He didn't want to let her scent out of his nostrils. He smelled fear on her which saddened him. He didn't want her to fear him. Why should she fear him? He was meant to be with her. A wolf always knew his mate right away. Playing dumb was hard when he had spent his whole life dreaming of her and hearing her cry out to him. All the things men had done to her sickened him. He wanted to avenge her honor, but people didn't do those things anymore. He wanted to comfort her, to make all the nightmares go away. He couldn't understand how any man could do such things to any female. Garon went to stand in the hallway just out of sight of the balcony. He watched her back as she took one drag after another and tried to calm down. He knew it was going to be hard to get her to trust him but he had waited this long and nothing was going to scare him off. He glanced at David sleeping on the couch and glared at him. What the hell was his deal? Did he think he had some kind of claim on his mate?! If he was so f*****g protective than why did all those things happen to Anne? Garon knew that David had been in Anne's life for a long time. He had gotten that information from Misha and Ry. So where the hell was he when all this was happening? If he had been there, there would be some guys walking around with their dicks in a jar. He didn't care if it would have meant going to jail he would have castrated the b******s faster that they could blink. Suddenly his thoughts were interrupted. The room shifted. He began to open his senses but before he could even take a good look around there was something cold on his throat. "Hello David" Garon said calmly.

"Hello Garon." David said with a grin in his voice. "You let your guard down, but then sometimes a girl can disarm you." He said glancing at Anne. "Sadly for you, you picked the wrong one." He said with a hint of anger in his voice.

"I don't mean any harm." He stated putting his hands up as if it was a gun pointed at his back and not a sword to his throat.

"Ok then piss off!"

"Why are you gonna claim her as your mate? If so, and you truly love her then I will back down. If not then give me a chance. If I hurt her in any way I will behead myself." Garon said with as much conviction as he could.

"But if you behead yourself what fun will be left for me." David said with laughter in his voice. "And what do you mean, mate? What are you?"

Garon pushed the blade way and slid out of David's grasp. "I'm a half-breed half were wolf, half vamp. Look all I am asking for is a chance to make her happy." He pleaded.

David took a step forward and Garon tensed in preparation to move away again. “Fine, but this isn't baseball you only get one strike before I come after you." David held out his hand and Garon took his forearm in a warriors embrace. “I’m going to bed. In Anne's room." He added the last sentence with a hint of warning.

"Wait. So what are you?"

"I'm a demon." David said not even bothering to turn around. He could smell Garon's fear hit the air the second he said that last word. David grinned at it and walked off. It pleased him that Garon feared him now. It was just as it should be in his opinion. Anyone that was walking such a fine line between life and death should fear failure. Anne may not like it, but anyone who tried to hurt her from now on would swiftly find out how sharp his blade was.

"Anne?"

"Yah? What’s up? Why am I getting a blood lusty vibe off you? Are you thinking about killing Garon? He hasn't even touched me. "

"He doesn't have to. He so much as looks at you wrong and I'll kill him. But that’s not what I wanted to talk to you about. I am going to sleep in your room I'll be waiting for you to make sure nothing funny goes down." David said sending a flash of Garon trying to grab her a*s and getting knocked into space like in an anime.

"Ha ha David." Anne replied mock laughing. "I'm gonna finish this cigarette and then I will be in to bed. I can hear Garon settling down on the couch right now. I think he has given up for the night. S**t! I forgot to get him a blanket and pillow. I'll be there in a minute." Anne said tossing her cigarette over the balcony and rushing inside. Once she had given Garon a blanket and pillow from the closet she went into the bed room. "So what did you do to the poor guy?" She asked David as she pulled her favorite black skull and cross bones night gown out of the drawer.

"I just told him to watch his a*s and to stop looking at yours," David said laughing. As Anne pulled her t-shirt off and unclasped her bra. She unbuttoned and unzipped her jeans before pulling the night gown over her head.

"Yah right that’s all you said." She said sarcastically as she pulled her jeans down and tossed all her dirty clothes in the basket in her closet. "I think the important question is how did you say it?" She asked as she put her hands on her hips and glared at him before taking her socks off and tossing them after her clothes.

"Well . . ." David said with a very large grin on his face.

"Yah that’s what I thought." She responded climbing under the covers and getting comfortable. David smiled and leaned back against the head board.


David sat in the darkness unable to sleep. It didn’t bother him he never slept. He held a dark secret. A secret that he was sure Anne knew though he had never told her. He looked down at her. Her skin looked as if it were glowing under the moon light.

"God your beautiful" He said.

There was no longing in his voice just a statement of fact nothing more. He began thinking of the events of the day. He thought about the movies they had watched. He thought about his friends and how they had the power to keep his demon at bay. He thought about his new acquaintance Garon and how he longed for the day when he could wrap his hands around the man’s throat without restraint. Then another thought occurred to him. The memories he had recently experienced through Anne. He could feel his blood begin to boil as he sat in the dark. Then he thought about something that he had long suppressed and concealed. His grandfather’s death and how he had done it. His blood began boiling over and he could feel the changes to his face beginning. He could feel the fangs coming to his mouth and the hard scales growing from his skin. He hated it, he wanted to destroy it, but he knew to destroy it would only kill him as well. "S**t" He said his voice already becoming deeper and raspy. Well I guess I have to let it out every once in a while. He began changing back and once he reached his human form he walked into living room.

Garon had gone to sleep on the couch. He could tell the man was asleep his heightened senses told him so. He could smell the fact that his body temperature had dropped and could hear the steady breathing coming from the strangely visible couch. He walked to the balcony and out the sliding glass door. He stood for a moment taking in the sight of what was around him. ‘Great’ he thought there was an empty rooftop directly over from him. There he could keep an eye on Anne's apartment as well as release his bottled up anger. He began the change going through the same sensations. 'Damn it hurts when I do this’ David thought but at the same time it felt so good. Before he had fully changed he leapt from the balcony and began plummeting toward the ground. He let himself fantasize for a moment of falling and breaking his neck on the concrete below and ending it all. Then before he hit his wings thrust their way through his back. 'That’s the worst part' he thought with a slight grin.

He began soaring up toward the rooftop. He reached the top and landed soundlessly. He could feel the anger of the beast he had become. This beast that was born of his own anger, this beast that killed not indiscriminately but killed none the less. He flicked his wrist and his sword came to him. He then closed his eyes and concentrated. He could see his energy and with his mind he began to split it almost directly in half. He knew it was dangerous to split his energies in two he had learned that the first time he had done this. When he opened his eyes he looked straight forward at a man that could have passed as his twin but in actuality it was him. The new doppelganger was holding the same sword and wore the same wicked grin if you could call it that. It was more like watching his forty fangs mesh together. "Well shall we begin a*****e?"

"I think we shall cocksucker." The thing responded.

They began their deadly dance on that rooftop. There was something poetic about it. As if David were killing the anger within himself. They threw and parried blows back and forth moving at almost lightning speed. Then it happened. The copy cut into David’s skin through his scales. 'Hell no' he thought and at that moment his anger boiled over yet again and he charged the copy. His fangs found their target and he drained all of the blood from the copies throat.

“Dam it how am I going to explain this to Anne.”

He looked toward the horizon and noticed the sun’s rays beginning to penetrate the darkness around him. It wouldn't be safe for him any longer out here he flew back to the balcony he raised a little before it and began changing back luckily this process was much faster than the change into it. He chalked it up to the fact that he hated the form and could not wait to get back to his normal one. He walked in to find Garon still asleep he then walked down the hall toward Anne's room he laid down on her bed next to her he laid his arm over here and then entered his unconscious state that couldn’t really be called sleep.



Anne woke the next morning to find David's hand on her stomach. She smiled realizing that in this rare act of physical contact David was showing how much he cared. She noticed a bit of blood on his shoulder. She rolled her eyes. She held her hand above the wound that was almost healed and sped up the process. The blood seemed to evaporate as the wound turned into a light scar.

Anne slipped gently out from under his hand and caught the smell of coffee and Garon. She could hear Ry and Misha sleeping in the other room and decided to go have a cup. She walked lightly into the kitchen hoping to surprise Garon and repay him for scaring her last night.

"Hello Anne." Garon said with his back still to her.

"How did you know it was me?" Anne asked with a smile. She was in a strangely good mood this morning and it seemed that Garon only improved her mood. She grabbed a glass and mixed her two favorite flavors of creamers with three table spoons of sugar before adding her coffee just like she did every morning. She decided to sit at the table across from Garon and pull her knees up to her chest and pulled her night gown down to keep out the cold. “So what do you do?"

"I own my own company."

"Really what does it do?" Anne asked.

"Umm well we make video games mostly, but we also do manga and anime. I love bringing Japanese culture to America. In fact I am working on bringing a Japanese band over here. I just need to find a place for the lead singer to stay. I figure they should experience the culture too, so I am having them live with hosts here in the states."

"Really?" She asked truly interested. "Well I would love if he or she could stay here until David graduates I don't have a roommate." She offered. "Ha David your really gonna hate this guy."

"Why what did he do now? Do I need to come out there?" He asked standing up off the bed.

"No it’s nothing like that sit down." She said mentally rolling her eyes.

"Then what"

"He owns a video game company." She answered mentally grinning at him.

"Oh I am gonna kill him!" David said out loud and mentally

"Who's David gonna kill? I hope it’s not me." Garon said with a smirk.

"Huh?! You heard that?" Anne was shocked and somewhat frightened at the prospect that someone else could hear her or David's thoughts.

"Well yah he said it out loud."

Anne breathed a sigh of relief before returning her focus to Garon. "Wait, no normal person could have heard that. David is all the way in my room with the door shut and he didn't say it that loud." She stared at him waiting for a plausible explanation.

Garon sighed and looked into Anne's eyes. "Well I heard it because I am not a normal person. I am half were-wolf."

"And what’s the other half?"

Garon was taken off guard. He didn't see that one coming." Vampire"

"What kind?" Anne looked very stern. David got stiff as he stood in the hall.

"Sang." Garon answered into his coffee.

"Sanguinairian?" She said more stating it than asking a question. David stopped just before he came around the corner. Anne shifted her shoulder as flashes ran through both of their minds. For David they seemed more recent and bitter, but to Anne they were old wounds that she forced aside and changed the subject. "So how long will the band be in the states?"

Garon just stared at Anne, hating himself for what he was, but still determined all the same to show her that not all sang. vampires were the same. "Well I don't know for sure are you certain you will be able to afford another person?"

"Yah my father pays for everything I don't even have a real job I just baby-sit and go shopping and help my father with anything he needs."

"Oh he doesn't live with your mother anymore?" He said motioning toward the picture on the wall.

"Huh? Oh yah no that’s not who I meant. That’s my Mom and Dad. I grew up with them and they gave birth to me, but I meant my real father. Actually I guess he's kind of your father too. He is the first were-wolf. When he was young he had a child with an angel. That was my first life. I have only had three lives. This is the third. In my first I turned dark and did dark things." Anne looked down. "In the second I was dark but I started to do good things but I failed because the others around me weren't ready. So in this life I get to have my wings. I get to be light and do good things." Anne smiled. Somehow there was still sadness in her eyes as she smiled. Garon wondered if she blamed all the bad things on the fact that she was a fighter for good. Evil things love to put out bright lights, and pull the wings off of beautiful angels.

Garon sat silently thinking about what Anne had just told him when his thoughts were interrupted.

"Oh my god, Yay! I smell coffee."Ry stated coming across the hall into the dining room followed closely by Misha. David sat down next to Anne and glared at Garon before speaking.

"Good morning all."

"Morning David. You want some coffee?" Anne said standing.

"Sure. Sounds good."

"Stop glaring at the man you'll get wrinkles." Anne said sternly. "Not to mention it’s rude."

"Just some hazel nut creamer thanks." David said with a smile.

Anne went into the kitchen. "Morning guys." She said smiling at Ry and Misha. Ry's cell phone rang and he looked at it closed his eyes and set his coffee down and hugged her. "Oh Anne, will you save me from this psycho?!"

"What is your ex still stalking you?"

"Yah, he's crazy." Ry cried in Anne's shoulder.

Anne sighed "I am about to go David on his a*s." she stated.

"What’s that supposed to mean?" David asked from his the dining room.

"Well I guess I am gonna have to kill him." She said smiling as Ry backed off and sat on the counter and drank some of his coffee.

"I do not say that, that much." He said indignantly as he came into the kitchen.

"Whatever you say that all the time!" She said starting to giggle. "I'll kill him. I’ll kill him. Blah, blah, blah. You’re all talk you big softy. You love me too much to break my heart by killing any man that looks at my a*s or asks me on a date." She said getting in his face and laughing. "Only for you." David admitted Anne stuck her tongue out and pulled down her right lower eye lid and laughed again. David stood very still and looked at her trying not to smile to bad. Suddenly David grabbed Anne's hand spun her into his chest and started tickling her sides. "Not fair you a*s hole!!" Anne said laughing uncontrollably struggling to get free. Everyone in the kitchen laughed. Garon stared on from where he still sat smiling and longing for the day when he could even hug her. He feared that it would be very long time before that day would come.



lool this is the best


next chapter Next Chapter



Posted 6 Years Ago


Lou,

It has been a while since I have been here. It is good to read your work again. Your use of double spacing makes this chapter easier to read.The dialog is great. It is apparent that you have a gift for conversational dialog.
I have a few suggestions. It is good writing sense to punch up a story the same way you would a joke or an entire set. This chapter is too long. There are some paragraphs that need to be separated into individual thoughts.

Another problem that I see as I try to be an objective reader, is that there is no "set up", or introduction to the characters. If possible, insert a little more info and flesh out the characters. There is enough info contained in this chapter as you have written it, to fill three chapters.

I see that you used dashes to separate some of the parts of the story. I would suggest that at those points you just start a new chapter heading. Short chapters can be a great writing device in a novel. This is especially true when there is so much detail that needs to be conveyed. You have a great plot and sub-plot going here, and I can feel the potential for the "flow" throughout.

There are also some basic grammatical errors. Try to avoid lengthy run-on sentences. You will lose a reader's attention. It is the same principal that you would use in joke writing. Whenever possible, keep sentences on topic and to the point. I do not mean to strip it down to bare bones. In fact I mean just the opposite. By using concise sentences, you can separate some of the clauses into individual thoughts. By doing this you will avoid run-on sentences.

I also notice that you have mixed past tense with present tense in a few areas. It is important that you use one "tense", to avoid confusion. It is also a good idea to avoid the repeated use of pronouns such as "he" "she", "her", "it", etc. Pronouns tend to be confusing to the reader because they lose track of what name belongs to whom.

Here is an example:

Your original paragraph:
The first snow fall of the year was steady and beautiful. It turned Anne's whole world white in one afternoon. The thought occurred to her to shift into her wolf form and run, no one would see her, she would blend right in being just a white as the snow. She wanted to call David and ask him if they could go for a run tonight, but then remembered that he wasn't home. Would he be angry if she ran alone? She knew what he would say, she could hear his ranting in her head as though she had already done it.


Here it is as I would suggest:
The first snow fall of the year is steady and beautiful. Anne's whole world has turned to white in just one afternoon. The thought occurs to her, "I would love to shift into the form of a wolf and run into the snow." With her pure white coat, Anne will blend into the snowy landscape. No one would even notice her lithe form as she moves along the trail.

Anne thinks about calling David, to ask him if they could go for a run this evening. But just as quick she remembers that he isn't home. Would David be angry if she ran alone? She knew the answer to that question. Anne can picture David's ranting. In her mind David's reaction is as real as if she had actually left for a run.



I hope that my suggestions do not offend you. I welcome the return favor. Please feel free to be brutally honest as you review any of my postings.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

537 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on January 19, 2012
Previous Versions


Author

Angelwolf
Angelwolf

Des Moines, IA



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Angelwolf


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Angelwolf