The Moon

The Moon

A Poem by Anhedonia 1349

The moon burns,
spinning like a
UFO
and wondering when
(and why)
   it was forsaken.

 

It yearns for attention -
for the
rumbling
of life
pulsating
like a migraine
to the root
of its very
existence;

 

It yearns for somebody,
anybody,
   to look at its
scornful,
   pock-marked face
and then to feel so
alive
that they have to
look again;

 

It yearns for love like
an adolescent,
and for attention like
a wife,
broken in half at the
hands
of infidelity
and wanting one last
hug
(kiss)
(f**k)
from her husband.

 

Still it stands,
stoic in its
silence,
and gives away its
watered-down,
   generic type of happiness-
the kind that comes
at the end of
a broken life,
lived in the shadows
and forgotten.

© 2008 Anhedonia 1349


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have a certain style of poetry here Chas and... I love it! Your vivid imagery and similies take the mind on a rollercoaster through the moon's emotions, wants, desires, and sadnesses. One small thing, though: If you use an explicit word like that, the correct category for the poem is *Mature* instead of Everyone. I wonder if you used the same picture I did in my poem about the moon??? I'm off to check! Great job here Chas.

Posted 17 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Fantastic! I really like the personification you've given the moon, and you're right; people write about the moon often, but nobody ever really just looks up and appreciates it very much anymore. You created a very real "character" in this poem, and in a way that's totally different from what I usually expect.

Blessed Be!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wonderful!
I love the moon...
*le sigh*

Posted 15 Years Ago


I guess we share a love for celestial bodies, :) , and its part played in our expressive thoughts. I have never read anything in this style of poetry. It is purposeful and affective in relaying the sentiment...

I especially like your adjective usage in promoting the sense of a diseases-ridden, hopeless entity searching for a specific feeling that is contradictory to the projection of the physical self.

I sincerely appreciate YOUR contemplative nature :)

~ Nancy

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The moon totally rocks! I love this poem almost as much as its subject...nicely done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've always loved the moon; I actually go "moon-gazing" sometimes. What I think makes this poem fascinating is the good use of personification in describing the earth's lonely satellite - how it yearns for attention, for somebody, for love.. Those were brilliant phrases that breathed "life" to the moon, animated it.

Still it stands,
stoic in its
silence,
and gives away its
watered-down,
generic type of happiness-
the kind that comes
at the end of
a broken life,
lived in the shadows
and forgotten.

And how could I not love the ending stanza? It is perfect for the piece. I love your writing. =]

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved the hug-kiss-f**k thing... I can just see that in my mind, a hug turning toi a kiss then to passionate primative (sp?) f*****g in a daydream.
You have such a gift

Posted 17 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You did an amazing job with your imagery. I really felt the emptiness and longing you conveyed throughout the poem.
Thank you for the touching read. I'll find some time to read more of your work! Thanks again!
Reth N.

Posted 17 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

the moon can be many things for different people. "Still it stands,
stoic in its
silence,
and gives away its
watered-down,
generic type of happiness-
the kind that comes
at the end of
a broken life" this is beautifl and it shows how the speaker must feel.

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Interesting take on the moon. I like how you give the moon human qualities, although in a very morose sort of way. My favorite part was, "The moon burns,
spinning like a UFO." That line makes me feel as if the moon is even more distant, desiring to make contact. To feel contact. Great work!

Posted 17 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

I like it. I hope I understand it. I read it and understand you to be talking about the Moon's yearning to have life on it like the earth. If I get it, then there is an aspect that I think would be great in this poem but was omitted. Wouldn't something about the moon's pull on our water, our tides play very nicely into this piece?

Posted 17 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

460 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 6, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..