Life is too short to fulfill every desire

Life is too short to fulfill every desire

A Story by Anish Gowda

It was snowing heavily that evening in Kashmir. Major Raj is just gazing through the window of his room. Though he couldn't see clearly the outside view, his face is expressionless. He was talking a lot in his mind. Raj rushes on to his table, pulls out a paper, takes a pen and starts writing something. Few minutes later, he hands over that piece of paper to his army companion and a long time friend Simon. Raj smiles at him and says ," I hope, you know what you need to do Simon". Simon nods his head with a blank expression and Raj leaves the place.
Talking about Raj, an extremely talented 29 years old guy hailing from Udaipur. Down to earth person .A True patriot. Trained at IMA Dehradun. He is known for his courage, Valor and his wit in military warfare. He was always passionate for his country and his aim was to get into Indian Army, which he successfully accomplished. Presently stationed at pulwama district in Kashmir.
Raj belongs to a middle class family, he is very fond of his mother. Despite belonging to a middle class family, his parents raised him with lots of love. They always appreciated and uplifted his strong love for his country.
It's late night and the snowfall is still heavy, Raj sips a coffee and recollects his visit to home a month back. He still remembers the special treatment he gets in his locality, a kind of super hero feeling. Home cooked food and a wonderful chit chat with family. He particularly recollects an incident, while he was talking to his mom with his head on her lap, she mentioned about the pashmina shawl which she always wanted to buy..
Raj Always used to forget the pashmina shawl, due to some or the other reason. His mom was very particular about the shawl, she wanted it from Kashmir as it will be original material. Raj never parcelled it as he wanted to gift her and wanted to help her wear the shawl all by himself. Raj smiles a bit after all these memory flashback and pushes off to his bed as he looks at clock showing 2 am.
Few days later, it was an usual sunny day in Udaipur, Raj's mother seems to have a busy day in kitchen, she has few guests in house. Her fear and anxiety was covered by her fake smile as she was worried about something. Door bell rings, she gets freezed for a moment, she does not get the courage to open the door. She screams loudly to the fellow guests to not open the door, they look at her in silence. She walks towards the door, with her heart skipping a beat, she opens the door, only to find Raj's friend Simon standing alongside few army colleagues handling a coffing wrapped up with Tri colour. She breaks down. She was aware of the terrorist attack in pulwama last week, she was away from television and phone as she was too scared and did not wanted to expect the harsh possibility. But her nightmare turned true.
Raj was martyred in pulwama terrorist attack, this did not make much news in media, people were hardly aware as media as well as people considered it to be just one of the attacks. Simon hands over a bag along with coffing, which has an orange and reddish mixed pashmina shawl to Raj's mother. She also reads the Letter handed over by Raj to Simon.
Raj wrote " My mother wants a pashmina shawl specifically from Kashmir. I will definitely take that Shawl and make her wear it with my own hands, when I visit her next time. If by any chance I could not do it. My coffing should accompany a pashmina shawl. I wish to fulfill her every desire. A mother never express her desires, but she has expressed something. I want to fulfill it, I don't know which would be the last desire of her I would fulfill, if this becomes one, I hope you understood what you need to do Simon.
Raj's mother becomes numb after reading this and just stares the coffing expressionless, while Simon and others remove their caps and pay respect to Major Raj Rathod.

© 2018 Anish Gowda


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
You're correct at the point about life...also life's too short to notify every valuable person in your life that how big and important role they keep in our lifetime...You've showcased the soft side of heart of an Army officer....his love for both mother and motherland is highly respected...thanks for writing this one....soul touching! :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anish Gowda

5 Years Ago

Wonderful. You have properly understood the essence of my writing. 😊😊. Thank you so much, tale.. read more
¿

5 Years Ago

Am too glad that I could!!😃 you are welcome :))



Reviews

Good Anish. You have made a good job of showing the love of this army officer for his mother through his desire to send her the pashmina even after his death. At the start I think you are hinting that he has a premonition and writes the instruction. I hope that you don't mind me making a few constructive suggestions as I have benefited greatly from this myself. Firstly i find it a bit surprising that his coffin (watch your spelling!) arrives unannounced. I also feel that he would have written a personal letter to his mother and this would lend the story more drama. I'm not sure if English is your second language, in which case very well done! there are quite a variety of typos you should pick out but your word processor should flag up spelling, punctuation and grammar (I couldn't manage without it!).
Just for your interest my wife and I spent a night in Bangalore on the way south by train and three fantastic weeks in kashmir (1983). (Sorry just realised you are from Mangalore)
Good luck,
Alan


Posted 5 Years Ago


Anish Gowda

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It really feels great to when writers like you apprecia.. read more
Anish Gowda

5 Years Ago

You are right Alan, English is our second language. I work in Bangalore 😊. You are always welcome.. read more
A wonderful story shared. I wanted to read and know more. You create amazing storyline and interesting situations. I agree with the title. Thank you Anish for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yeah life is short but desires are endless. Good stuff.

Posted 5 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
You're correct at the point about life...also life's too short to notify every valuable person in your life that how big and important role they keep in our lifetime...You've showcased the soft side of heart of an Army officer....his love for both mother and motherland is highly respected...thanks for writing this one....soul touching! :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anish Gowda

5 Years Ago

Wonderful. You have properly understood the essence of my writing. 😊😊. Thank you so much, tale.. read more
¿

5 Years Ago

Am too glad that I could!!😃 you are welcome :))
So moving, I just cannot get over it...
The spelling must be coffin not 'coffing'

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anish Gowda

5 Years Ago

Yes. Thank you so much Najam, yeah that was a spelling mistake. Thank you for reading it. Is there a.. read more
Najam Us Saher

5 Years Ago

Yes it is,
Manage writing > click on edit option for this story.
Always a pleasure r.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 8, 2018
Last Updated on October 8, 2018

Author

Anish Gowda
Anish Gowda

Bangalore, India



About
Hello everyone. I'm Anish Gowda, hailing from beautiful coastal city Mangalore, India. Born and bought up in awesome, magnificent Mumbai. I love writing, discontinued in between, now again back to it... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Today Today

A Poem by Saumya