Faith & God

Faith & God

A Story by Ankita

Oxford English Dictionary defines Faith as ‘complete trust or confidence’ or ‘strong belief in a religion’. I’m writing about the Faith that many of us have in a supreme power or energy which again many of us call God. This planet called Earth has a world in it inhabited by humans who, by the power of their intellect, have given birth to many religions. Now every religion has given shape, definition and names to this supreme power according to its wishes. So, our faith in God goes something like this- God is taking care of us all and even of those who have no belief in it at all; come what may, it’ll lead us to the right direction and thus we say, whatever happens, happens for the best.

I too had faith in God. I would pray, I would worship and I also thought that it’ll lead me to the direction I deserve. Unlike many others, I believed that I do not need to have faith and belief in it out of fear. I’ll worship it for the love I have in my heart for it. I thought true faith and devotion comes out of love, not fear. Whenever my prayer would be granted, I would be very happy thinking that God has answered to my prayers until recently when I realized our happiness lies more in the fact whether God is granting our wishes or not. There are but a very few people who find true happiness in surrendering their entire self to God. We are selfish creatures who pretend to love God so it would grant our wishes. We pretend to be hardworking, selfless, devoted and at the end of everything when we realize that our one grand wish has not been granted, we either choose to become atheists or deny believing in its presence. It’s not important what I believed in since I too am one of those selfish beings who have pronounced “we don’t have faith in God”. I was thus enlightened by nothing but a simple question by a very inspirational person only a day back- “Do you pray?” I kept thinking hard and it is then that I realized that all these days which I mark as ‘my phase of not having faith in God’ is actually a silent anger against it for not having listened to my prayers when I loved it with all my heart. I realized  I am stuck in the middle of being stubborn enough not to pray or ask for help and at the same time not disbelieving the fact that it is there. It’s not known to me how things are going to unfold in the future but I thank him for enlightening me by actually showing me the road I’m walking on.

In the next twenty years, if everything goes well and the rift between me and God is fixed, I would most definitely be praying for my family’s well being- the family I have and also the new family I might have in the next twenty years- because I have realized that we cannot have it all and as Jerome K. Jerome said- “Life works upon a compensating balance, and the happiness we gain in one direction we lose in another.” 

© 2017 Ankita


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on September 1, 2017
Last Updated on September 1, 2017

Author

Ankita
Ankita

Kolkata, India



About
I try to be optimistic and I feel that gives me strength. I dream, I imagine, I love. I like penning down every bit of my feelings and emotions. I love myself. more..

Writing
Escape Land Escape Land

A Poem by Ankita