Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by AnnabelGoddard

I abruptly appeared in a white room sat in a reclined chair you may sit in at the dentist I had an ambush of people congregate around me and begin to put make-up on me and wash my hair I knew what was happening. A sigh of despair and pain fell through my lips as my eyes closed to hide the tears forming in my eyes, although the people surrounding me were strangers, the shame of crying in front of them would be too much. I had a reputation to uphold and a standard to work to and having free emotions would just bring me down and make me seem to have the qualities of a weak being.

 

“Katherine, we have a new assignment for you, you’ll have until June 30th to complete it. This one is different though, you need to befriend him, he’s been through a hard year and we want to reward him for not carrying out his, distressing thoughts.” My boss Libitina said, her emotionless face disgusted me although I knew this was her life.  Libitina was the Goddess of Funerals and Burial, working hand in hand with the other Gods and Goddesses of Death and things of the like to ‘organise the world’s population.’ She handed me a thick folder full of files and presumably information of my assignment.


“Why not reward him by not killing him?” I opened my eyes and looked at the familiar figure, the hands pulling at my hair and finger nails fading into the distance, the routine being all too common to notice. Looking back at me she sighed at my intolerance to their system.

 


“Because that is who it is, believe me when I say he does not deserve to die and honestly he does not need to in my eyes but those are the orders and we must follow them. It cannot be questioned because this command hasn't come from below; it has come from a much higher force and if we do not cooperate the deterioration could be astronomical to our work and lives.”  In that moment I saw worry and fear in her eyes, this wasn't a normal situation, Libitina always saw the whole picture past and future when it came to assignments, so why does this one not need to die?


“Who ordered it? If he does not deserve to die then leave him be!” I argued at her, the system always had reasons no matter how insignificant they were now, years into the future it could mean everything.


“The angels ordered it; they said he has besmirched the faith of all and that he will continue to blind hundreds unless he has stopped. I don’t understand it myself, but we cannot go against this, the angels have more power than any of us and if you were to be scared of anyone it would be them. They may be keepers of life, but they can be cruel.” My stomach twisted into knots so tight  I felt them in my throat, although it is a system of death, it has never been unreasonable, even with the unfortunate death of a child it has always been for the greater good; but it seems the greater good has lost it’s true intentions. 



© 2013 AnnabelGoddard


Author's Note

AnnabelGoddard
Please give your constructive criticism on all the writing but I would really appreciate your opinions on the sentence structure and descriptions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The idea and message seem to be interesting.
You may break the longer lines to several short ones.
Go ahead with the work.
You may refine it over time.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This was cool! Kind of suspense filled. Nice, keep on writing it!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 4, 2013
Last Updated on August 4, 2013
Tags: death, introduction, angels, fiction


Author

AnnabelGoddard
AnnabelGoddard

Walsall, West Mids, United Kingdom



About
I'm a young writer from England. The only writing I have previously posted on-line has been fanfiction (fiction based on TV, film and music) so now I'm posting my original fiction I do want to separat.. more..

Writing