Preparations

Preparations

A Chapter by Daniel R Booyer
"

The main access to the surface, Joshua and Bill make preparations to search the maze of tunnels for another exit, whilst the others prepare the terrarium for planting.

"

Chapter 8

-Preparations-


Jim walked through the ruined landscape of the world above. It's turbulent skies and blasted landscape no longer scared him as it did the first time he had seen it, but it did make him feel a little sad. He walked through what had once been a lush, verdant forest. Now the trees stood bare and scarred, little more than the skeletal remains of their former beauty. The ground was covered in a thick, black mud. Jim knew that it would reach almost to his waist if he were to try to walk through it, but this was a dream. At least Jim thought of it as a sort of dream, though he was increasingly unsure whose dream it was. Since this was obviously a dream, instead of wading through waist thick acidic muck he walked over it, his feet an inch above the mud's surface.

Jim stopped on a rise where he could look over the tops of the dead trees and across the land beyond. What had once been rich, fertile farmland had been completely transformed, it was now covered in craters and debris as far as his eyes could see through the perpetual darkness and persistent rain. The rain blanketed the land, drenching it in the acidic muck that Jim stood above. In a way, Jim thought, the rain was really a good thing. The water fell, mixing with the ash and dust in the lower layers of the atmosphere and fell earthward, bringing with it some of the dark cloud that kept the light of the sun from reaching the earth. The ash and debris in the upper atmosphere would take a long time to make it's way low enough for the rain to wash it away. Joshua was right though, the rain was rapidly cooling the ground, and even with the steady rain it could take many years, if not decades or centuries, for the skies to clear again. It would soon get really really cold. Jim knew he was seeing something no man had ever seen before. Something that, though it had happened before, no man had been around to see. A tear made it's way down his cheek as Jim stood looking at the beginning of an ice-age and a feeling of helplessness began to overwhelm him.

Jim's thoughts were interrupted, however, as a pair of slender, gentle arms enfolded him from behind, and a warm, sweet voice whispered in his ear, “Jim love, don't worry so much. All will be well.”

“Laura,” Jim said closing his eyes and taking his wife's hands in his, “change is always hard to accept, but I know we are in God's hands.”

“Yes, you are,” Laura said, turning her husband to look at her. As she did the landscape changed once more to the lush green garden. She led Jim to the picnic blanket and sat down cradling Jim's head in her lap as she played with his hair, “Now, we have a little time to ourselves while we wait. I suggest we enjoy ourselves while we can.”

“OK,” Jim said accepting an offered grape, “What are we waiting for?”

“Not what dear,” Laura said, as she pulled their favorite book out of the picnic basket, “We are going to be having a third party at our meetings from now on. I will explain why later. As for now, I believe we were starting chapter three?”

Jim loved it when Laura read to him. The sound of her voice was soothing, and she had a way of making each character seem somehow different, almost alive. Jim couldn't help being drawn into the story as Laura read, he idly rubbed his wife's back with his right hand as he closed his eyes and concentrated on her voice as it painted pictures in his mind, making the story come to life in his head.

After a while listening to his wife's sweet voice there was a muffled noise and a jarring sensation that set Jim's mind racing. Jim opened his eyes to see the garden around him blur and drift like a sand painting in the wind, swirling and becoming indistinct.

“Be still my sweet, it is nothing that will concern you until you wake in the morning,” with her words, Jim relaxed and once more the dream swam into focus, “That's better, our guest should be arriving any moment now.”

“Um,” came a hesitant, but familiar voice, “Sorry to bother you, but... am I.. am I dead?”

“Bobbie?” Jim asked sitting up.

Bobbie put her hands to her mouth and gasped as she fell to her knees, “Oh Lord, please tell me you aren't dead too!”

“No sweetie,” Laura said with a laugh, “Neither of you are dead. I'm Laura, by the way, Jim's wife,” Laura held up her left hand, wiggling her slender fingers to display her wedding band.

“So, you're alive too?” Bobbie asked with a sudden smile, “That's great. Jim has really missed you.”

“I'm afraid not, dear,” Laura laughed.

“Oh,” Bobbie said seeming to deflate a little, “Sorry”

“Don't be,” Laura said with a reassuring smile, “What comes after is beautiful, believe me it is well worth all the effort, hardships and waiting. Enough about that now, come sit with us, there are cookies and sandwiches, fresh lemonade and even a cheesecake. The beauty of picnicking in a dream is that none of it goes to your hips, so dig in.”

“Well, thank God for that,” Jim said patting his belly.

“Exactly,” Laura said with a warm smile for her husband.

Jim smiled up at his wife, he had missed Laura's sense of humor. He sighed in pleasure as she took his hand in hers. “So, what brings you here Bobbie?” he asked.

“About four cans of gunpowder, I should think,” Bobbie laughed, “other than that I really am not sure.”

“Gunpowder,” Jim said, sitting up, “What happened?”

“I tried to collapse the upper passageway so we wouldn't get flooded with acid mud,” Bobbie said with an abashed expression, “someone had to. The last thing I remember was slipping in the mud after setting the charge in the crack near the parking chamber. That and pain, lots of pain.”

“At least you survived,” Jim said reassuringly, “do you think it worked?”

“I don't know,” Bobbie shrugged. She picked up a plate and put a large slice of cheesecake on it with some blackberry syrup. She took a bite and rolled her eyes in ecstasy, “Wow that's good.”

“Of course it is,” Laura said, “Heaven has all the best caterers.”

Bobbie laughed, digging her fork into the sweet delicacy and froze. Her form became indistinct, her features blurred and she seemed to have a insubstantial quality. It only lasted a few moments, and she was soon solid once more. Bobbie gasped and sat her plate and fork down.

“Ouch! Yea, lots of pain,” Bobbie said, “I wouldn't recommend the acid mud bath, but on the bright side the passageway is now blocked.”

“Yea,” Laura said, “Don't worry sweetie, I was told to assure you that your hair will grow back.”

“Oh, good,” Bobbie said, obviously relieved.

“Anyway, on with today's message,” Laura said, “Tell Josh good work with both the wood and retrieving Bobbie.”

“Joshie?” Bobbie said in shock, “He waded through all that muck just for me? Is he alright?”

“Of course he is dear,” Laura said, “the man is brilliant, he made protective wrapping out of some garbage bags and tape. The mud never even got close to his clothing, let alone his skin. Next thing to do is get to planting your seeds, you can dig up everything in the terrarium except the oak tree to make room. Compost everything else, but that tree stays.”

“OK,” Jim said, “I am glad that the tree will be staying, it is beautiful.”

“It is,” Laura said smiling at her husband, “but it will help you keep the group fed until the crops are ready to harvest. Bill knows how. Also, this is important but there is no reason to bring it up in your meeting. You will run into a little domestic problem, just be patient with the parties in question and have faith that all will work out. The problem is that some people have to see something to believe it. Even one of Jesus' disciples had trouble with that, just read John twenty twenty four through thirty one. John is a great book, really it is. Finally, you need to send Bill and Josh into the tunnels again, there is another entrance to the cavern system. This one is protected from the mud, and you will need it to bring in more wood and supplies when the rain lets up.”

“Oh, good,” Jim said, “I was hoping there was another entrance. It is good to know we aren't completely buried.”

“Now,” Laura gave Jim a hug and a kiss on the cheek, “It is almost time for you to wake up, but before you do I need to say a few things to Bobbie.”

“OK,” Jim said and settled himself with his head once more resting in his wife's lap, she began stroking his hair again with a smile.

“Bobbie,” Laura said, “I don't want you to be alarmed, but all this will disappear when Jim wakes up.”

“What?” Jim's eyes popped open in alarm, “Why?”

“Because it is your place my love,” Laura said with a laugh, “Don't worry Bobbie, when his dream fades you will find yourself in a place all your own. I will be there, to help you get settled. But once you are settled in I will have to go for a while, there are others who wish to visit with you while you are here.”

“Who?” Bobbie asked.

“Well, I would tell you,” Laura said, then continued in a mock whisper that was clearly meant to be heard by Jim as well, “but that would ruin the surprise.”

The chime on Jim's watch began to play it's melody, and the world began to blur and shift once more.

“I love you Jim,” Laura said as Jim faded and disappeared. The world continued to shift, colors mixing and swirling until a large room materialized around her. The floor was marble tile covered by a large, decorative area rug. In the center of the rug was a large, cherry table surrounded by large matching chairs covered with comfortable looking cushions. The walls were covered with shelves from the floor to the ceiling that hung twenty foot above the marble floor. The shelves were stuffed with books of all shapes and sizes. In one wall was a door that led to a comfortable looking sitting room with comfortable looking furniture and a fire roaring in a marble hearth. On the cherry table were stacks of paper, beside the paper was a pad to write on, an inkwell, and a stand with a selection of old style quill pens complete with penknife.

This is Heaven, right?” Bobbie said breathlessly, her eyes misting with tears of joy.

“It is nice,” Laura said with a laugh, “but no, this is your dream. Heaven is really much nicer to tell you the truth. I love the decor though, you do have good taste.”

“So...” Bobbie said still looking at the shelves, and their wondrous contents, “can I... are they..”

“Of course,” Laura said, “It is your place, you can read what you wish, and yes, they are real... well, real in that their contents are out of the actual books they represent anyway. Sadly, I must leave you now. Should you need anything, just call for me and I will hear you and come as soon as I am able. You will find your guests in your sitting room. Enjoy.”

Laura turned and walked toward the doorway, as she walked she faded away and was gone. Bobbie looked at the doorway to the sitting room nervously. Who would want to visit her? She had no memories of her past, or the things that had been done by whatever it was that had taken her body from her. She remembered little before the darkness had taken her, a brief glimpse of a beautiful young woman smiling down at her. Soon after, she had felt the darkness growing within her, choking her, stuffing her away in a dark place. She had been utterly powerless to stop the darkness, she remembered feeling weak and useless when the darkness first began to take over. It was a mercy that she could not remember the dark place, or what had happened while she was there, what had been done by the darkness working through her. She felt a sorrow for those who had been harmed, though she had no idea who or how many they were.

The doorway beckoned, and it would be rude to keep her guests waiting. She walked across the beautiful area rug and entered the sitting room. There on one of the plush couches sat the beautiful young woman. She sat with her hands on her knees, tapping her fingers nervously. A young man sat across from her idly flipping through a book. Bobbie stopped and stared, arms falling limp at her sides as tears clouded her vision.

“Mommy?” she breathed.

“Bobbie?” Her mother said, “Sweet heart, you're finally free.”

The young man, Bobbie assumed he was her father, looked up and smiled warmly, the book disappearing from his hand, “Hello,” he said cheerfully.

“So.. you know?” Bobbie said nervously.

“Yes dear,” her mother said. She stood and walked to her daughter, wrapping her in a warm embrace, “after we died we learned what had happened to our baby girl.”

“I'm so sorry mommy,” Bobbie wailed, crying against her mother's bosom. Her father soon joined them and she cried there for a long time wrapped in the loving arms of her parents.

“I'm so sorry,” she said again after what felt like hours, her eyes red from the tears she had shed, “can you ever forgive me.”

“It wasn't your fault sweet heart,” her mother said, “It wasn't you doing those things. We tried so long to make sense of things while we were alive, but it wasn't until we died that we learned the truth.”

“It was your body, but you were not there,” her father said, “You were somewhere we could not reach you, and believe me we tried.”

It was then that Bobbie realized that her cheeks were not the only ones wet with tears. Her father was wiping the dampness from his own as well, and her mother's eyes were red from crying.

“Come,” her mother said, guiding her to the couch, “we have a lot to catch up on.”


*****


Jim awoke to the sound of the tune his watch played every morning at this hour. It was time for his morning prayers and contemplation. He started with a simple prayer, thanking God that Bobbie had been able to collapse the passageway, and asking for a quick recovery for her. Jim sat up in the bed and used a rag and a bowl of water to wash himself, he uttered another soft prayer that he would be able to stand again and use the shower. He carefully dressed himself in fresh clothing and, his prayer finished and feeling refreshed, lay back on his bed. He stared at the ceiling, letting his mind run through what he had learned in his sort-of-but-not-quite-dream. He still did not know what to call it. He did not get far, however, before a sound like marbles being dropped on a bass drum interrupted him. There were few other things that the sound of Joshua clearing his throat could be compared to.

“You ought to see a doctor about that,” Jim said with a smile, “You could be coming down with a cold.”

“I will have you know, I happen to be married to the best doctor in the state,” Joshua retorted as he stepped into Jim's enclosure.

“Well, yes,” Jim said, “I suppose that is true, especially since she is quite probably the only doctor left in the state. We are lucky that even had the world not come to an abrupt end she would still be one of the best.”

“Yea, but she wouldn't be married to me,” Joshua said.

“I wouldn't be so sure,” Jim said, “I seem to remember a certain young intern eying you when you had to drive me to that specialist a month ago for my knee.”

“One glance across a crowded waiting room,” Joshua chuckled, “not much to go on there.”

“It wasn't a glance,” Jim said with a laugh, “it was a wink and a series of predatory looks. Oh, and she just happened to be in the area when the world ended. She was hunting you down my friend, you know it.”

“Yea right,” Joshua said, “she was probably visiting a friend or something.”

“Deny it if you want,” Jim said, “but she still would have netted you, the world ending was just a convenient excuse to snap you up. She was like a cat stalking an unsuspecting mouse.”

“Whatever,” Joshua laughed.

“Meow,” a voice whispered in Joshua's ear, it was accompanied by a loving pinch that made him jump and give a high pitched yelp. For such a deep voiced man Joshua seemed to possess an amazing vocal range.

“Told you,” Jim wheezed, laughing so hard he nearly fell off his bed.

“He's right you know,” Kelly said flatly after their laughter subsided, “I was trying to find you. I don't know why, but as soon as I saw you I knew you had to be mine.”

“Yikes,” Jim said.

“Anyway,” Kelly continued, “we have some... troubling news.”

“Let me guess,” Jim said with a knowing smile, “Bobbie sneaked out last night and took the gunpowder to the end of the upper passageway, blew it up, and is now laying unconscious in the clinic?”

Kelly gave Jim a curious look, “How the hell did you know?”

“Language, young lady,” Jim said with a smile, “I had another visit with Laura last night, Bobbie was there too.”

“Really?” Joshua asked, “How? Is she alright?

“I'm not sure how she was there,” Jim said, “I thought the dream thing was just for Laura and I, but Laura said we were in my place and Bobbie would go to her own place once I woke up. I don't really know how it all works. Bobbie seemed fine while she was there, though she faded out for a few seconds and it seemed to hurt to be awake.”

“Yes,” Kelly said, “I could imagine it would. She has pretty bad chemical burns all over her body, her legs and feet are the worst. We are applying a generous amount of lotion and the special cream I whipped up to treat the burns that Josh and the others suffered when the rain started.”

“That's good,” Jim said, “Laura assured her that her hair would grow back, must be some good cream. Oh and Josh, Laura says good job with the wood and Bobbie's timely rescue.”

“Um, thanks,” Josh said, running his hand over his scalp.

“There's more,” Jim said, “but it would be best to bring it up in the morning meeting.”

“Yea, probably,” Joshua said, “Want me to help you into your chair?”

“Sure,” Jim sighed, “I can't wait to be free of this thing though.”

Joshua lifted Jim into his chair and wheeled him out into the main chamber. Bill was readying to make breakfast as usual, with the added task of putting wood in the new stove. Jim continued his morning contemplation as he watched him work. It was amazing, their small group had a surprising number of extremely talented individuals. Some of the people Sally had talked to had skills that were potentially very useful. At least four of the group had studied botany together at the local technical school, and Kelly's assistant was a chemistry student. Jim recognized one of the young men that worked with Joshua from the Renaissance fair where he had been working a small forge with his father, making trinkets and demonstrating techniques used by period blacksmiths for making tools.

The others soon arrived for breakfast and the morning meeting began, as it had every morning since their arrival. Friendly conversation soon turned to talk of potential problems and their solutions. Telling the others about his dreams still made him nervous. He kept waiting for someone to tell him to get over himself, that it was just a dream. For some reason, however, they never did.

“Well,” Jim said, feeling his stomach knot up the way it always did before mentioning one of his dreams, “Let me start off by congratulating Joshua for a job well done, both with the wood and rescuing Bobbie. I would also like to thank Bill for his work with the supplies. He is doing a good job making what we have stretch. Now, Laura tells me that we have two major problems facing us at the moment that require our attention.”

Jim took a drink of water before continuing, “Firstly, we need to start planting our crops. They will take time to grow and mature, so we need to get them started soon. I suppose that since the terrarium is an enclosed environment we don't have to worry much about growing seasons and whatnot. I think we may need another stove to help regulate the temperature though. I was thinking about having some of Joshua's assistants help get the terrarium ready for planting. Everything there can be dug up and composted except the oak tree. I was told that Bill would know a way to use it to help stretch our food supply,” as a group the people at the table turned to look at Bill.

“Acorns,” Bill said, “Indians in California used them as a staple food supply.”

“You can eat acorns?” Sally asked incredulously.

“Yes,” Bill said, “they take some work to make them edible, but they aren't bad. It is a little early in the year for them though, when I saw the tree the acorns were still green.”

“Really?” Jim said, “I guess we will need to gather them when they are ready then. Anyway, the next thing we need to do is find another exit so we have access to the surface again. We will need more wood eventually, and it would probably be a good idea to see what else, if anything, we can salvage from up there. I have a feeling that once the rain lets up we will have to work hard to get as much wood in as possible. It is all going to die off out there, so we need to gather enough supplies from outside to last us until we can become self sufficient. I am told that the nearest exit is protected from the mud so we won't need to worry about flooding. Perhaps if they feel up to it Joshua and Bill can go and take a look, perhaps map the surrounding tunnels a bit.”

“Sounds like a good idea to me,” Joshua said, “Greg should be able to see to things for a little while. What about you Bill?”

“Well,” Bill said, tapping his chin, “I am told that Jeremy is up and about now, I'm sure he and Cathy will be fine on their own. So yea, I'm game if Josh is.”

“Great, Just be careful out there,” Jim said, “There may be other dangerous animals out there besides the bear. You both are very important to our group as a whole, and besides, I am afraid what Kelly and Sally would do to me if you didn't return.”

“Don't worry,” Joshua said, “We will ask Jason if we can take Rembrandt.”

“Good idea,” Jim said with a smile.

“Yea well I thought it would be,” Joshua said returning his friends smile, “I'm afraid of what Kelly would do to me if I didn't return.”

This earned him a slap on the shoulder from his diminutive wife, followed by a kiss on the cheek, “Just be careful,” she said, taking his large hand in hers, “and I won't have to hurt you.”

“So Joshua,” Bill said with a grin of his own, “Same agreement as last time then?”

“Yes, please,” Joshua said with a laugh.

“What agreement would that be dear?” Kelly asked, squeezing Joshua's hand so hard he could feel the bones shift in her grip.

“Nothing,” Joshua said. His wife squeezed harder, “Just that if I die he is to hide the body.”

“He had better not,” Kelly said eying Bill darkly.

“It is just a joke honey,” Joshua said, wincing from the pain his wife was inflicting on his hand, “Um, honey? Could you please loosen your grip a little? I can't feel my fingers anymore.”

“You just come back safe husband,” Kelly purred, letting go of his hand and stroking his cheek, “Or I will revive you just so I can break those fingers one by one.”

Joshua swallowed hard, “Yes dear.”

“Wow, scary,” Jim said with a broad, knowing smile, Kelly smiled at him in return. It was the sort of smile that promised bad things in his future should Joshua not return in one piece, “So anyway,” he continued, clearing his throat nervously, “Yea, I was also thinking this morning that we may need a way to make or repair tools. I recognize one of your assistants from the Renaissance fair, the burly blond haired one, he used to demonstrate medieval forging techniques with his father.”

“You mean Carl?” Joshua said, “Yes, I remember him, I bought a set of carving knives from him last year. He does good work.”

“Well,” Jim said, “I was wondering if you could have Greg help him set up shop. A working smithy would be very useful.”

“Not a problem,” Joshua said with a smile, “I will get them started on it right after breakfast.”

The meeting soon drew to a close, and like the meetings on previous mornings soon lapsed into friendly conversation. Afterward, Joshua left to find Greg and fill him in on what was going to have to be taken care of in his absence. Bill talked with Cathy while the two of them cleaned up after breakfast. Jim sat and watched as everyone set about their various tasks. There were many preparations to be made. Joshua and Jamie took most of the morning to organize the group that would be preparing the terrarium for planting, then Joshua organized a group of his assistants to build a smaller version of their new camp stove. They had already used most of what remained of their sheet metal that they had scavenged from the remains of their vehicles, but what remained proved to be more than sufficient.

Bill talked with Cathy as they cleaned up after breakfast. Jeremy was allowed to leave the clinic not long after they finished and the three of them sat at the table to discuss supply issues and put together a menu for the coming week. Bill liked to plan his menu ahead anyway so all the three had to do was expand the current menu by a few days, and Bill was soon preparing for his upcoming journey with Joshua. He let Jeremy and his sister handle the lunch preparations as he readied their climbing gear and walked over to the clinic to refresh their first aid kits. For the first time since the clinic opened, the front room was vacant.

“Hello?” Bill said as he entered, “Dr. Green?”

“Yes?” came Kelly's voice from one of the back rooms.

Bill pushed aside the blanket curtain to see the small woman sitting on a log in front of a makeshift desk made out of two logs standing on end with three boards screwed to their tops.

“What can I do for you Bill,” the doctor said without looking up from her work.

“I just need to get some supplies for our first aid kit,” Bill said, “I thought it would be a good idea since we may be out for a while this time.”

“Anything you need should be in that box in the corner,” Kelly gestured absently with one hand, when she moved her hand Bill caught a glimpse of small wet spots on the paper she was pretending to be writing on. Bill couldn't help but smile at that. Joshua really was putting some large cracks in that tough outer shell of hers.

“I am glad Joshua is coming with me,” Bill said as he picked out the supplies he needed, “To tell you the truth I would be afraid to go without him. He is one of the most capable guys in the camp.”

“I know,” Kelly said, wiping her nose on a rag.

“Don't worry,” Bill said as he filled the first aid kit, “I will make sure he makes it back in one piece.”

“See that you do,” Kelly said flatly.

“I will,” Bill said with a smile.

“Bill,” Kelly said as he turned to go, “thank you.”

“Any time Kelly,” Bill said, “I'm your friend, it's in the job description.” Bill wasn't sure but he thought he heard her laugh softly to herself as he walked away.

As Bill walked towards his kitchen he noticed a small group of young men talking quietly together. He waved in a friendly manner when one of the five young men noticed him walking by and their conversation ground to a halt. After he passed Bill thought he heard them going their separate ways. “That was odd,” Bill thought, sparing a look over his shoulder. The group had dispersed as he thought it had, “What was that about?”

He scratched his head and walked on, trying not to think about it. He tried and failed, the odd event nagged at him like a mosquito bite on the back of his brain, a constant itch that he could not scratch. He thought about it the whole time he counted his food bars, and while he selected nonperishable food to add to the packs. Bill was glad he had decided to make some of the bear meat into jerky by marinading it and drying it in the oven with the door propped open overnight. Jim was still sitting in his chair watching the preparations and offering advice where necessary.

Bill thought Jim had adjusted well to his role as a leader. He didn't try to control everything that went on, he simply told them what had to be done and let the ones that had experience at the task handle the situation. Delegating authority seemed to come naturally to Jim, but when someone needed advice he was always there with encouragement and a helpful suggestion. Bill took a seat next to the man and tried to think of the best way to tell him about the strange event.

“Something bothering you Bill?” Jim asked.

“Yea,” Bill said, feeling a little uneasy, “Well, the thing is... You see...” unsure how to continue Bill rested his head on the table.

“Ah, I know,” Jim said, putting a comforting hand on Bill's shoulder, “That thing with the boys earlier. Laura warned me that their would be something like that come up. She told me it would turn out well if handled with patience and faith,” Jim gave a small laugh, “They probably think this is just a local thing and that the crazy old coot just wants to keep them all locked up down here for his own strange reasons. Don't worry about it, I think I have a good idea how to handle this, I just have to wait until the right time is all. Right now you have more important matters to see to.”

“Yea, your right. Thank you Jim,” Bill said as he got up from the table. That was another thing he had noticed about Jim, he really didn't miss much that went on around him. The nagging itch was gone now, all his fears having disappeared in the face of Jim's patient confidence. Bill continued readying and double checking supplies and gear for the trip. Knowing that they would possibly be gone for a few days Bill tied a blanket roll to the bottom of each pack. Each roll consisted of three blankets, two to sleep on and one to cover up with. The blankets were the same felt blankets that made up the walls of the clinic and the private areas lived in by the group's married couples and Jim, but they were better than nothing. As Bill tied the last knot securing the blanket roll to Joshua's pack he felt slender hands beginning to massage his shoulders.

“Oh yea, that feels good hon,” He said as delicate fingers soothed and relaxed the muscles in his shoulders.

“I'm going to miss you while you are away,” Sally whispered softly in his ear.

“I'll miss you too dear,” Bill replied, “I wish I could just stay here, but this is important. We are going to need access to the surface for wood and whatever else we can find. From the way Jim was talking at the morning meeting this will be our home for a long time. I don't know what the outside world will be like from now on, but I have the feeling that Jim does. He notices things, and has a way of seeing things others miss. If Jim says that things outside are going to get bad I am inclined to believe him.”

“I know how you feel,” Sally said wrapping her arms around her husband's neck, “He has always been like that, I think he would have made a great father. It really is too bad him and Laura didn't have any children, I would bet they would be sharp as tacks.”

“They probably would be,” Sally laughed, “I think Josh and Kelly's children will be an interesting bunch.”

“No kidding,” Bill laughed, “They are both brilliant and they both have kind hearts. They really are a great match.”

“Ah, I see you noticed that too,” Sally said, kissing Bill on the back of the neck, “Jim is not the only observant one I see.”

“Joshua is putting some large cracks in the esteemed Dr. Green's shell, which reminds me. She seems very worried about this trip we are taking, I think she may need a friend right now.”

“Don't worry I've got that covered,” Sally laughed, “So, what do you think our children will be like?”

“Well,” Bill said,” They will be good cooks and great teachers, that is for sure. Any girls will be gorgeous, just like their mother.”

“And I'm sure the boys will be as handsome as you are, my love,” Sally said with a delighted laugh, turning him to kiss him full on the lips. Oh God, she loved this man, she thanked the lord every night in her prayers for bringing him to her.

Joshua soon arrived, having made sure that his assistants had their instructions. At his heels trotted Rembrandt, looking more like a small brown horse than a dog. He sat nearby, tongue lolling out of his mouth.

“I see Jason let us take him,” Bill said, scratching the massive dog behind an ear.

“Rembrandt insisted,” Joshua laughed, “As soon as I mentioned the tunnels he started bouncing around like a pup. Jason thought it was a good thing we wanted to take him along though, said he would have insisted if I hadn't asked. Sorry it took us so long to get here. I wanted to stop and talk to Kelly, it is going to be a long time before I see her again.”

“Hopefully it will just be a few days,” Bill said.

“Yea,” Joshua said, “but I will still miss Kelly.”

Bill looked at his wife and sighed, “I know what you mean, now that I found her I don't want to be away from Sally either.”

“Lets face it,” Joshua said with a grin, “we would be lost without them.”

“That we would, big man,” Bill put an arm around his wife, echoing his grin, “That we would.”

With the help of Sally, Joshua and Bill finished their preparations in time for lunch to be served. They shared one last hot meal with their friends and family before they left the safety and warmth of their new home. As they ate and shared fellowship with the others Joshua and Bill both prayed silently that they succeed in finding the exit and make it home safely to the waiting arms of their wives.






© 2011 Daniel R Booyer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on January 15, 2011
Last Updated on January 15, 2011


Author

Daniel R Booyer
Daniel R Booyer

Lake Ozark, MO



About
Ienjoy writing, this doesn't mean I am good a it, but I enjoy it greatly. I just hope someone enjoys reading my stuff as much as I enjoy writing it. I have been posting on a different site, but I de.. more..

Writing