Chapter-2

Chapter-2

A Chapter by Anushka

Chapter- 2

This proved to be the best first week of any new session! Firstly, I had managed to dodge ‘trouble’ the whole time and now, the third period was a games period. So we came down and took a basketball from the sports in charge. Out there, fighting the tough heat of the scorching sun seemed like a herculean task but it couldn’t drain out our excitement of playing. And the girls, they were sitting on the benches as usual, busy in their talks. I don’t know what do they talk about and neither do I want to. I know it would be nothing but boring things like Barbie, anything pink or shopping. I’ll surely get fever if I join any such talks.


I often wonder what fun they get in combing a doll’s hair, dressing or undressing them, using them like puppets, gathering the collectibles and making them cook artificial food. On the other hand, our Hot Wheels are so exciting! Girls are like kids who won’t grow up. I mean, who plays with Barbie? Hot Wheels are something cool, or the superhero’s action figures!


Back at the court, our group of boys consisted of the fourteen of us. We divided our teams and I was with Prateek, Abhay, Puneet, Daksh, Gunit and Jai. Amongst us, Abhay was a very tall guy- the tallest in the class. He looks like a complete gangster and he actually roams with the senior group of ‘Gundas’ who fall in the 9th class. I’ve seen him and two more boys of our class, Varun and Hitesh, with those people. They are like our class Dons and so, Abhay is a compulsory player in every game.


“Good team! We’re going to win Yashvant.” Puneet gave me a high five.

Yeah, like anyone of you is going to play like Michael Jordan!’

I passed him a grin and we headed for jump-ball. Destiny is such an unchangeable thing. Had we not got this games period, we wouldn’t have come down. Had we not have decided to play basketball, this won’t have happened. From the middle of nowhere, I saw Vani coming towards us. “Can I play with you all too?” she asked in a very polite manner, but it wasn’t appealing. Each and every one of us burst into laughter and she kept looking at us in disbelief.


“You’ll play basketball? With us? God! Look at the guts.” Daksh mocked.      “Girl, go join the ‘gossip gang’ because that’s exactly where you belong.” Jai smirked, almost losing his balance as he laughed.


She kept her left hand on her waist, her face held a confident expression, “Such an over confident bunch of boys! Alright, let’s have a one on one match. Shall we? If I win, you’ll have to let me in and if one of you wins, then I’ll never ask you people to let me play with you. Deal?”


None of us spoke a word. I don’t know about the others, but I was taken aback from her determination. Then it struck me- this was a golden opportunity to take a sweet revenge! So, I stepped forward, “Deal. The one who scores ten points first shall win.”


She smiled confidently and I passed her the ball so she could start. Don’t call it courtesy, it was pity. But I realized later that it was a mistake and then I had to pity myself. The game started. She dribbled the ball low and quick. I took it easy and moved on casually. ‘It’s an easy win, chill.’ 


I made a quick move to snatch away the ball but she was quicker. She moved aside and ran like anything with the ball totally in control. I didn’t even realize when she took a lay-up and scored a basket. It was a perfect shot!


“What the-” I gazed at the ring as it went through it. 


“Winner’s” she announced and took the ball.


The game moved on. She dribbled slowly this time. I was inside the three-pointer line as I assumed that she’ll take a lay-up again. And even if she wouldn’t, I’ll have a good chance of taking the ball from her. But no- she took the ball in her hands and took a three pointer. And God! It too went through the basket- it actually did!! I had never seen a girl play this game so well that she was literally winning.


‘I underestimated her. I have to do something real quick.’   


“What are you up to Yash? Do something or else she’ll win!” Prateek shouted from the bench. My ego got hurt and it was enough to get me going. She had scored five points already, that too in around three minutes. She started off again and this time I played like the real me- harsh, strong and perfect. I snatched the ball and quickly hit a three pointer before she even realized it happening.


“Winner’s” I grinned at her.


Now, dribbling the ball using both the hands, I deceived a way through for a lay-up. “Five each.” she said. ‘So far so good, Vani Malhotra. But now you’ll see whom you’ve messed with.’


The group of boys had their expectations and esteem at stake. They sat nervously on the benches as anything could happen in this game. Guess they knew it too that this girl here is a darn tough player. Sweat poured down my neck. She was indeed a tough opponent. But it was me whom she had to face. I had never ever faced somebody as good as her. I’ve played with these boys and I’m better than all of them. They hardly know how to play and they commit fouls every now and then. Prateek plays neat as he comes for practice with me every day, the rest can’t be tolerated. But ‘Trouble’ was a player who can challenge you, win from you and make you enjoy the game without any fouls. After struggling a bit, I managed to hit another shot, and another, and another. Hell yeah! I had won. But I have to admit- she didn’t let me shoot easily. She covered me when I wanted to go for a shoot and it was a great challenge.


The game ended and the group of boys came running to us. “You lose. Now go back to the place you belong, just like you had said.” Jai teased her. And Vani, without saying a word, turned away to retreat. It didn’t seem good to me. After this match I had come to know that she played better than any of these morons around me. She deserved to stay.


“Vani, stop! Come back…” I called her. She turned towards me and stared in confusion.

What are you calling her for?” Puneet asked me in astound.


“That isn’t where you belong to Vani. You played extremely well and far better than these boys you see. You can play with us.” I told her and turned to the boys, “And if any one of you has a problem, you are free to have a challenge with her. If anyone of you wins, she goes. Want to do it the hard way now?”

All of them shook their head and agreed to let Vani join us. I knew that somewhere inside their mind, they too were aware of her skills.                


“Thank you Yash.” she smiled finally.

“Welcome to the group.” I smiled along as we shook hands. 

Maybe, not all girls are the same. At least Vani isn’t! She had changed the whole perception I had about her. She was different, awesome and now, my friend.


© 2015 Anushka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on May 26, 2015
Last Updated on May 26, 2015


Author

Anushka
Anushka

Panchkula, Haryana, India



About
I'm a crazy person, in short. And yes, imaginative and I try to take people into imagining what i do through my writing. Luv reading n writing more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Anushka


Chapter-1 Chapter-1

A Chapter by Anushka


Chapter-3 Chapter-3

A Chapter by Anushka