Mid-Flight Meringue

Mid-Flight Meringue

A Poem by April Child
"

A snapshot from my mind's eye taken from 35,000 feet up when I glanced out the window over iceland's coast..

"

Mid-flight over Iceland’s coast

I glance outside

land meets ocean

blankets it in snow  

undulating meringue peaks

wispy white drifts on the water’s surface

sugar frosting

winter dessert

I return to reading the newspaper.

© 2010 April Child


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh Iceland......WOW. Never been but always wanted....go and sit in those hot pools while it snows all around you that would be cool. Maybe I should sail my ship North.

A great piece with wonderful description, make me long for the snow :)


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the image of this! Thanks for taking your observant eye and making it a sweet treat. We had the first snow the other morning that reminded me again how nature gives us little sweet visions like this. The snowflakes were all sitting on the window and the colors and little perfect cuts were just beautiful. I can see how this would have looked to you - smiles....

kath

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hmmm. i like this piece. i like how each line is a separate metaphor. a separate image and yet they all come together.

the last line is an interesting choice and i read it a few times. the newspaper to me is the opposite of metaphor. "just the facts maam" type of stuff. it's all objective... where the lines before it are all descriptive.

to me this was a poet looking out at something most people would see as sort of ordinary and giving it all this metaphor and life... then returning to something very solid and spelled out, almost like she's giving herself a break from seeing beyond the skin of the world.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh Iceland......WOW. Never been but always wanted....go and sit in those hot pools while it snows all around you that would be cool. Maybe I should sail my ship North.

A great piece with wonderful description, make me long for the snow :)


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lovely snapshot. So few words yet so much packed in. The causualness of the glance to the scale of it. A big sweep seen in one human glance from up on high, moving at speed, yet in comfort and occupied with a paper. But it is the way your mind does not just see the image but interprets it in a poetic way. And we can see the image clearly through the words and feel as if we are there. Were you hungry at the time?!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And i feel like i need something sweet on my tongue...like ...hmmm...white choc perhaps...
Pretty description, very nicely depicted :)))) So it was kind of a small distraction it seems...But u did gave away a sigh didn't u...well...if u hadn't, u wouldn't have written about it :)))) Carez :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
6 Reviews
Added on February 19, 2008
Last Updated on August 1, 2010

Author

April Child
April Child

United Kingdom



About
I love words and I like to write poems. Sometimes words just come and I don't know where from but I write them down anyway. There's something very powerful in the written word. It shows you where y.. more..

Writing