Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Paul V.


 

The creatures dove down, falling straight towards the ground. Right before they hit it, they spread their wings out, slowing their descent slightly, and slammed into the ground, making it shake. Arateer felt the vibrations through the ground from where he was.

The creatures were large, looming close to fifty feet tall each. Their skin, which Arateer could now see was vast layer of closely packed hard scales, was a shiny black color. Their red eyes flitted around, eyeing the battlefield. Big leathery wings were nestled at their sides, and gleaming spikes were running down it’s entire back to the tips of their tails.

Very muscular legs supported them, with clawed feet at the ends of the legs. A deep growl was emanating from the biggest one, and Arateer could see a faint orange glow in the back of its throat. A L’thorian stepped forward, raised a horn to its mouth, took a deep breath, and blew a long low note. The monsters reared up on their hind legs and hugs jets of flame erupted from their mouths, bathing the village in its deadly embrace.

A searing wave of heat forced Arateer to turn away. When he looked back, he saw all of the elves that had been in the middle of the L’thorians were dead, and their killers were now striding through the village, ransacking it and killing whomever they found. The monstrous creatures ceased their streams of fire and took flight, each flap of their wings sounding like a drumbeat.

Arateer turned and ran, trying to escape the creatures that were destroying his home and burning it to the ground. He soon reached his house and he slammed though the door. It was dark in the house, and Arateer felt his stomach clench.

“Loraden,” he called. He walked through, trying to find his brother, all the while hearing the L’thorians getting closer and closer to him. He began to get frantic, throwing objects out of his way. He searched the entire house, and his brother was nowhere to be found. Tears began to build up in his eyes as he assumed the worst, and then berated himself for giving up hope so quickly.

            He ran out of the house and checked his small shack. At first, his eyes couldn’t make out anything, and he squinted them, trying to make out the dark interior. Then, as it came into focus, he noticed a small form huddled behind the only chair in the room. He stepped towards it and the figure stepped out, brandishing a small sword at him.

            “Don’t come any closer,” squeaked Loraden, obviously terrified.

            “It’s me, Arateer,” Arateer told him, and Loraden dropped his sword and tears began to flow out of his eyes. Arateer dropped to his knees and threw his arms around the small figure, and soothed him. Loraden shook silently, crying out his fear and despair. “It’s okay Loraden I’m here for you. I’ll never let anything happen to you.”

            Loraden looked up and a tear wove its way down his face. “You promise?” The fear was evident in his voice, but hope was also mixed in with the fear.

            Arateer smiled. “I promise.” A loud crash cut off what he was going to say next, and Arateer turned quickly, looking out of the door to his shack. The L’thorians were close to them, and soon they wouldn’t be able to escape. “Loraden, when I say, you have to run as fast as you can to the trail in the woods. I’ll be behind you, but no matter what happens, do not stop running.” He slipped one of his hunting knives out of his belt, one that was emblazoned with a dragon.

            “This is my favorite knife. Use this well. I want you to have it.” His brother smiled and sniffled, wiping a tear off of his face. Arateer got up and quickly grabbed a pack off of a hook. He shoved some supplies in it and grabbed an extra quiver of arrows, sliding it over his shoulder after removing the empty one. He fastened a top to it, making sure the arrows didn’t fall out.

            Drawing his swords, he looked out of his shack and was alarmed to see one of the dragonesque creatures outside right outside. He forced down any fear he had, knowing he had to be brave for his brother. He picked up his brother’s sword off of the ground and slid it in his belt.

            “When I say now, run as hard as you can.” He turned to his brother, and Loraden nodded, showing he understood. A deep growl came from outside the hut, and everything went silent. Arateer put his finger to his lips, and Loraden understood. They could hear the creature moving around outside, making the ground shake slightly with every step.

            The steps stopped, and the only sound that could be heard was the crackle of the fires outside. Suddenly, a massive head appeared in the doorway, and the red eye of the creature was staring right at him. Arateer yelled in defiance and lunged forward, plunging his swords straight into the monster’s eye. It jerked back, nearly tearing his swords out of his hands, roaring in pain.

            “NOW,” Arateer screamed, and Loraden took off, Arateer right behind him, easily keeping up with his brother’s shorter strides. A giant foot slammed down right beside him, throwing him off of his feet. The creature loomed over him, dark blood pouring out of the wound in its eyes. Arateer rolled out of the way of another massive foot, and jumped to his feet. L’thorians were charging at him, narrowly avoiding the creature. Arateer sprinted away, trying to escape. He sheathed his swords and drew his bow, nearly missing the flap to open his quiver.

            He selected an arrow on the go, and jumped, turning and drawing at the same time. When he turned, he saw the creature preparing to launch a column of fire at him. Arateer released the arrow quickly, jerking the bow on accident, and the arrow sailed clear of the dragon’s head. Arateer landed hard, stumbling. He dove around the corner of a house, and just in time too.

            Fire roared past him, incinerating the L’thorians chasing him. Arateer got up again and fled from the massive creature. He reached the edge of the village and sprinted along the edge of the woods, making his way towards the path that led to the cliff. Up ahead, Loraden just turned onto the trail, a L’thorian at his heels.

            Arateer pushed his body to the limits, flying towards the entrance, arrow already on his strings. He turned the corner and released the arrow immediately, watching it soar through the air and slice through the L’thorian, barely slowing down, getting lost in the trees. The L’thorian toppled to the ground, tripping Loraden, its sword barely missing him. He rushed over to him, picking him up.

            “Keep going. Go!” he yelled at his brother. Loraden continued running, all fear gone from his face, now replaced with determination and bravery. Arateer admired his brother’s strength and courage, turning to see if they were being followed, and he started slightly. L’thorians were flooding down the path, nearly upon him.

            Arateer loosed three arrows rapidly, and they all slammed into their targets in quick succession. Before the bodies even hit the floor, he was gone, running for his life. As he was nearing the turnoff he needed to take, Arateer caught up to his brother. Right as they were about to pass it, he grabbed his brother’s arm and yanked him sideway and onto the path.

            “You’re almost there keep running,” he yelled, and he turned his head, seeing the L’thorians were nearly caught up to them. Without hesitating, he sprinted forward and picked his brother up, knowing they could move faster if he carried him. He neared the edge of the trees and he saw through the thicket Toreal and more figures there. “Please be ready.” He muttered to himself. He broke clear of the trees and was met with twelve bows, all loaded with razor sharp arrows, pointed at him.

            “Get down now,” Toreal screamed at him and Arateer dove forward, rolling onto his back to shield Loraden. Immediately, all the bows spat their arrows forward, and the L’thorians that were chasing them fell to the hail of arrows that greeted them. The elves fired again and again, and the L’thorians continued charging out of the woods into the faces of death.  Arateer pushed himself back with his legs, and got behind the elves.

            He hopped to his feet and added his arrows to the deadly hail awaiting the L’thorians. Out of nowhere, one of the massive creatures landed in front of the elves, the arrows piercing its skin. It roared, and it neck shot forward, snapping up an elf. They all jumped back, and Arateer nearly slipped off of the cliff.

            The one that Arateer shot in the eye landed on the other side of the river, and L’thorians gathered around it. Now that the deadly barrage of arrows had stopped, L’thorian soldiers continued charging out of the woods, surrounding the remaining elves. Arateer looked around and noticed his father, Laramoss, along with Erineya, Toreal, Morgatell, Iraslayne, Oriadne, Arraley, Loraden, Filear, and Theramon, and two other elves.

            “Surrender now and your lives will be spared,” growled a L’thorian warrior. Laramoss turned and Arateer met his father’s eyes. He knew what he was thinking. Half of him thought it was crazy, but the other half knew it would buy them time. Another one of the elves was Laramoss’s best friend, Sorameth. Laramoss nodded, and turned back to face the L’thorian. Arateer tapped Morgatell and Theramon’s elbows, and they glanced at him, and understood what he was thinking. The quickly spread the silent message to the rest of the elves assembled.

            “Fine, we surrender,” Laramoss said, dropping his bow in the ground. Everyone else slid theirs on their backs. Sorameth dropped his too. The L’thorians remained silent, watching the elves with shifty eyes. “Now!” Laramoss yelled and he drew his massive broadsword out of its scabbard, and Sorameth drew his too. Arateer’s friends turned and sprinted, hurling themselves over the cliff.

            Laramoss launched himself off of Sorameth’s back, and flew through the air, slamming his sword into the neck of the giant creature. Sorameth engaged the L’thorians on the ground. It happened so suddenly that the L’thorians stood and watched. Arateer sprinted forward and grabbed his father’s bow, his heart pounding like a drum. The creature roared, rearing up on its hind legs, flinging Laramoss off of him, but the damage had been done. Blood spurted out of the wound, spraying the snow with reddish black droplets.

            Sorameth was cut down, but only after he took down six L’thorians. Arateer ran, hurling himself off of the cliff, right behind the elf whose name he didn’t know. They flew through the air, cold wind stinging their faces. Suddenly, one of the creatures sped through the air, snatching the elf in front of Arateer out of the air, and Arateer slammed against its back, bouncing off of it winded.

            Arateer dropped like a rock, unable to right himself. He slammed into the water, his side flaring with pain at impact. Fighting through the pain, Arateer kicked to the surface and glided through the water quickly, trying to get out of bow range. Arrows from the L’thorian bows rained down in the water, nearly hitting him.

            Morgatell was waiting in the shallows for him. He grabbed Arateer’s shirt and hauled out of the water, propelling him forward with a shove to his back.

            “Run now,” He yelled at him and they sprinted off into the woods, away from the hail of arrows and the creatures. Arateer’s heart felt heavy, not only because his father and his friend had sacrificed themselves for Arateer and his friends, but also because he’d lost his father’s bow in the fall. As they left behind the burning remains of their village and the bodies of their many friends, they heard a deep boom ring out through the forest, caused by the body of the creature Laramoss had attacked and killed slamming into the valley floor.

 

 

            They ran for hours, never stopping, going farther than Arateer had ever ventured. The roars of the creatures echo through the woods. Arateer assumed that more had arrived because it sounded as if there were six or seven of them now soaring above the trees, hunting their prey. Sweat was pouring down Arateer’s face, and his muscles were burning, screaming for a break.

            They stumbled into an open space big enough for a camp, with plenty of branches shielding them from the sky. No undergrowth was in the clearing, but some was around the edges, hugging the trees. Arateer realized how good of a spot this could be, and he signaled for everyone to stop.

            “Let’s stop here. Before we do anything else, grab as many leaves and branches as you can. We need to shield ourselves from those damned beasts chasing us.” Everyone nodded in agreement and immediately set off to gather supplies. Loraden slumped to the ground, sweat still glistening on his small body. Arateer walked over to him and knelt at his side.

            “I want you sleeping right besides me tonight. Whatever happens, I want you by my side so I can always keep an eye on you.” Loraden looked back at his older brother with sad eyes.

            “Dad’s dead, isn’t he.” Said Loraden, a defeated look on his face. Arateer’s heart clenched and a cold feeling filled his stomach. He clenched his fists, and tears brimmed at his eyes. His father was dead, and nothing he did would bring him back. The tears broke free from their watery prison and slid down his face.

            Arateer’s shoulder’s racked with silent sobs as he realized that nearly all of his friends and family had been ruthlessly murdered. Anger and sadness welled up inside of him, filling his entire being. Overcome with his pent up emotions, Arateer threw his head back and screamed, letting the emotions take over.

            He held it for as long as he could, and when the screams finally died down, he toppled silently to the cold hard ground, a thick layer of snow gently massaging his face. He lay there for what seemed like an eternity. When he gained control of his emotions once again, he pushed up into a sitting position, and then a hard realization hit him.

            Their tracks could be traced through the snow! At that moment, he noticed all of his friends around him, looks of sadness on their faces as well, and tears as well. Before he could say anything, a fat snowflake drifted down through the trees and landed gently on his leg, nestling there before it slowly melted.

            Arateer glanced up and saw more snowflakes following it, most blocked by the thick cover of branches overhead, and his heart lifted. A big snowstorm was coming, easily enough to erase their tracks. For the first time in what felt like forever, luck was finally turning their way.

            He also noticed the well-sized number of branches that were piled in the middle of the clearing, most of which were pine. He was confused, because not many pines were around their village, but then he realized they must have run even farther than they had thought.

            “What should we do?” The question came from Theramon, and it was directed at Arateer. Scanning he faces around him, Arateer realized they were all looking expectantly at him. He was surprised that they were looking to him for direction. Looking around the clearing once more, he came to a decision.

            “We have to sleep at the edges of the clearing, otherwise we’ll be easily spotted. Cover yourselves with these branches, because if one of us is found, we’re all dead.” As he said this, his stomach growled, but he knew it was too risky to go out and hunt for food.

            “Where are we headed?” Iraslayne asked, and all the others murmured their agreement.

            “Why are you asking me the questions?” Arateer responded, ignoring Iraslayne’s question for the moment.

            Erineya stood up, giving him a look of respect and something else, something he couldn’t quite place. “Isn’t it obvious,” she said, “You’re are leader. We all trust you and you’ve been the leader of your group for years. We trust you with our lives and we wouldn’t want anyone else to lead.”

            No one objected, and Arateer suddenly felt as if the world were weighing on his shoulders. Every decision he made could cost every single on of them their lives. He started to panic, but Toreal’s hand on his shoulder brought his confidence up.

            “Well,” Arateer started, “I haven’t really planned out where we should head. I was thinking about heading to another of our villages, but I don’t think there will be any left. My first instinct is to put as much distance between us and them-“ he indicated with his hand the direction of his village, and the L’thorians, “-So I think we should try to get over the mountains at the end of the valley.”

            “Sounds like a plan.” Said Oriadne.

            “Let’s get some sleep now. I have a feeling we’ll need all the energy we can get.” Arateer stood and walked over to the pile of branches, beckoning Loraden over with him. They grabbed a few sizeable branches and moved to the edge of the trees. The others followed suit, and soon the clearing was nearly as empty as it had been before the presence of the elves.

Arateer slid under a large bush pushing snow out for around the center, both making a sort of wall of snow to cover him and his brother and to clear space for them to rest. After a few minutes of intense work, a big enough space for the both of them was cleared. He signaled Loraden in and they both nestled into the spaces. Arateer removed his bow and swords, setting them to the side. He then slid off his belt and quiver, adding those to the pile of weapons, and then placed a branch over top of it.

Before getting fully settled, he peeked his head slightly above the wall he created and was happy to see that everyone else was hidden from sight, all but invisible. He knew they would be impossible to see in the dark, which gave him a sense of relief. He rolled down onto the ground and pulled Loraden close. The little elf was already asleep, and Arateer draped the branches on top of both of them, feeling secure. 

He fell asleep instantly, and in the cold dark night, the only sounds to be heard were the now distant roars of the creatures and the peacefully quiet sound of the snow blanketing the earth in its cold embrace.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2017 Paul V.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on March 22, 2016
Last Updated on February 12, 2017


Author

Paul V.
Paul V.

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Paul V.


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Paul V.


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Paul V.