Valiance

Valiance

A Story by Aries
"

An original story I've been writing.

"

As Erin woke, yawning blearily and rubbing his eyes, he felt as though something was different about today. Taking in his surroundings, nothing had changed. The drab grey walls were still drab and grey. The tiny pallet he slept on was still hard and uncomfortable. He looked over. All the other pallets lined up against the wall were empty. Everyone else at the home seemed to have left without him. But, as he listened he could hear faint music playing and what sounded like hundreds of eager voices combined.

The coronation! He had nearly forgotten the importance of today. Today happened to be the coronation and the ceremony that made certain that the soon to be named crown prince, Seron III, ruler of the central kingdom, Baron of Valdala city, etc, etc, would inherit the kingdom. He was the grandson of the first Donain leader, Seron I and it was his grandfather who had extended the Donainian’s control over the entire kingdom and exiled all other tribes. He was a legend.

Eagerly throwing the covers aside, Erin slipped on a clean shirt and flew out the door. He didn't even take time to brush his mop of  messy brown curls. As he rushed out the door he saw that a crowd of commoners had gathered already, making their way to the castle like a swift moving parade. He then spotted his neighbour and friend, Kerri’s red haired head, amidst the group. Kerri wasn't the most attentive person and he had a liking for sarcasm but he was a nice guy and was seventeen like Erin so they got along well.

"Kerri!" He called, flailing his arms about, trying to get his attention. Kerri turned upon hearing his name and he glanced in the direction of the yell. his gaze landed on Erin. He brightened and a grin crossed his freckled face.

"Hey Erin! Come on!" He called, before the crowd swept him away again.

"I'm coming! Wait up!" Erin ran after him, jostling the crowd and causing confusion. Passerby glared as he rushed to catch up to his friend.

As the crowd of peasants reached the courtyard to the castle gate, Erin could barely contain his excitement.

"This is amazing! We get to see a whole coronation! What is it going to be like? Will we get to see the king?" He jabbered on, too fast for Kerri to get a word in edgewise or to actually answer any of his questions. Suddenly trumpets sounded. The people in the courtyard all simultaneously turned to discover the source of the sound. A rather short gentleman appeared on the great balcony, his nose in the air.

"Attention! Attention all! Esteemed guests and . . . others." he said casting a disdainful glance on the group of commoners as though they were dirt he had scraped off his fancy boots.

"The anointment ceremony begins in a half hour!" As this news began to circulate through the crowd, the gentleman on the balcony, apparently satisfied, turned heel and left.

It was then, as the crowd dispersed, when Erin noticed that the courtyard had been prepared for the guests, noble and common alike. There were several booths set up, selling their wares; a few bards had been given a spot upon a raised platform and there were merchants strolling the courtyard with trays of fine delicacies. They even had a few stone statues of Valdala, the idol of the city for whom it was named, looking both graceful and foreboding.

Still hungry, Erin started towards a merchant boasting an array of pastries before a hand clamped onto his shoulder. He spun around.

"That's 'im! That's th' boy!" The man that had grabbed Erin's shoulder was a palace guard, accompanied by a stout man who stunk heavily of ale and was shaking a stubby finger at him. What in the name of Traitor Mountain is going on? Erin thought, feeling a sudden panic. 

"He bumped into me in the crowd. When I turned around he took the coin out of my pocket." he breathed heavily. It was obvious that he was both drunk and angry which is never a good combination.

"I-I never took anyone's money" Eriin stammered. He was confused. He'd only pushed through the people to catch up to his friend, he told them.

"Pah! Likely story!" The man snorted.

"Do you have any coin on you?" the guard asked, sternly. Erin gulped, he did have money. He was going to be framed for this for sure!

"Ah ha! Look how guilty he looks," the drunkard gloated.

"Are you sure it was him sir?" The guard asked, turning back to the drunk man.

“Of course I'm sure! Can't you see-" as the guard and the inebriated man began to argue, a head poked out from between the folded fabric of the nearest tent booth.

"Psst!" the disembodied head hissed. "Quick! In here!" and equally disembodied arm appeared and grabbed Erin by the collar, dragging him inside the booth.

"Thanks! You really saved my-" that was a far as he got before the person who had grabbed, him clamped a hand over his mouth.

"Shhh! They'll hear you!" The hand released him. For the first time, Erin noticed his saviour, or possibly kidnapper, was a girl. She was petite with long black hair and piercing, blue-grey eyes. She was wearing a long black cloak with a hood over a green velvet dress.

"Sorry about that" she whispered. "Now watch." She peeked through the seams of the tent again and he did the same.

The drunken man was in a rage, upset at having lost his supposed thief. He was screaming and making threats while another guard had been summoned to subdue him.

"That was worth it." The girl said, a hand over her mouth as she attempted to smother her laughter. Erin watched with relief as the guards dragged the man from the courtyard, probably preparing him for the stocks.

"They're gone now." He turned towards the mystery girl.

"Good riddance to him." she said, dusting off her skirt. Erin took this time to look around the tent he was in. There were several bottles lined up against a shelf with labels he couldn't read. There were also an assortment of tools on a rickety table and an empty cooking cauldron in one corner.

"What is all this stuff?" He asked, grabbing one of the bottles and examining it.

"We haven't been properly introduced," the girl said, "My name is Valri and this is my apothecary booth." She turned to Erin and curtsied. Erin was confused. Why was Valri was curtsying to him?

"You don't have to curtsy to me. I'm just a peasant." At this note, the mood in Valri’s tent shifted.

"I don't care for their rules!" She insisted. "I don't take orders from a Donain." She crossed her arms.

"But- but I'm a Donain! What else could I be?" Erin stammered.

"I'm sure that's what they told you." she stated, smugly. "But I can see through that quite clearly." See through what? Erin thought.

"Are you an orphan?" Boy, that was an off topic question. But how did she know that?

"Yes. Why does that matter?" he asked.

"I knew it!" She gloated. Then suddenly turning serious, she scrutinized him.

"Because," she cleared her throat, "You aren’t a Donain. One of your parents was most likely an Arrian, an outlaw.”

"What?! Erin was shocked still, his head thrown into a whirlwind of emotions he hardy knew he had! All his life, he had heard of the mysterious Arrian tribe. They were evil! They studied the very blackest of magics. He wasn't evil and he certainly didn't have magic! Besides, he reasoned, they all died out years ago. There aren't any of them left.

"It's not true! I won't believe it!" he shouted, suddenly rearing up.

"Oh it's definitely true. I can tell. The only way no one else has figured it out yet is because your other parent was a Donain."she said in a matter of fact tone.

"But I don't have magic! My parents were farmers; from Tenille, out in the country!"

"Keep it down!" Valri hissed,"The guards might come back." That shut Erin up. Valri looked through the flap in the side of the tent once more. “They’re gone but it’s best to keep your voice down, anyway.”

"But," he whispered. "Don't the Arrian tribe have black magic?" Erin was certain that he didn't possess evil powers. At least, he thought he didn't.

"Black magic!?” Valri sputtered. “Who told you that?"

"That's what everyone says. It's common knowledge." Erin said, assuredly.

"Then everyone is wrong! Are these the kinds of lies the Donain people have been spreading!?"Valri had clearly forgotten being quiet and was absolutely fuming! Erin could have sworn he saw steam coming from her ears!

"I don't understa-" Erin started. Suddenly the trumpets sounded again.

"Attention! Attention all!" It was the snobbish man again. "The ceremony is about to begin.” he trilled. “Please take your seats."

A roar went up from the crowd as they made a mad dash for the best seats.

"I'll explain everything later." Valri promised. And with that she fled the tent leaving Erin in the dust.



© 2015 Aries


Author's Note

Aries
Please tell me if there is anything you disliked or thought could be improved. I'll try and fix it as soon as possible.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on April 7, 2015
Last Updated on April 7, 2015
Tags: fantasy, friendship, medieval