World 2074

World 2074

A Story by Leo French
"

A look into a possible future where technology itself could possibly result in far more than lost of revenue but in fact life or death

"
Advances in technologies' continued to move Earth forward in every aspect of life.  Phenomenal advances in technologies, medical, aviation was like a shining star more so the corporations creating these futuristic projects that could not have been believed some 30 years ago.  Of course there's usually a price to pay and that meant corporations were at war with each other.  Human like robots were sent in to other corporations to infiltrate competing companies in an effort to steal secrets so they can be ahead of the game.

A word had leaked out that a brilliant inventor Jessie Kamp developed a digital wall.  Not just a wall but a cube like wall who's fields travel a mile beneath the ground. and a mile high above the ground.  The cube's force field can be expanded for several miles across. The cube is generated and maintained from one of  the satellites in space.  The cube is a sky blue color on the outside of the cube making it impossible to see into the cube or hear inside the cube.  Inside the cube the walls  looks like giant big screen TVs.  One can see everything, hear everything outside the cube.  In an effort to get this cube technology tensions were at a fever pitch, one might say war had broken out and tech. wars were now raging.  Corporations were using known and unknown technology to fight each other across the globe.


No one knew who used it but a low lying gas was released, a gas that puts all living minds not only asleep but also effects how much one can remember having inhaled that gas.  It was a Sunday morning and people in Wyoming are starting to wakeup, they're waking up to the barrier cube.  There were thousands of people inside this cube and among the general population people in that cube were some brilliant minds also in that cube.  Beyond the cube at a distance they could see people moving around and seemingly paying little attention to the cube.  Inside the the cube people were wondering what has happen?  Were they crusaders trapped in this cube and need to free themselves so they can help restore the country, the world to a better existance.

Inside the cube people decided they need to remove this cube's barrier so for months they worked on building an electronic device that can switch off the cube beam. It took a lot of effort and some luck but oneday scientist Glene Pike stated over a loud speaker he believes he's found the frequency that will switch off the beam.  He suggest people gather up what they can carry because "tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM we can all walk out of this cube".  The next day people lined up with their blanklets, water bottles etc.  People holding their breath watched Glene Pike press that button on his machine but before the beam shut off a pre-recorded meassage blasted through the loud speakers,
with  an electronic voice saying "Too Soon-The Cube Has Been Deactivated Too Soon.  It was designed to shut down in 30 more years because the virus implanted into kill bots should be complete by then.  We inflected them with a virus that should completely deactivate in 30 more years.  We put all the people we could in that cube because we knew we weren't going to win but having remove the cube now  I doubt mankind will ever exist again.  The cube disappeared and people could see in the distance puffs of dirt heading straight for them.

The End.

© 2021 Leo French


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
Added on February 22, 2021
Last Updated on February 24, 2021
Tags: Technology, Tech, Business, Future, Stranded, Hopeless

Author

Leo French
Leo French

About
I was born and raised in the Mid-West of USA. Served in United States Army (veteran). Resided in California a number of years. Hobbies: photography, amature computer programming. Published a book .. more..

Writing
Year 2131 Year 2131

A Story by Leo French