The Heart Doesn't Lie

The Heart Doesn't Lie

A Story by Mara
"

This story is about a guy (Alex) that can't ignore his feelings for a girl (Maya), though they are not supposed to be together

"

Alex could lie to anybody. To teachers, to his parents and even to his friends. Nobody saw through him. He had always been an exceptional liar, even from a young age. He even remembered his first lie.

oOoOo

It was four a.m. on Christmas Morning in the year 1983, Alex was five and a half years old. He sneaked down the stairs, trying to be as quiet as possible. He walked into the drawing room, where the Christmas Tree stood. There were many presents underneath the tree. He knew most of them, if not all, were for him. Little Alex almost burst with excitement, wondering what the colored boxes held inside them.
After looking through all the amazing presents, Alex sneaked back to his bed. He couldn’t sleep, though. He was too excited to play with the enormous toy car he got!
When his door opened, around eight a.m., he feigned sleep, knowing it was probably Nathan or Calleigh, checking if he was already up.
“Alex, darling. Are you up yet?” Calleigh asked her son. Alex pretended to just wake up and yawned.
“Alex, did you already open your presents?” Nathan asked, not caring if he sounded a bit more harsh than necessary.
The little boy realized he must’ve mistaken two presents’ packing paper, or something of the sort.
“No, father.” The lie slipped easily from his tongue and his mother nodded and smiled at him. His father merely looked at him, searching his eyes for the sign of a lie. When he found none, he nodded too and smiled at his son - or, as much of a smile Nathan Pierce could muster.

oOoOo

But, as Alex recently learned, one’s heart doesn’t lie. He could lie about it to anybody and they would believe it, but not to himself. He tried, he really did, because he knew it was wrong. He couldn’t love her. He had to forget about it. Lie about it. But he couldn’t, even though he tried really hard. He couldn’t escape the truth. He couldn’t handle the lies anymore. He had to do something about it.
   
He walked towards her, she sat in a corner of the room, all by herself. Every person in the entire hall was watching him, not  knowing what to expect. He reached the brown-haired girl and looked her right in her brown, doe-like eyes.
“I can’t handle it anymore. I can’t go on with the lies. I need to get the truth out,” he said to her. He was aware of everyone staring holes in his back, but he couldn’t care less. He had to get this off his chest. So he went on, staring right into her curious eyes. “It’s just... You fucked me up, Maya. You really did. Everything was so plain and simple before, but then you came along and you just had to change everything.

“I’ve never felt bad about lying to someone before - and with before, I mean before you arrived. Then I met you. You fucked me up. You made me feel sorry, made me feel compassion, made me care. And then, halfway through your stay here - or maybe it was somewhere around the start - I started to feel other things. Butterflies fluttering in my stomach every time I saw you smiling, all the lovey-dovey things, you know?

“And then I knew you really changed everything. I mean; me, Alex Nathan Pierce, brother of Kyle Pierce, a person who can't be seen with anyone but the most rich and popular girl, fell in love with the most obvious example of the opposite girl that was ment for me, or so they thought.

“So, I hid it. I never told a single person. I lied to everyone I know. I think nobody noticed. But I started to feel bad, you know? I lied to everybody. I felt so bad that right now I’m confessing it all to you, and to everybody in this bloody cave. I’ll probably get disowned. But I don’t freaking care, because " I can’t ignore it any longer " I love you, Maya Natalia Castleberry.

“I love your bushy hair, your know-it-all attitude, your button nose and the cute freckles surrounding it, your kind brown eyes, your heart-warming smile, but most of all: I love that you’re good in every way, you always show kindness, even to people who don’t deserve it at all. It gives me hope that you’ll look at me like that one day. And it makes me fall a little harder each time I see it.”

Finished with his speech, Alex realized he’d been looking at his shoes while saying the last two sentences. For the first time in his life, Alex Pierce was embarrassed. He looked back up when he heard someone applauding a few moments after he finished. 

Jeremy  Boydell stood up from his table, smiling at him while he applauded. Then professor Broughton stood up as well and joined the Headmaster. Soon after, more people joined, including - to everybody’s surprise - his brother Kyle.

“After a confession like that, I can’t help but wonder if you’re heartless and selfish enough to be a human,
Alex,” Jeremy spoke smiling, his blue eyes sparkling.

© 2011 Mara


Author's Note

Mara
I would appreciate it if you tell me what you think and tell me if I made mistakes. I wrote it very quickly and I haven't given it much of a thought.. Thanks! X

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It was sort of corny, but the idea is cute, and like the writing style.

However, it seemed kind of incomplete. i could see you were trying to portray certain relationships between certain characters (alex and his brother, alex and maya, alex and his parents) but with such brief examples of encounters between these characters, it was hard to fully understand the extent of their relationships. Obviously this is a short story and shouldnt have the detail of a novel, but i think if you fleshed it out a bit, added more dialogue from characters other than alex and added some more background, it has potential.

also, be careful to stay consistent with the main character's name, sometimes he's alex and sometimes hes ian.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

361 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 12, 2011
Last Updated on June 12, 2011

Author

Mara
Mara

Tucson, AZ



About
My name is Mara and I'm seventeen. I've brown hair and dark brown eyes. Writing is my passion, though I like reading, singing, dancing, jogging and playing volleyball and soccer too. I mostly write in.. more..

Writing
June 5th June 5th

A Story by Mara


- Black Rose - - Black Rose -

A Poem by Mara