The Chains of Regret

The Chains of Regret

A Story by ArmourOfGod
"

A letter to a mother from the man that killed her daughter.

"
I say this now to you. I've screwed up my life in more ways than one may imagine. Done countless things I have come to regret. In fact, my whole being seems to have been a terrible mistake. An unfortunate existence of failure. But of all the things I've done, all the people I have hurt, it has never hurt anyone more than me. Until now. My conviction was a wakeup call. There is nothing I could do in a million lifetimes with all the riches in the world that would justify even asking. I write to you this day to express to you with everything I am, just how deeply I regret the terrible wrong done to you by my hand. I have been in this wretched cell for nearly five years now, only the beginning of my sentence.
I know that this letter should have been in your hands the day it happened. I have found God in the time that I have been here. I have been told that he forgives and accepts anyone and everyone. This seems impossible, as I have yet to forgive myself nor do I think I ever will. I don't see how after all the things I've done, anyone at all shall forgive my transgressions. Everyone has flaws but if you took a look at my life all you would see is one big flaw. I am still learning to accept what God has to offer and what he teaches. I know you and your family are Christians. Maybe that means you have forgiven me. All I can say at this point is I need someone or something to be my guide. I would like that to be God.
I can list a thousands words to express my regret and remorse at the choices and lifestyle I have lived. And what I did. None will ever be able to convey the depth of those feelings as much as they truly are within my heart and soul. They will never leave me but I wish to find a form of peace to quiet the unending battle that goes on in my conscience. I suppose lifting some of the weight of this burden is not at all what I deserve. I can't tell you how dark my world has been. Has always been, since my childhood. I am responsible for what I have done but how I grew up did not help how I saw the world and what compelled me to make these choices.
Just to have a tiny shred of peace and hope that I can be better I only ask that you write me back. I don't care if there is only a sentence on a torn page portraying the anger and hatred you may have for me. Just write one word. I am still living and that seems an injustice to your daughter her death did not bring a single good thing to this world. If that good thing is to change a man like me then that is what I want to do. Please just tell me what I can do. Anything to make the loss of a girl like her not be for nothing.

© 2014 ArmourOfGod


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on February 17, 2014
Last Updated on February 17, 2014