Underground - Chapter 5

Underground - Chapter 5

A Chapter by Wind Chaser

I found it difficult to register what he had proposed.

 

I felt disappointed that there was no legendary royal tomb as well; but after the government’s professional archaeological team dissected that area and still found no burial ground, the most I would say was that I felt there should still be a tomb somewhere. For someone as pragmatic as Julian, I really did not understand why he would make that statement. He probably picked up my thoughts from my burlesque stare, but Julian shook his head and told me to listen to his explanation.

 

“I don’t see how this didn’t occur to the government;” Julian began typing on his phone, “but after going back and thinking about it all again, there seemed to be a few questions still unanswered.”

 

“First, why would there be one unique and significantly more refined artefact separated from the entire pit of articles used for rituals? Keep in mind that even though they were all made from bronze, the one article is more delicate in its carvings than the rest; this means it must have come from elsewhere and belongs to a group of artefacts just as carefully manufactured. Secondly,” Julian paused to take a drink, “if this was a sacrificial ground for an entire empire, or at least for hundreds of nobles to view, then why is it located so obscurely in a forest distant from where their city might have been? Even if it was a sacred ground remote from civilization, it would be acceptable if there was a discovery of the ruins of a city within a few miles. However, as you’ve heard, there were none.”

 

I carefully processed his reasoning and tried to search for any fallacies, immediately realizing that there were none. I was also quite excited at the thought of possibly discovering another piece of history, though more intensely so at the secrets and riches it may hold. I pulled the reins on my imagination as something else materialized in my mind.

 

It was nice of Julian to tell me about all this and inform me on the possibility, but why would he choose to tell me all of this? True, we were close; but unless there was news concerning me or the both of us, Julian hardly ever narrated his adventures so intently. Why me, over an archaeological organization and the Chinese government, both of which had the ability of supplying a team to investigate further? Julian, in fact, held the ability to fund an expedition and could even become involved with the project if he wished. My stomach churned a bit as a bad feeling began to take shape.

 

My friend became silent after his explanation and returned to his phone, though clearly contemplating something other than what occupied his hands. The pounding in my head matched the racing taps of his fingers as an ominous uneasiness slithered up my spine. I tried focusing on the slow music playing in the coffee shop, but the turmoil simply refused to leave me. Finally, I exhaled in surrender and threw a question at Julian.

 

“So… have you told the government or anyone else about this yet?” I stared at the edge of the coffee cup’s lid, refusing to meet his eyes, “If you’re so sure that there really is a tomb, you should, like, get someone to check it out.” I flinched at the haltingness of my sentence.

 

The typing paused for a second before continuing again. Julian, without looking up from the screen, replied in a slightly less satisfied manner, “Well, I haven’t told the government or any type of organization about it yet, and am not planning to do so anytime soon. And yes, I have told a few others about my theory other than you.”

 

Julian regained his silence without raising his eyes to survey me. It seems that he was contacting many people at the same time, hardly having time to stop between messages. Regardless of that, my chest was compressed by the unnatural silence between us as my arrhythmic pulse became painfully evident again. Julian still wanted to continue this discussion, but he was clearly demanding something from me. What could I do for someone who has all the resources he needs? The uncomfortable feeling folded around me again as more suppositions whirled into shape. I was beginning to hear ringing in my ears. The question of my role hung in the air, and neither seemed willing to ask it.

 

Shaking away my ambivalence, I finally gave in, “So…could I help you in any way? In… finding out more about the tomb perhaps?” This time, Julian stopped typing and shut the screen of his phone.

 

“If you’re interested, yes;” Julian clasped his hands together and leaned forward in a very business-like manner, “Do you want to join us in search of the tomb?”

 

I sat there, dumbfounded at his immediate and crisp offer. Even though I predicted something of the sort in store, I still found it quite difficult to process his sentence. We sat there for about five minutes staring at each other before I was able to rasp out a reply.

 

“Wh-what do you mean by ‘us’?”

 

“Oh, you aren’t expecting me to explore that indigenous area all by myself now, are you?” Julian gave me a tight grin, “By ‘us’ I mean a team of people experienced at this type of work.”

 

“Wait,” I tried to catch up with Julian’s thoughts, “where did you get this team? If you haven’t told any legal official…”

 

“Shh"” Julian leaned forward, “I’ll tell you more if you’re willing to tag along… So are you going to join us?”

 

            For a second, it seemed as if we were sitting in the playground of our elementary school again, hidden behind the cascading slide and plotting our escape from the talons of the afternoon’s English class. I would whimper at the thought of the disapproval in our teacher’s eyes, and Julian would have that mischievous gleam in his pupils.

           

            “But… Ms. Maser will be mad…” My teary eyes threatened to wash over, “I don’t want mummy to be sad…”

 

            “It’s okay Salmon! They won’t know,” Julian always dammed the flow with his composure and confidence, “We’ll be very, very quiet.”

 

            “But…”

 

            “Do you trust me?”

 

            “Ye-Yes…”

 

            “Well I promise it’ll be okay.” He held out his chubby palm and beamed.

 

            I sniffled away the brimming tidal wave and took his hand. Then we headed to class before slipping out the back door as the lazy mistress dismissed the class to email her boyfriend. We were eventually caught after a few attempts and berated (during which I had a full on rain storm); but after a week, we would sneak out again.

 

            Sinking back to the ambient jazz and alluring aroma of coffee beans, I rethought Julian’s request.

 

My curiosity gnawed at me mercilessly in the next thirty seconds before I nodded dumbly, but certainly, at the peer sitting in front of me. Julian let out a deep breath, almost as if he was relieved. Everything from that point on moved at an incomprehensible speed, as I gulped down the last bit of cold, bittersweet coffee before standing up with him to leave the shop.

 

On the way out, Julian began rambling about something completely off topic that I did not catch at all. I nodded and agreed as we talked on, but was lost in my own realm for the entire time. I still have not regained my composure and ability to think from the agreement yet, and was absolutely desperately trying to do so. The only thing I caught at the end was that he would contact me through email to provide further details.

 

We bid farewell after that and I watched Julian’s slim silhouette disappear into the arms of a dark-coloured Porsche. He waved to me before pulling out of the parking lot and driving off onto the street. Because my house was only a few shops down and in opposite directions as Julian’s destination, I declined his offer to drive me back.

 

I looked up into the sky and was surprised to find the chaos in the distant horizon. A carton of multi-coloured paint had spilt in the sky; the retreating sun was protected by a stubborn ring of orange that still refused to be devoured by the enveloping rose and violet silks. A blanket of blue ink followed close behind, still yet to reveal itself fully. I watched as the last sliver of light collapsed below the horizon, leaving the tint of orangey warmth idling solely on its own before dissipating into the darker mixture as well.

 

I had subconsciously reached out a hand to feel rain, and realized that it had finally stopped. Turning on my heels, I decided to set all of the day’s madness aside and take a stroll back home.

 

A relieved sigh caught in my throat as did a half turn.

 

 I froze there in an awkward, twisted position staring at the gradually dispersing traffic on the street. It was past rush hour, and everyone was scurrying back to their warm little nests. Passing drivers must have thought I had a spasm or was crazy, for they rewarded me with concerned or confused stares before refocusing on the road in front of them.

 

I was not concentrating on any of them. I did not even realize I was attracting so much attention until my twisted legs protested in agony some five minutes later. All that caught my attention was a vehicle parked on the side of the street along with a parade of others.

 

It was a black van, one quite large too; if not monstrous, it was definitely large enough to bulldoze a pedestrian in a hurry to cross the street.

 

A pedestrian like me.



© 2014 Wind Chaser


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on November 2, 2014
Last Updated on November 2, 2014


Author

Wind Chaser
Wind Chaser

Markham, Ontario, Canada



About
Writing is Love, Writing is Life. I love losing myself in my little mind palace and stepping into the shoes of my imaginary characters. I also have a passion for ancient civilizations, for their my.. more..

Writing