Boat Trip Story

Boat Trip Story

A Story by Ewen A Morrison
"

Basic drafting, based on our boating trips/Sea-lochs etc.

"

1.    Our bow lazily swung to port, after I'd eased back on the Outboard's throttle... the final hint of movement carried her into alignment, followed by gently beaching the small vessel. Easing over the gunnel's edge, I comfortably settled feet on the gravelly shore.  I wore my new drysuit... it's almost incredible to think of how much we used the original wetsuits (one lives and learns, of course!). After taking the boat's light tow rope up the shore-way, I  used a convenient post onto which hitched the line.  After a short period of shuttling camping gear to the chosen site, I pitched the 2 person tent (which was ideal for solo use). After opening my coffee flask and settling to enjoyed my sandwiches, I pondered the next part of this sea loch journey.

*

2.   Although this particular voyage involves a small rowing boat and outboard motor, Loch Etive is a keenly favoured boating area in general - with ready access to the adjacent sea, of course. 'Boating' encompasses much, much more than this rowing boat. There's too much to easily tell here, but such a story as this would be incomplete without mentioning our collective love of Kayaking - especially sea kayaking. I'm presently reviewing and editing this essay, a couple of days after a very enjoyable paddle with one of my best friends, Murray Young. He and I had taken a short trip to nearby Ganavan beach, stopping just short of it, where we relaxed and enjoyed coffee and a beer. 

##


3.   Sea-Kayak while being aware of forecast tending towards 'showery'. Good to enjoy comfort in the wilds too, when possible. While I enjoy being 'minimalist' in every respect, including home-furnishing, I certainly enjoy being efficient in work and leisure, which includes camping practices! My engrossment in many forms of rope and chord work has flourished over the years an 'addiction', one may say. (Thankfully, without 'cure'!) I have never been officially taught rope-work, knots etcetera, except my training in R. Wotherspoon, the local House Furnisher and the related repair/restoration department  (another verse in 'life's-story'). Prior to this Trade-work, my first professionally taught knot was by a dear friend's big brother, who showed me how to tie the buntline-hitch, as he had learned during his Merchant Navy training...many thanks to my navy-friend,

I've used it effectively, in both work and leisure time too!

'Knot-work' certainly requires regular practice and usage to become as natural as may wish. Have been naturally drawn towards knots practised and favoured by people requiring dependable and reliable fixing: such as climbers and boatmen sometimes use! While camping, one's life doesn't depend on efficient chord-work and usage, but the satisfaction of efficiency can't be ignored - another 'yard-stick' to 'mind', in work or leisure.


4.  Obliged to interrupt anticipation, and return attention to the present, realising that a comfortable 'sleepover' in the boat instead of 'mini-tent', appealed more! Humming and nodding agreeing with myself - after a brief rearrangement, and now more secure mooring, which had boat anchored a few meters further offshore. With my trusty 'self-inflating' bed-roll given it's customary few puffs more, I knew I'd certainly enjoy the extra firmness gained. Virtually no current to consider, and I relished the prospect of reading a few pages of one of my favourite books; part of the pleasure of revisiting old books is akin to meeting an old acquaintance, and re-enjoying the exploration of ideas and opinions... of course, one doesn't expect to agree/disagree, necessarily! Reading a book that induces 'pause-for-thought', will always be worthwhile... whatever the outcome may be?!


5.  My interest and enjoyment of reading have been a family addiction, and each generation seems to follow this wonderful trend. This has touched a number of relatives, along with the appreciation of poetry... indeed the arts have been threading through all branches of our family tree  - a library would be needed to accommodate such an account though! This search/research voyage is more enjoyable than educational...'going over old ground', so to speak; similar to an eye over a 'work' that one felt satisfied with, as I certainly know... however, 'feeling satisfied with', is seldom good enough and some of my Paintings get hanged, primarily, to keep the work out of harm's way; like most artists, it may be quite some time before the work is done to satisfactory level!  The already convinced enthusiast doesn't need an introduction; which, in any case, is beyond simple description! To fully appreciate, a person certainly, must be there and FEEL the marvel of land, skies, lochs and seas that reflect Scotland! We, who are 'in-the-know', are blessed enough but feel obliged to share among the uninitiated number. We are most comfortable relating our wonderful experience, rather than preaching of merits only! Please visit and enjoy the fond embrace of eternal welcome...become one of the spreading echoes of 'Alba' (Alba is Scotland, in our Gaelic) feel, and spread the word! 




To listen to one of the devout residents of 'Alba' will appeal to a very small number of strangers to Scotland, however, to a countless number who have tasted the embrace of this 'north-land'  they must savour and relish the prospect of bathing in her welcome as soon and as often as possible! 


(******)

   Sometime after the period mentioned at the commencement of this episode, the boatman, myself, returned from the foray along the shores of Loch Etive and met my good friend, Murray, referred to as young Young, in respect of the risk of confusion which has sometimes occurred among others who also know his father, who of course, shares the same surname and simply saying Mr young, doesn't clarify at all!


 In the exchange of references to the voyage, we settled to discussing a previous shared Kayak trip and focused on the mooring point which was where the boat had landed on my boat-trip also.

We concluded that this location wasn't as private as one may think, and further wondered what caught an other's attention, “apart from the undeniable beauty which any boatman would behold”, I smilingly remarked, which led to an intent debate, without conclusion...apart from our decision to return and Kayak to the self same area and attempt to put our minds to rest!


   Prior to this period, Murry Young had purchased a replacement for his recently 'departed' Jeep, which had given long and dependable service, including frequent and varied camping and Bothy trips.  " Friend Murray also enjoyed camping in our wilds, 'Wild-camping', as we referred it by. The wealth of possible combinations is almost inexplicable and endlessly enjoyable! Kayaking and camping go 'hand-in-glove', so date and times were arranged for the earliest suitable occasion. This was to be our first trip since Murry's latest vehicle had been added as an alternative means of conveyance through our countryside, our 'Kayaking' would allow us to shadow my boat trip comfortably. Murry readily agreed, and before noticeable time, we were rounding a shore outcrop, with only a couple of hundred metres until we could come ashore. 

 To facilitate easy, comfortable walking, we left our camping gear in the Kayaks' compartments, and pulled them up onto the grassy verge. As usual, we poured ourselves coffees, before pondering our search plan. Being prepared for both short, or long duration, we eventually set forth and followed our agreed pattern of the investigation, bearing in mind that our discovery shouldn't be too far away from the 'mooring-point'! Within half an hour, our eyes, simultaneously, fell on a barely noticeable cleft in a low embankment... we looked at each other without speaking, simply nodding an unspoken agreement. On investigating, we discovered a neatly wrapped package... we both sat and exchanged words of astonishment and wonder! Before long, we'd opened the package to discover meticulously stacked sums of UK money! Interestingly, we both men cast furtive glances, in all directions, as if we had somehow stolen this money - immediately, however, we both burst out laughing at this incredible reaction. Shaking his head, Murray stated what both were beginning to realize! After a further confused debate, we both agreed to a clear-out straight away!


   While we and our friends are comfortable and proficient in our vessels, our untidy scramble would have shamed even a novice paddler. We set out to gain speed and distance from the scene of our surprise discovery - an 'amalgam of distracting, confused feelings' kept us focused on our progress, while simultaneously blanking other related thoughts. After steadily and intently paddling, we decided to land and 'have a lunch and review'. We did have lunch and deep thoughtful debate. We like to think of ourselves as decent, honest people, and indeed, one of us was still in business where the same qualities certainly mattered! We certainly are equally determined to follow the honourable-path through life, as I had done so in my in my previous profession. We were, and are determined to continue such throughout our lives.                     Content that we would have more time ahead to finally decide, we resolved to make the cleanest getaway possible. While paddling is sound and healthy exercise - that day - we definately put all our energy into our fast-paddling, arriving back at our original departure point, eagerly loading Kayaks on Murray's roof-rack - then away we went!


   The following months came and went six times; the discovery situation seemed to have faded into fainter memories! To our mutual surprise and unease, the subject arose when both had taken several measures of excellent Single Malt. After consciously avoiding a return to the area of the astounding financial-find, we had agreed to an overdue hiking trip and camp experience. After a demanding, tiring but interesting walk, we got camping gear set up and the fire constructed, lit and the eating cooked and consumed.  While whiskey had charged hip-flasks, Murray had decided to take a bottle of his own favourite Malt whiskey...without feeling like debate, we both indulged in reducing the bottle's contents! Both hikers were more than ready for this task, and made good progress, felt, and welcomed the 'enlightening' of 'Malt'.  We could be thought of as 'alcoholic', but both occasionally enjoyed having 'a-tad-too-much'...who could complain, on this occasion?


   The ultimate conclusion, one may say, was arrived at in a manner that we both felt 'OK' about.  We would simply accept this peculiar chance/opportunity, as honourably as possible. To relate the concept of 'honour' to our situation,  predicament and resulting dilemma, was beyond rationality...however one could look at the matter!

Concluding that the money was some form of criminal 'stash' and out-with sensible conclusion,  we both resolved to evolve goodness from what may have been badness! (We felt content that this would be manageable and satisfy legal-neglect.)



© 2022 Ewen A Morrison


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed your story Ewan. One of my favourite pastimes is to head out to the west coast of Scotland. Since retiring early from teaching I've enjoyed visiting the islands, the western Isles and Rhum and Eigg. When I was younger I kayaked out to the treshnish Isles and had a fantasting week wildcamping. Your descriptions all ring very true and bring back happy memories.
All the best and thanks for sharing.
Alan

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
1 Review
Added on May 2, 2014
Last Updated on November 2, 2022
Tags: Alba/Scotland

Author

Ewen A Morrison
Ewen A Morrison

Oban, Argyll and Bute, Scotland, United Kingdom



About
I'm a retired Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor (DSA ADI), "an ADI", as we called each other... A wonderful profession; beneficial for both the instructor and learners. Nowadays,.. more..

Writing
Penman Penman

A Story by Ewen A Morrison