Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ashen May

“Yes, work it Ameerah!'' These are the words that I have been hearing for an hour. And after the twentieth time of hearing it, it's starting to get annoying. The flashing of lights mixed with the clicking sound is really giving me a headache. Finally, the clicking has stopped and I let out a sigh of relief. “Alright everyone, let's take a 20,’’ Micheal Charron, the photo shoot director, booms to everyone. Thank goodness. The sound of my heels clicking across the floor is starting to add to my headache. “Hey Ameerah,” I turned around at the sound of my name being called. Micheal stands there with a giant smile on his face, and a water bottle in his hand. He hands me the water bottle which I take appreciatively. Chugging the water down, I feel like I can finally breathe again. I look back over to Micheal, knowing he’s going to have some sort of notes for me. “You were fabulous as always Ameerah, just one thing. Could you lift your chin up a little higher so you look like the confident woman that inspires so many.”

Making sure that he has finished, i respond, “of course Micheal, i love being an inspiration.'' The sound of yelling and arguing knocks Micheal out of the staring contest we were having. There is a flash of panic on his face before his face gains the normal bright smile. He rushes in the direction of the crash with a little waddle in his steps. I slightly smile watching the short man trying to fix the mess his staff has made.


 The photoshoot is quite the view. The large warehouse that hosts this photoshoot doesn't look like it would be this beautiful on the inside. The sleek modern inside is mainly white, with black accents that make the building utterly beautiful. Many of the rooms have been converted into empty rooms with cameras and a designed set. The only rooms that don't have an abundance of cameras and lights are my small dressing room with the attached bathroom and Micheal’s office. The rest of the building is open space, usually storing different sets and green screens. I've always told Micheal that his shoot is boring and needs to add some color to his life. He looked baffled and said artistic visions can be created in chaos. I completely disagree but I don't get to have a say when he provides me with the most magnificent ideas and photos i've ever seen. The sound of people resuming their chatter about the photos is my cue to get back on set. I internally groan before putting on my best smile, internally screaming. 


Shoving my key into the door, I sigh in relief that I'm finally home and can relax. My first thing i must do is change and get rid of all this makeup. I usually wear workout clothing to the photoshoots, knowing that I'm going to be forced into some costume that is most likely itchy, and would want to be comfortable before and after. Crossing the living room towards one of the pale doors, i turn the knob and am met with the dark red walls of my room. I flop onto my massive king bed, groaning at the feel of my mattress morphing under my body. The dark gray blanket is soft under my fingers and I stroke it, loving the sensation that rubs against my skin. After another five minutes of lying down, I get up and trudge to the bathroom, tripping over the small box hanging out of my closet. Turning on the lights in the bathroom,i walk over to the sink, catching my reflection before grabbing the makeup wipes i have stored under the sink. Taking one out of the package, i slowly rid myself of the fake look that is plastered onto my face. My cheekbones become less pronounced and my nose not shiny. Pulling off the eyelashes, my black eyelashes are revealed, framing my dark green eyes. Wiping the dark red color from my mouth, I reveal my light pink lips, with the slightest cupid’s bow. Finally getting all of the makeup off, i feel human. The loud banging on my door, knocks me out of making the decision to take a shower and take a nap before i have to make dinner. Looking at the clock, the bright white numbers read 2:34pm. Slowly approaching the front door, I check out the peephole but don't see anyone. Grabbing the bat i keep next to the door, i clutch it in my hand tightly. 

Taking one more deep breath, i swing the door open and keep my eyes open. Getting ready to swing, i look around but the lack of something makes me even more uneasy. Releasing a breath, i'm about to close the door when something on the ground catches my eye. There is a big white envelope lying perfectly in front of the door, and my nerves begin to skyrocket. Slowly squatting to grab the envelope, i quickly snatch it and rush back inside. Slamming the door close and lock it tight, i take a few deep breaths, feeling my entire body shake with nerves and i walk over to my kitchen island. Placing down the envelope, i slowly open it, terrified of what might be inside. Noticing the small envelope that rests atop a thick pile of what looks to be paper, i grab it and open it. Inside rests a small letter with scripted print addressed to me. 

Dear Ms. Medgar,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and good spirits. You probably do not know me but I sure do know you. Seeing what you do, how you strut around with your head held high and think you are better than everyone else. You treat your fans like trash, never paying attention to any of their problems and only care about yourself. You only leave your house to go to the spa or for photoshoots and that's about it. You're such a self centered w***e who doesn't do a damn thing for herself. And you may notice what else is in this package, well it's proof that you do nothing for anyone but yourself. So continue to enjoy your me time that is really all the time. You may never get to be that at ease again. 

Sincerely,

N


My hands are physically shaking by the time that I finish reading the letter. No, please no. My eyes land on the thick stack that currently lays on the kitchen island. The anxiety is eating me alive. Shakily, I move my hands to above the stack and try to steady my breathing. This cannot be happening. I take out the first piece of paper, the blank white blinding and disrupting my vision from my soon to be biggest fear. My breath catches in my throat, the shiny reflective of the photo being shown off the light of the kitchen. My breath catches in my throat as my world's biggest fear is created. The photo of me making dinner is clear as day in front of my eyes but i can't process it. The frame looked like it was taken in the living room staring into the kitchen. My eyes darted to the couch, the angle looking like someone was in here. Continuing to look through the photos, my heartbeat becomes even more erratic. There's pictures of me eating, cooking, working out, and just relaxing. I get to the final photo and believe it can't get any worse. But my thoughts are proved wrong when my eyes flick to the last photo, and I stop breathing. There, sitting in front of me, is a shiny photo of me sleeping. 


My breathing is ragged. My heartbeat is in my ears and I suddenly become aware of every single sound in this house. The slight creak in the floorboards has me frantically looking around to make sure no one is here. Take deep breaths Ameerah, the door is locked, no one can get in without a key. The creaking sounds again and I've had enough. I grab my phone from my room and click on the green contact that I have on top. The dial doesn't go past the third ring when she picks up. “Sage? Can you come over?”




© 2024 Ashen May


Author's Note

Ashen May
What do you think? Don’t sugar coat anything.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I LOVE IT!! You did a great job writing.

Posted 2 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 8, 2024
Last Updated on March 8, 2024


Author

Ashen May
Ashen May

Lancaster, PA



Writing
Fear Fear

A Story by Ashen May