Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Asher-lee

Dante and Cyrus walked along the windy dirt road in silence, the surrounding forest created an unusually minimal amount of noise.

 

"So," Dante started, "Where exactly are we going, Cyrus?"

 

"It's a very old temple tucked into the side of a mountain up here." Cyrus answered in an excited tone.

 

Dante smiled slightly, then decided that he didn't want to travel the entire way in silence. "How old?"

 

Cyrus turned to look at Dante with a grin, "Almost as old as the Organization itself!" Cyrus was obviously very enthusiastic about all of this. "It hasn't been here nearly as long as people like us have been, no. But about the time the Organization was first assembled-mid 15th century or so- other people, normal humans I mean, that believed in the supernatural and the demonic and whatnot banded together as well. The monks that live in this temple are of the same beliefs as these people were. Their mission is the same as ours, to protect mankind from the likes of Enma-to act as a veil between our two worlds. But..."

 

Dante arched an eyebrow, "Hm?"

 

Cyrus gazed down at the dirt road, "They believe in protecting mankind from anything supernatural, that includes people like you and me because of our abilities. They battle with abilities as well, but they believe their 'creator' bestowed these abilities onto them for that purpose."

 

"So," Dante started, "To us, we're just as bad as Enma because they think our abilities aren't as 'holy' or 'righteous' as theirs?"

 

"No, they don't believe we're as bad as Enma, most of them don't at least. They just think that we shouldn't be allowed to battle Enma because they think our abilities are generated the same way his are." Cyrus paused, obviously trying to think of a better way to explain. "They believe the right to eliminate beings like Enma is theirs, and to them we are beings 'like Enma' so we shouldn't have the right to fight against him and claim to be doing good." Cyrus rubbed his forehead, "This is harder to explain than I thought."

 

"No, no," Dante said evenly, "I understand what you're trying to say." His eyebrows furrowed a little, "They sound like a bunch of snobs to me though." Dante thought to himself with a sneer.

 

Cyrus couldn't help but hold his stomach and laugh, obviously listening in on Dante's thoughts.

"Jeez" Dante said with a bored tone, "Don't you ever turn that off?"

 

Cyrus wiped a small tear from his eye, "I wish I could, but I can't. Either that or I just haven't figured out how to turn it off yet. Besides, do you think I enjoy hearing other people's thoughts all the time?" He teased, "You'd be surprised at the things that are running through some people's minds. They're saying one thing, but then something totally different is going on in their mind. But, when it comes down to it, some things really are better left unsaid, but that doesn't really make a difference with me." Cyrus giggled again.

---------------

Jett paced back and forth down the hallway while Evelyn sat quietly in a chair with her hands folded on her lap; they had rushed Annette to the Organizations Medical Ward the moment other agents had shown up on the scene. Jett now walked down the hall with his back turned to Evelyn, he then turned to the wall and stared at it. Without warning, Jett slammed his right fist into the wall, “You knew this was coming, Evelyn, damnit! Why couldn’t you have warned us? We could have taken care of her sooner, and Annette wouldn’t be…she wouldn’t have…” Jett removed his trembling fist from the dent he had made in the wall. He didn’t dare say it, he didn’t want to say it; he didn’t want to admit. In his mind, if he didn’t say it out loud, maybe, just maybe it wouldn’t be true.

The two sat in silence, Jett forced himself to stop trembling, but his breathing was still a little erratic.

“There was no other way,” Evelyn’s quiet voice shattered the silence.

“You don’t know that,” Jett spit back at her, “We could have handled it before it ever got to this point.”

“Annette was the only one that could have stopped her,” Evelyn replied in her even tone. Her pale silver eyes looked down at the floor as if in a trance.

“At what cost?!” Jett turned his head to glare at Evelyn, “Who are you to decide her fate?”

Evelyn continued to stare at the floor, but kept quiet. Jett stormed up to her side, “Who are you to decide who gets sacrificed?! Annette could be dying right now because of a choice you made for her! You get to go on living because you let her take the fall for this, you-“

 “If I recall, Jett,” Evelyn’s hushed voice somehow interrupted Jett, and made him silent, “”You were the one that pursued Annette that night at the concert. You were the one that dragged her into the Organization, and you were the one that threw her into our world.”

Jett sat quiet, dumbfounded, just staring at Evelyn. Jett turned on his heel and stormed off down the hall before the thought could invade his mine. “I-I,” he thought to himself as he turned the corner out of Evelyn’s sight, “I-I...” he started jogging, then he began to run, “I did.” The thought he didn’t want to think. “It was me; this was all-“Jett ran faster. The few people in the Ward stared at him, while others moved closer to the wall to avoid him. Once he was out of the building all together, he began to shadow sprint, “It’s my fault…”

----------------

“Woah…” Dante stood with Cyrus looking up at the huge Temple, and then his eyes trailed down the stairs that led up to it.

“I know,” Cyrus sighed, “I don’t want to climb that either, but it’s all for the sake of information, valuable information!” Cyrus balled his right hand into a fist a held it up to his face confidently.

Dante scoffed, “I don’t know about you, but I’m not climbing any stairs. Sensors travel in style.” Dante began to levitate himself off the ground.

Cyrus placed his hands on his hips and glared at Dante, “I always believed that that power evolved from laziness. You Sensors never want to do anything the hard way, ‘No, I don’t think I’ll take the stairs, I’m too important to take stairs-‘”

Dante sighed and rolled his eyes, then grabbed Cyrus by the hand while he was ranting. Cyrus gasped and then quickly shut up causing Dante to smirk before he flew towards the Temple at full speed. 

Cyrus shrieked a little and used his other hand to grab onto the arm that Dante was using to hold him. Dante peered at him out of the corner of his eye, but then faced forward once more in time to come to a stop just before the Temple doors.

Dante levitated for a moment to let Cyrus touch the floor slowly, and then he let himself down next to him. “Now see, lazy or not, you know that was better than actually walking up all those stairs.” Dante looked down when Cyrus didn’t answer, and looked at him clinging onto his arm with both hands trembling slightly.

“Uh,” Dante sat there, “You alright?”

Cyrus felt his cheeks warm up and he quickly let go of Dante’s arm, “Of c-course I am!” he waved his arms anxiously, “Let’s go, let’s go!” Cyrus pushed open the doors and hurried in, hoping Dante hadn’t seen his crimson face.

Dante sat outside for a moment after Cyrus had disappeared into the Temple; he smiled to himself slightly, and then proceeded into the Temple.

Dante looked to see Cyrus standing before a tall man with dark brown hair cut short, and a long white robe that floated down to the floor. Dante walked up next to Cyrus, the man didn’t even look up to acknowledge that he was there. Cyrus bowed before the man, “Please,” he addressed the man, but stopped to yank at Dante’s sleeve. Dante rolled his eyes, but then followed suit and bowed. Cyrus continued, “We’ve come a long way in search of information, information that we’ve been told can be found here. We’d be extremely grateful if you’d allow us the privilege to search your archives.”

Dante almost laughed, “Kiss-a*s,” he thought to himself.

“Rise,” the man’s voice was deep, commanding, but at the same time, soft and inviting. Dante and Cyrus rose, and Dante got a better look at the man.

He looked to be in his late forties, he had dark brown eyes; and even though his body was completely cloaked in white cloth, Dante could tell that he was far from weak. His facial features were strong, and his exposed hands were large. This alarmed Dante, this ‘holy man’ didn’t just preach and give sermons, and Dante could feel a power in him.

“What kind of information is it that you seek, son?” The man’s facial expression was like stone.

“My mother,” Cyrus spoke, “She’s horribly ill. The sickness came upon her right after…” Cyrus paused and swallowed like he was nervous, “Right after, He attacked our village.”

Dante had to admit, Cyrus was very convincing, and his face expressed perfect agony. “Damn good liar,” he thought to himself.

The man’s face softened, and he draped one arm over Cyrus’ shoulder. “Dear, boy. I’m terribly sorry.”

Cyrus smiled slightly, “The priest at our temple, he told us to come here. He said you could help us, we don’t have much time. We’ve spent 5 days walking here, and we don’t know how long mother can hold on.” Cyrus’ smile now faded.

Dante held his breath, “Damn. This really might work.”

The man nodded, “Yes, we can. This way,” he extended his hand towards a hall. He led the two to a pair of large doors. “Our library is here, I can’t stay, but you can handle it yourself right?”

Cyrus nodded, “Yes. Our priest told us exactly what to look for. Thank you so much.” He smiled up at the man.

The man returned his smile, took one last glance at Dante, then left down the dark hall.

Dante pushed open the doors, let Cyrus in first, and then quickly closed the door once he got himself in. He burst into laughter, “Oh my god! I can’t believe that they bought that!” Dante slapped his knee, “We don’t know how long mother can hang on,” he imitated Cyrus, and then wrapped his arms around his stomach a laughed harder.

Cyrus’ eyebrow twitched in anger, “I got us in here, didn’t I? And don’t think I didn’t hear that ‘Kiss-a*s’ comment.” He pushed the sleeves of his shirt up to his elbow.

Dante straightened up and wiped some tears from his eyes, “What? Are you going to do something about it?” He put on a cocky smile.

Cyrus exhaled through his nose in anger, and glared at Dante. Dante simply waved his hand towards himself, egging Cyrus on.

Cyrus snarled and lunged at Dante, who simply stuck his hand out palm forward.

Cyrus’ head rammed into Dante’s waiting palm, forcing him to stop dead in his tracks. He flung his arms to try and hit Dante, but to no avail, he could in no way reach him.

“Damn you and your long arms, Dante!” Cyrus yelled in frustration.   

Dante threw his head back and laughed again, “One day, you’ll be big and strong like me too, pipsqueak.”

Cyrus pulled back, and exhaled through his nose again. “Who are you calling pipsqueak?!” He yelled, “I’m two years older than you!” He waved two fingers in front of Dante’s face, “Count ‘em, TWO!”

Dante smirked, grabbed his hand, and bent down to make his face level with Cyrus’, “You’re still a pipsqueak.”

Cyrus gasped a little being caught off guard with Dante’s face being so close. He spun around, yanking his hand from Dante’s hold, “Well, we might as well not waste the whole day.” He looked at the towering bookcases and the thousands of books.

Dante smiled a little, “Just when things were getting fun,” he thought to himself. Cyrus, obviously listening, coughed awkwardly and pulled his sleeves back down his arm. “Let’s get to work!” he threw one arm up in the air confidently.

------------------------

 Jett raised his glass, “Another,” he placed it back on the tray the waiter held up for him.

He stared groggily at the glasses that were collected in front of him on the bar. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He rubbed his forehead then rested his face in the palm of his hand.

“It is my fault,” he thought to himself. “I just had to chase her that night. I should have known better than to drag anyone else into this.”

“Sir,” a waiter walked up and placed the drink Jett requested onto the bar.

Jett dropped his hand from his face and took hold of the glass. He swirled the alcohol inside the glass and stared at it for a couple seconds. He then raised the glass, “Here’s to forgetting,” and he downed the beverage in one go. “For now, at least.” He mumbled after he swallowed. He looked up at the clock hanging on the wall. 7a.m. 

He sat on the stool, hunched over the bar, he hadn’t moved in about an hour, ever since he first walked into the bar hoping to find a cure for his depression in multiple glasses.

He felt the presence of someone next to him, and instantly held out his empty glass, “Another.” He felt the glass removed from his hand, and then he place his head in his hand once more.

“Enough, Jett.” He turned his chair to see Evelyn holding his glass.

He sneered and then swiveled back around in his chair; he didn’t have the strength or the desire to say anything to her.

“The doctor wants to see us Jett,” Evelyn said quietly.

Jett swiveled back in his chair quickly and looked into her silver eyes. He waited until the words slowly made their way into his brain, and then jumped out of the chair; threw some money onto the bar and ran out of the bar.

------------------------------

Jett rounded the corner and raced down towards the first doctor he saw. “How is she??” He nearly ran into the doctor, startling the man.

“Uh-uh?” He stuttered with a confused expression. 

“Annette!” Jett shouted with a frenzied look.

“Oh,” the man swallowed and nervously read a paper on the clipboard he was holding.

“Right,” the man’s nervousness disappeared, “She was hit on her right leg, about mid thigh. The hit caused her nervous system to go into shock. When she first arrived she was nonresponsive, in a coma like state, but that faded soon and we were able to stabilize her. There was no damage to her nervous system, thankfully, so she will heal and be able to get around fine in a few weeks. There were some minor fractures on the bone that was hit by the initial blast, but those will heal fine. We’ve bandaged her up, and prescribed some pain killers and antibiotics, as well as some medicine for her nervous system-as a precaution. She’ll need someone to stay at home with her in case her nervous system goes into shock again, but we doubt that’ll happen, what with the medicine and all.”

Jett nodded, “I’ll be home.”

“Right,” the doctor nodded back,” You are...Jett?”

Jett cocked an eyebrow, “Yeah.”

“Mm, Annette woke up awhile ago. Your friend visited her, and then Annette asked specifically for you. The girl, Evelyn, left to find you then, I guess.”

Jett walked around the doctor, “Thanks,” he huffed as he opened the door to Annette’s room. He nearly dropped with relief when he saw her sitting up in bed smiling over at him, like she had been waiting for him.

“What did I miss?” she asked with a sheepish smile.

Jett closed the door behind him, and then rushed over to her bedside and wrapped his arms around her. Annette’s eyes went wide from the surprise, “Uh…”

Jett buried his face into her neck and twisted his hand into her hair, a sigh escaped his lips.

“Jett?” Annette spoke with a confused tone.

Jett didn’t answer, but kept his same hold on her. “Jett…” Annette began to whine.

He sighed, slightly annoyed. “I thought I lost you,” he whispered. 

“I can tell…” Annette started, “You reek- you’ve been drinking again, haven’t you?”

 Jett sighed once more, but let go of her this time, and took a seat on the bed next to her. He put his face in his hand again, and rubbed his forehead.

“Jett,” Annette whined, “You know doing that doesn’t help anything. You only hurt yourself when you do that.”

“Don’t I deserve it!” he yelled suddenly, making Annette jump slightly. He dropped his hand from his face and turned to glare at her.

“Wha-what?” she asked.

“It’s my fault!” he continued shouting, “I brought you into all of this. I put you out there to get hurt. Why shouldn’t I hurt as much as I’ve hurt you!” he looked away from her and began to rub his forehead once more.

Annette sighed sadly, “Jett…” she spoke softly this time and put her hand on top of the hand he had on his forehead. “It’s not your fau-“

He placed his other hand on top of hers’, sandwiching her hand between both of his. He took their hands down from his forehead and laid them on his knee.

“It is,” his voice was a whisper this time. “That night, we were just looking for that guy. Just him.” His grip on her hand tightened slightly. “It was a great thing that we found a Sensor that night as well, but it just had to be you. Out of all the people in the world, it had to be you.” He stared at their hands sadly.

Annette placed her other hand on top of his, he looked up to see her smiling at him. “You really are drunk Jett. You’re talking crazy.”

He smiled slightly as well, “You’re no one to talk; you’re probably high on pain meds right now.”

After a moment of silence, Annette spoke again, “Don’t blame yourself, and don’t blame Evelyn. If this was anyone’s fault, it was Enma’s. It was no one’s fault that I was born with my weird immunity.” Her smile grew wider, but Jett’s faded.

He dropped their hands and stood up, “Evelyn knew this was coming,” he started pacing the room, and Annette sighed. “She knew Amber was going to do this long before Amber knew herself!”

“Jett...” Annette warned.

Jett continued like he hadn’t heard her, “Sure, it was my fault for dragging you into the Organization, but Evelyn probably saw that coming too! I think she gets a kick out of sitting on the sidelines watching this unfold. Like a twisted TV show!”

“Jett.” Annette spoke with a stern voice, she was getting really angry.

“She can’t fight or protect herself; we do all of that and what does she do in return? Not offer a heads up or anything! She just sits by and watches us struggle with the unpredictable future!”

“Jett, stop it!” Annette spoke loudly.

Jett stopped pacing and looked at her, “You’re right, I should stop it. We don’t need Evelyn on our team! All she’s doing is making things harder! I’ll fix that!” Jett walked towards the door and reached for the handle.

“Stop!” Annette shut her eyes in anger as she shouted at the top of her lungs.

Everything went silent, and she didn’t hear the door open. She lifted her eyelids; Jett was standing still with his hand wrapped around the doorknob.

“Jett…” Annette said. Nothing-he didn’t answer, or move, or anything. Annette looked at the clock over on the wall, the seconds hand was frozen.

“Uhh...” Annette stared at the clock dumbfounded, “What the he-“

---------------------

“Here it is!” Cyrus shouted. He was sitting on the floor cross legged with a large book in his lap. His eyes scanned the pages quickly. With each line, his eyes grew wider and his breathing became uneven.

“No way,” he thought to himself. “Enma can’t be-he isn’t!” He squinted his eyes and reread everything, praying he had read something wrong. “Enma is a…”

“What did you find?” Dante crouched behind him to read over his shoulder.

“Whaaa!” Cyrus flailed his arms and quickly shut the book. “Oh, nothing.” He laughed awkwardly as he sprang up and placed the book back on the shelf.

Dante cocked an eyebrow in disbelief, and stood up, “You sure?”

Cyrus smiled and rubbed the back of his head, “Yeah, yeah. I feel so embarrassed, I thought I found something but I read the title wrong so it was completely irrelevant.”

“Okay…” Dante still sounded skeptical.

Cyrus grabbed Dante’s hand, “Time to go, what we’re looking for isn’t here!” And he dragged Dante out of the library. The man from before was at the entrance to the Temple once more.

He smiled at the pair, “Did you find what you were looking for, boys?”

“Yeah, yeah!” Cyrus shouted as he made his way with Dante towards the door, “Thank you so much! We need to hurry back now; goodness knows how much time we have left.”

Cyrus bowed quickly then opened the door. “You’re welcome,” the man shouted at the two, “I hope your mother feels better!”

“Thanks!” Cyrus shouted as he yanked Dante out the door and shut it.

“What’s the hurry?” Dante pulled his hand from Cyrus’ hold.

Cyrus flailed his arms, “I-I, I really gotta go!”

Dante dropped his head with a sigh, “Are you kidding me?”

Cyrus grabbed Dante’s arm with both hands, “No, no! I’m serious! We have to get back to headquarters! Come on! Fly, fly!” Cyrus shook Dante’s arm.

“Go find a tree or something.” Dante sneered and rolled his eyes.

Cyrus stopped shaking his arm and stomped his foot. “No,” he said sternly. “We have to go now.”

Dante decided not to argue, he sighed again before untangling his arm from Cyrus’ hold. He wrapped his arm around Cyrus’ waist before levitating slowly into the air and then taking off at full speed.

As they sped through the sky Cyrus couldn’t help but let his mind wander, “It can’t be true, but it makes perfect sense. How is the Organization going to handle this? Did they even know about this? Have they been hiding this from us? They couldn’t have known, hiding something like this from us would only endanger everyone even more.” Cyrus argued with the possibilities to the point that he began to feel sick.

Dante took glances at Cyrus every once in awhile, he couldn’t say for sure what it was, but he knew Cyrus had found something in that book. Something big. But he decided that Cyrus probably had his reasons for not telling Dante, so he didn’t say anything.

Still…whatever it was, he would have to find out sometime



© 2009 Asher-lee


Author's Note

Asher-lee
<3 Comments, reviews, etc.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on November 21, 2009


Author

Asher-lee
Asher-lee

CA



About
Long ago, when senior year was but a dream to me, I wrote stories for myself. They were nice, but nothing amazing. But the important thing was that I was happy with them and it was then that I co.. more..

Writing
Sensor Sensor

A Book by Asher-lee


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Asher-lee


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Asher-lee