Learning from Mistakes

Learning from Mistakes

A Screenplay by Victor Cartel
"

A project for Creative Writing, but I switched what I wanted to write about last minute to my stage play, Moral Values. This will never be finished.

"

LEARNING FROM MISTAKES

 

Scene 1

                Takes place in a coffee shop.  TYRAN and WILLOW [both freshman in college] are sitting on opposite ends of the table. They’re sitting in silence, just people watching, until TYRAN speaks his first line.  TYRAN’S jacket it placed on the back of his chair.  WILLOW is wearing hers.  Throughout their conversation they occasionally take sips from their coffee cups.  Camera angled so that you can see them horizontally in the shot like so [Note for Director �" consider the body language I have suggested in the picture when placing actors]:



Unless otherwise specified, place camera angle on TYRAN’S right shoulder when WILLOW speaks and on WILLOW’s left shoulder when TYRAN speaks.

 

TYRAN: [Joyously, yet bored/bored with a smile on his face] It’s getting so cold lately… Winter’s right around the corner.

 

WILLOW: [not paying much attention to TYRAN; bored/distracted/distant �" looking out the window] …mm-hmm…

 

TYRAN: Willow, is something on your mind?  You’ve been like this for a few weeks now…

 

WILLOW: Don’t worry about it.  It’s nothing.

 

TYRAN: If it’s bothering you this bad, for this long, it has to be something.

 

WILLOW: It’s nothing important, at least.

 

TYRAN: If it’s this important to you, to be sulking for such a long while, it’s important to me too.

 

They sit in silence for a few moments while WILLOW nonchalantly drinks her coffee to avoid conversation.  During this silence, camera angles itself up on TYRAN from the corner of the table closest to WILLOW [away from window] for a few seconds, then a mirrored effect for the same amount of time on WILLOW, then add dialogue and old camera angles from now on.

 

TYRAN: Please tell me.

 

WILLOW: [She sighs and crosses her arms, making eye contact with TYRAN now] Let me put it like this… Tyran, how many girls have you dated besides me?

 

TYRAN: None.  You’re my first girlfriend.

 

WILLOW: Exactly.  So how do I know you even mean it when you tell me you love me if you have nothing to compare your feelings for me to?

 

TYRAN: Love isn’t about comparisons…it’s about caring deeply for a person.

 

WILLOW: Yes, but how do you know that?  The only person you’ve had an experience with is me.  Saying you know what love is if you haven’t experienced other…how do I put this…versions of it?

 

TYRAN: [He chuckles nervously] I-I don’t understand what you’re getting at, Willow…

 

WILLOW: It’s nothing… nothing important, Tyran. [She resumes her old position and continues looking out window]

 

While WILLOW looks out the window beside her, she is distracted and/or sad and almost instantly after she looks away, TYRAN leans forward, putting his hands to the table for effect with a serious look.  Introduction song starts to play [“The Distraction” by Angels and Airwaves].

 

TYRAN: It’s important, Willow.  Tell me what you mean.

 

WILLOW: I don’t wanna talk about it Tyran.

 

TYRAN: Please.

 

WILLOW: [holds her coffee cup with both hands and looks at it] Look…I…I don’t exactly want to do this but… [she looks up at TYRAN] until you can prove to me that you love me and only me, and that you understand as best as you can what love is, I don’t think we can really…be…

 

TYRAN: What…?

 

WILLOW: I think we need to “take a break” for a while.  You know, see other people.  If we find our way back to each other after that all it means is…well, that it’s fate for us to be together.

 

                The two are silent for a while, and camera angles switch between the two back and forth.  Make TYRAN show mixed emotions.  Eventually gets sick of it and stands up, puts on his jacket, grabs his coffee and walks out.  Fade out as lyrics/singing begins and fade into montage for opening credits.  During montage: Follow TYRAN all the way back to his apartment.  Switch back and forth between him and WILLOW as she gets up and leaves coffee shop.  End montage with them turning out the lights to go to sleep.

 

END OF SCENE ONE


Because I never plan to finish this, here's what my plans for this show were:

Willow bumps into another guy, Markus, and end up dating him for a while.  Next scene: She's really happy with him, but keeps considering her ex and wonders if she should try to get back in contact with Tyran.  She makes a phone call to an old friend to see if she can get Tyran's number, but at last minute decides against it and fakes she got the wrong number.  Hangs up the phone.  Next scene: Time fast forwards and Markus asks Willow to marry him.  Willow says yes.  Next scene: Willow goes through an old photo album and see pictures of her ex and her and begins crying, feeling bad and hoping that she didn't ruin his life.  Next scene: Willow goes out in the snow to her mailbox and sees a Christmas card.  It's from Tyran, and says "Thank you for all you've done for me.  If you didn't care enough for me to let me go, I'd never have the life I have now with my wonderful wife and twins on the way.  I'm glad to have met such a graceful woman as you.  Don't you ever doubt your decision; like they say, better to hate me now and thank me later.  It rang so true!  Yours Truly, Tyran."  END.

© 2011 Victor Cartel


Author's Note

Victor Cartel
I never plan to finish this...just so ya know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on February 27, 2011
Last Updated on February 27, 2011

Author

Victor Cartel
Victor Cartel

Westminster, CO



About
Check the about me page on my website, Ashira's Notebook, for an extensive survey about myself. more..

Writing
4/1/13 4/1/13

A Chapter by Victor Cartel


4/2/13 4/2/13

A Chapter by Victor Cartel


4/3/13 4/3/13

A Chapter by Victor Cartel