Beginning

Beginning

A Chapter by Asilem



 I never knew that mythical creatures really existed. The world I lived in was void of the magic that seemed to only be in movies and books. I would never had thought that that the realm of mystery and magic would soon be my reality. I also never anticipated that I wouldn't have been in contact with the good side of that world, but with the dark and dangerous one.

 

My journey began when my parents died. I was sent to live with my grandmother, whom I had never met. She picked me up at the Dallas airport. I was supposed to meet her at the kiss n' ride out front where all he taxis were. I had been told to look for a green pick up. I stood on the side walk, my bag sliding down my shoulder and my hand tightly gripping the handle on my black suitcase as I stood on tips of my toes looking for the vehicle. When I saw it drive up, I moved toward the curb, but was soon frozen in place, my eyes glued to the thin and wiry woman walking toward me. She had the upper part of her body leaning forward, her head leading the way, and her arms were held out like she was some sort of gun slinger on a western TV show.

 

I had to catch myself before my jaw dropped open in wonder and surprise. She stopped before me, giving me a good look over, apparently deciding that I was her granddaughter, because she took my suitcase with deft hands. She didn't say anything as she wheeled my suitcase to the bed of the truck, and hefting it inside. Then she walked around the truck and climbed in the driver's seat. I quickly followed, scrambling into the passenger seat. She drove out onto the main road as I fastened my seat belt.

 

It was silent as she drove us out of town, riding along the highway. The buildings became smaller and smaller as we drove away from the city, until finally there was nothing at all, just desert. When we exited onto a two lane road, I finally had just enough courage to dare to say something.

 

"So," I said. "how long will it take for us to get there?"

 

"Couple hours." Her voice was low and gravelly, which didn't really surprise me that much. It matched her appearance. Rough and tough.

 

"Oh." And that was the end of the conversation.

 

Finally I saw some buildings and houses scattered here and there, until we drove through what looked like a town you'd find in Gunsmoke, but much, much smaller.

 

She startled me by saying, "Here's Penelope... and there it was."

 

We'd only passed a few businesses. "Are you kidding me?"

 

She cast a sideways at me. "Nope."

 

I groaned in misery and slouched back in my seat.

 

"School's down that way."

 

I looked out the window and saw a dirt road, with a big brick building. The sign post in front of it read, Penelope School.

 

"One school?"

 

"Elementary, Junior, and Senior. All in the same building."

 

"Great." I said, lying through my clenched jaw. "When will I start?"

 

"Tomorrow."

 

"So soon?"

 

"Tomorrow's Monday."

 

"Oh, right." I sighed.

 

We turned onto a long dirt road, and went past achors of farm land, when eventually I spotted a white Victorian house with a wrap around porch. The truck rolled to a stop and the engine was cut off. Grandmother hopped out and I followed, stumbling and nearly falling flat on my face before I caught hold of the door handle. Having noticed that Grandmother had been watching from the top of the steps on the porch while I made a fool of myself, I gathered what little was left of my dignity and shut the door gently before grabbing my suitcase out of the bed.

 

She had continued inside while I trudged up the old wooden steps. The door was open behind the rusted and worn screen door. I leaned forward to get a peek inside before entering. Straight across from the front door was a staircase that wound up and did a U-turn to the next floor. To my left was what I guessed was the living room. It was hard to find anything in there except the flat screen that wasn't old. The couch had holes and stains, and the tables had scratches and could use a good coat of paint. It looked like a home.

 

I wasn't surprised to see a black cat curled on the window sill. I almost didn't notice it, but it's tale was waving back and forth. I approached it slowly. The cat's head lifted and turned it's yellowish eyes at me. I held my hand out for it to sniff. It's soft little black nose brushed against my finger as it smelled me. Apparently it decided that I wasn't a threat, because they placed their head against my palm. I stroked it's head with my fingers. It started to purr and I smiled softly to myself. The first smile that has bestowed my face since before my parents had died.

 

A few minutes later I followed my nose and found myself in the kitchen. There were roosters on everything you could possibly think of that came in rooster theme. The plastic table cloth had roosters dotted in random places, the napkins cluttered with them. I stared around the room, frozen aghast.

 

I blinked a few times to revive myself from the frozen shock. I noticed that Grandmother was stirring a big Crock Pot she had plugged into the wall. I took a whiff and my stomach grumbled. I hadn't eaten in days and it smelt delicious.

 

"Did you find your room?" she asked, replacing the lid on the pot and rinsing the spoon in the sink.

 

"Oh, no," I said, "but I found your cat."

 

"That's shadow. He didn't try to scratch your eyes out, did he? He's not too friendly to new people."

 

"No, he seemed fine to me... May I sit down?" I guestered to the table.

 

"You should go unpack. Lunch is almost ready. After that we gotta go open the store."

 

"The store?"

 

"I own the one and only convenient store in town. Everyone goes there," she explained. "You're room is the last one down the hall up stairs. Directly above us. Now go."

 

She shooed me away. I went back the way I came to the main entry, grabbed my suitcase and bag and made my way up the stairs, following her directions.

 

I hated the room. The color was all wrong. Pink. It looked like Peptobismol had thrown up on everything. It shouted Fairy Princess. Yuck. I'm Emo/Goth, not a girlie-girl. Good thing I had brought all my posters from the walls in my room at home I'd gotten from various teen magazines. They had served three purposes. The first one was to cover up the horrible wallpaper that had printed pink flowers and bows on it. The second was to make the room more personalized. The last one is kind of private. I had put the posters up so that I wouldn't feel so alone.

 

My dad had been away on business during the period of my life which is known as my childhood. So you would think that my mother and I would have been close, but we weren't. She was always out with her friends, doing one thing or another. Or out with her boyfriend. Dad had only found out recently. In fact, that's what they were arguing about when---

 

No, I thought. My head started to shake, as if to rid my thoughts of that painful and terrifying experience.

 

Anyway, the posters gave me someone to talk to. They were the best listeners.

 

My suitcase landed on the frilly white lace bed with a soft thud. I unzipped it and began unpacking. I'd save the posters for later.

 

When I had emptied the bag, I left the room, having it look as if nothing had been touched---the suitacse under the bed, hidden by the bed curtains, the drawers and closet door closed. The only sign that I had been there were the pile of folded posters peeking out from under my pillow.

 

After we had eaten (the best chili I had ever had), we climbed back into the truck, and drove to the store. It was one of the businesses we had went by when we passed through town. We parallel parked in front and got out. As she unlocked the doors, I looked at the sign above it that read Mom and Pop's Convenient Shop.

 

I walked inside with her. It was one of those stores you see in movies when the hero or heroine is out in the middle of no where and they need food. I thought it was kind of cute.

 

"You don't have a problem with workin', do you?" Grandmother asked.

 

"Will I get paid?"

 

"Minimum wage."

 

I shrugged. "I'll take what I can get."

 

"You'll work after school for a few hours each day."

 

"Fine." I began wondering down the aisles looking at what's for sale.

 

There was a sudden ding dong. I knew that it meant someone had entered the store. I stood up on tip toe to see who it was over the shelves, and my eyes widened at the sight. It was a guy. But the most the most handsome guy I'd ever seen. He had cropped raven black hair, and flawless tan skin. He was tall, too. He looked like an angel, absolutely took my breath away. I almost expected him to sprout six foot wide angel wings from his back, but of course, he didn't.

 

Instead, he aimed the .32 Caliber Bretta Tomcat at my grandmother who was behind the cashier counter.



© 2013 Asilem


Author's Note

Asilem
Thoughts? I know this is like, the 15th book I've started, but... oh well.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very good beginning to the story. I like the feel of real life and good conversations. You left me with a open ending. Strong character and a interesting story so far. Thank you for sharing the opening chapter. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Dun dun dun....!
I love this start :D I don't know what else to say, can't wait for more :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OH S**T!
i love it please please please please continue!!!!!!!!!!!!
does he fall in love with her?!
XD !!! SO EXCITED!!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good beginning to the story. I like the feel of real life and good conversations. You left me with a open ending. Strong character and a interesting story so far. Thank you for sharing the opening chapter. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 23, 2013
Last Updated on February 26, 2013
Tags: suspense, teen, drama, orphan, love, new life


Author

Asilem
Asilem

Washinton DC, DC



About
all about me!!Created by cutiepie656 and taken 13227 times on Bzoink*Basics*name: Asilem birthday: 3/20/98 zodiac sign: Picses where were you born: Virginia where do you live now: Virginia height: 5'7.. more..

Writing