DeathBed

DeathBed

A Chapter by AmIMe?

He will not let go tonight.

The world burns around him.

The wind found its way inside the room through the crack in the window, singing an ominous tune in its path. A chill went down his spine as the cold air touched him. He ignored it, and kept the hold of his gaze, like looking directly into her eyes will heal the pain. Like this stare will do the miracle the medicines couldnt. But he doesnt care about that right now. With all the love he could muster he looked right into her eyes.

52 years is a long time if you see it that way, Almost a lifetime. He stood right beside her for all those years and he is not giving up tonight.

The world burns around him.

Just a few days after their 50th anniversary they found about the disease. The test report fell down on them like wrath of hell. He knew from the day one that it is going to be a tough war. He knew he was not financially able to go through this, but the reputation he built over years of service in local school might help him in the fight. The locals of the city may pitch in for the treatment. Some pieces may fall in place. He may just win. He may just carry her through this, kicking and screaming, like he always does.

But none of that happened and now his hope was wearing thin.

The world burns around him.

His mind wandered off to the good times they spent together, all the good memories. The nights and days. The joy and pain. They've been toghether through all. A weary smile floated on his lips. He killed this drop of happiness, like he was afraid of it. And returned to the present.

The world burns around him.

He can see her ashen and pale skin, her quivering lips, eyes without light. These signs of weakness were killing him from the inside. She was growing weak by the moment, like every heartbeat was ticking through the countdown. A duel going on. He knew she was giving up. But he is not.

The world burns around him.

They were a team. Them against the world. An army of two. Fueled by their love in this war. But cancer is no weak enemy in itself. He didnt know it will take much more than love to beat cancer. They needed money. They needed support. But tonight he needed time.

The world burns around him.

He never thought that time might be of this much importance. 8 more hours to go. Then the curfew will be lifted. Then he might take her to the hospital and the doctors can have a look at her. 8 hours and counting down.

The world burns around him.

The riots started three days ago. Over some religious issue he couldnt care less about. Spreading like a wildfire, consuming whole city in three days. Engulfing everything in its path. Setting fire to everything it touched.The mob burned down temples and mosques alike. The government had to impose marhsall law a day ago. Thats when things started getting out of hand.

The world burns around him.

A day ago her condition started worsening. Her skin was burning like a furnace. Fever increasing by the minute. Wheezy breaths. And nothing he could do to help her. With no medicines stocked it was impossible to do anything to make her feel better.

The world burns around him.

He soaked a rag in cold water and replaced the one which was present on her forehead. Not letting go of the gaze for a single second. Afraid that something will happen if he looks elsewhere. The shouts outside were echoing inside the room. But the shouts inside his head were of much more strength. He was screaming inside, crying, what was his fault in all this. What did he do to deserve this. Her angel of a wife was suffering and he was helpless. No man should go through the times he was facing right now. No man should ever has to watch his love die.

The world burns around him.

The world may go to hell. He doesnt care if the kingdom comes tonight. He was not getting up from this deathbed. She is not dying tonight, he will not allow it. He will fight death with his bare hands if he has to. He will fight.

But he is tired now, his age is taking its toll. The darkness was rushing around them, silence was spreading around the bed. He struggled at first, shook his head. Fought a little, but the darkeness was comforting. Like a mother singing a lullaby, the darkness was soft and tranquil. All the sounds were subsiding. Just for a moment he thought, if he closes his eyes, it will help.

NO.

He will not close his eyes, he will not let go.

But again the darkness hummed sweet tunes in his ears, brought back all the memories. Of him and his love together. He welcomed it. Happiness.
A strange relief flowing in his body. With his weak hands he reached out for her hand and held it. Extending the darkness towards her. The touch was magical. The same strange relief reflected on her face too. A hint of smile on her face filled him with joy.

Seeing this he called for the darkness. And darkness, like an obedient servant to its master, came from everywhere. Releaving him from his fatigue. Healing the pain of her wife. He was happy for the first time in two years. He let himself be one with it. Felt a joy in it.

She closed her eyes.

He closed his eyes too, letting it flow through his veins, faster, more stronger than blood.

Darkness everywhere. But not between them.



Next day, locals found too dead bodies inside the room. An eerie smile on their faces.


© 2014 AmIMe?


Author's Note

AmIMe?
My first work.. this is.
Please point out any mistakes.
Feel free to give suggestions.
Be as hard as you can. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on December 11, 2014
Last Updated on December 11, 2014


Author

AmIMe?
AmIMe?

Ujjain, Ujjain, India



About
The display name says it all more..

Writing