An Audience with the Queen of Thorns

An Audience with the Queen of Thorns

A Story by Aurafiex
"

A knight encounters the Queen of Thorns.

"

As you hang from the jaws of a massive serpent made from living vines, you catch sight of a feminine figure with four pointy ears and long red hair walking into view.


“Oh, hello! I didn’t know you were there!”

She smiles, apparently pleased by your presence, before glaring at the behemoth holding you within its maw.


“Alright, let him go, Mandragora! Can’t you see that he’s had enough? Yes, I know fully well that’s a human! Where are your manners, you lumbering oaf? Let. Him. Go.”


The creature relaxes its grip on you, causing your body to fall to the ground with a thud. It still glares and hisses at you, intending to finish the job it started, but unable to do so at his mistress’s command. Hissing angrily, it slithers away.


“Good… good.”


Turning away from the massive creature, the bizarre lady gives you an inquisitive look, one of childish curiosity rather than malevolence.


“Sorry about that, my plants are fond of blood... they’re really friendly if you get to know them though! Anyway... who are you? And what brings you to my humble grove? Well, I suppose I should be a good host and take the initiative. Your kind knows me as the Queen of Thorns, but you can just call me Nempthys. I like to keep things informal here! Well, enough about me. I’m afraid I’ve indulged in my weakness for speech for too long. So, what are you exactly?”


Apprehensively, you tell her your name, and what you are. After all, she is your benefactor. If it weren’t for her, you’d be little more than a mangled pulp of flesh.


“Richard… that is your name you say, yes? It’s a pleasure to meet you! I like meeting new friends. A knight-in-training you say? Oh, how charming! I’ve seen countless others like you, but your face... is unique.”


You decide to throw in some praise for her youthful appearance. She is, after all, a sight for sore eyes, much like the elven wenches of your favourite tavern, except with twice the ears.


Aww, that’s so sweet of you, dear child! True, I may look your age, but I’m as ancient as the soil you tread upon. Still, being old doesn’t mean that you can’t look good! Since you’re here, you should stay for tea! It has been so long since I’ve had a visitor to admire my garden under the moon’s glow. It’s a real spectacle, you know!”


You try to decline as politely as possible, worried that lingering might be a prelude to a fate even worse than being devoured by a gargantuan vine serpent.


“I insist. I promise I won’t bite! Well, I used to, three millennia ago, but anything after that is all false allegations by that no-good liar Circe!”


She seems reluctant to let you go. Realising that there is no way to talk her out, you tell her the true intention of your visit, and that you wish to spare her in exchange for her kindness.


“What’s that, you’re here to slay me? Foolish child, I could easily have your frail body maimed in an instant!”


The last few words are said with the edge of a sharpened blade, as though challenging you to try. Her sudden change of demeanour jolts you from your bravado. You fall to your knees and beg her to spare you, causing her to smile.


“But since you’re such a fine young lad, I’ll offer you a way out. After all, I understand that you mortals have your convoluted concepts of honour and chivalry. That apparently means having to go out to murder others! I know you’re not of that sort, since you could have tried to strike me down without warning, like many others have before you. You’re not the first to come here for this, and sadly... you won’t be the last.”


Her musical voice and whimsical demeanour have returned, as though the outburst mere moments ago had never happened. Yet, something about the way she said the last line rubs you the wrong way.


However, before you have any time to contemplate, you feel her thorny hands on yours, pressing something soft and delicate into your palms.


“What’s this you ask? It is a petal, a portion of my being. Don’t worry, that torn patch on my body will heal in time. As for you, take this as a trophy that your kind craves so much, and tell your masters that you flayed poor Nempthys and hung her from her own vines! Isn’t that better for everyone? This makes a happy ending for both you and me, with no bloody surprises! Well, at least not for us…”


She smiles at you sweetly, before grabbing you by the arm with a playful tug.


“Now that all that unpleasant business is dealt with, you’re just in time for some freshly brewed chamomile tea! You, my child, must at least stay for a while...”

© 2016 Aurafiex


Author's Note

Aurafiex
Hi!

Do let me know what you think! If you've enjoyed this story, do check out my book on the Amazon Kindle Store, The Best of Aurafiex - A Short Story Collection.

Buy it now at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GX7EVLC

Have a nice day!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The beginning of this is very confusing. You do not quite get what is going on until you get to the middle. Some reasons for this. 1. Because of the unusual style of this, she talks about someone being there, then says the name Birchus, I assumed Birchus was who was there. Turned out it was a plant. I had to read the beginning like 3 times to understand what was happening. I am not sure quotes at the beginning and end of the entire monologue would help with that. I am wondering if this might not be a little clearer, Something like Scene: The Queen of Thorns is seen singing and dancing around a large viny plant, and then break into it. It at least shows those two, and explains more what Birchus is. As another suggestion, I sort of like the quote marks at the beginning and end, like it is a real conversation, although I am not sure what the rule is, or if there has to be one, but if you opened it with scene, you could close it with scene: The Queen of Thorns is seen laying out to two cups..... leaving the reader wondering whether the knight was ever there at all or whether it was a lonely old woman's fantasy! Interesting piece.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Well, I've added some narration. Do take a look and tell me what you think!
Cyndy Robinson

8 Years Ago

I love it, forget what I said, it makes all the difference in the world its great, as usual! It has.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
May
What a wonderful story! It didn't feel like a monologue at all. The humour in it was very well done.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Now normally, as a teacher of creative writing, I warn my students about the trying nature of second person narration. However, your piece is the exception and actually something, if you don't mind, I might actually use as an example of successful integration of 2nd person. Really well done and with good consistency. You have effectively drawn in the audience, placed them in the uncomfortable lime light, and established clear action and interaction.

Awesome stuff. The writing style flows well and like I said, it is consistent. However, it is also dated. Very much like a conversation with Alice in Wonderland's Queen of Hearts, the dialogue can be a little monotonous to follow. Although, you have a nice balance between dialogue and narrative, so you keep the pace moving. It shows good characterisation and you have the Queen's voice down perfectly - it's very strong, but I did find her a little cliche in her mannerisms and speech. Again, it's still very balanced and entertaining.

The concept is interesting and it kept me engaged the whole time, which is excellent.A very unique piece of writing that includes the audience like a comedian heckling the front row - I love it!

Will definitely be reading more of your work!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Thanks! It'd be a great pleasure for me to have you read my work.
I think I like this new style...it's quite catchy, almost like we get to act 'Richard.' Totally liked it enough to want to try it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Yeah! Its a lot of fun, IMO.
Hi Aurafiex,

This is an interesting perspective.

I really like the title--it's catchy.

Okay, back to the perspective: it's interesting. It took me a moment to understand that the reader does not actually hear the knights voice, only his thoughts. I actually found it to be a likable style.

The story was good too.

Great job!

Thanks for sharing!

Kind regards,

Schatzi

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Second Person Writing, I think it is fantastic. I have to try this! Thanks for inspiring me.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

You're very much welcome!
haha, this is kind of hilarious! This style, this seems to be that I am the person acting out as Richard. Basically, the ReaderXQueen of the Thorn. This is really refreshing and comical. Yup, it really is coherent. Love it! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


the story is conherent. It allows us, the answer to understand what you have done, I thought it was well done. The tale is very good. You have gave her a voice to do this with. I applaud you for the work. Keep at it, it is very enjoyable. I liked your characters you have created.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Thanks! This story started out as a one sided conversation, but after gathering feedback I've change.. read more
Richard Patrick

8 Years Ago

The thanks is to you.
Interesting indeed! Right away I was reminded of playing a game where the main hero does not speak a word, yet he was able to save the world. This also almost feels like a screen write with narrative, it could easily be changed to become one if you find yourself doing that kind of thing in the future. However, as a one sided monologue I rather enjoyed it. Your stories always have such a great deal of imagination that I know I'm in for something different every time I read your work. Well done, truly :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


As good as second person PoV gets. Good job.
Interesting way the character is portrayed. Hope you keep publishing.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


The beginning of this is very confusing. You do not quite get what is going on until you get to the middle. Some reasons for this. 1. Because of the unusual style of this, she talks about someone being there, then says the name Birchus, I assumed Birchus was who was there. Turned out it was a plant. I had to read the beginning like 3 times to understand what was happening. I am not sure quotes at the beginning and end of the entire monologue would help with that. I am wondering if this might not be a little clearer, Something like Scene: The Queen of Thorns is seen singing and dancing around a large viny plant, and then break into it. It at least shows those two, and explains more what Birchus is. As another suggestion, I sort of like the quote marks at the beginning and end, like it is a real conversation, although I am not sure what the rule is, or if there has to be one, but if you opened it with scene, you could close it with scene: The Queen of Thorns is seen laying out to two cups..... leaving the reader wondering whether the knight was ever there at all or whether it was a lonely old woman's fantasy! Interesting piece.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aurafiex

8 Years Ago

Well, I've added some narration. Do take a look and tell me what you think!
Cyndy Robinson

8 Years Ago

I love it, forget what I said, it makes all the difference in the world its great, as usual! It has.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

826 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2016
Last Updated on July 8, 2016
Tags: Knight, Quest, Hero, Monster, Plant, Flowers, Tea, Queen, Queen of Thorns, Thorns

Author

Aurafiex
Aurafiex

Singapore



About
Hi! I enjoy World of Warcraft, music and swimming. I'm someone who writes for fun. Pardon any typos or mistakes, because I write on my phone(lol). I'm new here, so if you like what you see do.. more..

Writing
My Webnovel! My Webnovel!

A Story by Aurafiex


Into Hell Into Hell

A Story by Aurafiex


Midnight Midnight

A Story by Aurafiex



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hello? Hello?

A Poem by θεά&nb..