Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Aurora Lynn

     It was a spring Tuesday in Great Barrington, Massachusetts; the sweet smell of flowers in the air. The quiet town was at its most busy time of day known in most places as five o’clock traffic, but there was no rush to get home in Great Barrington. The little shops that lined the main roads were at their most busy. People went in and out saying their hellos and goodbyes to each other. Everyone knew everyone here.

     Charlotte was unlike most of the laid back people who lived around her. It was most likely because of her job as a physical trainer in one of the most highly rated centers in Massachusetts that was just a few miles outside of Barrington. She woke up each morning at 4:30 a.m. for her run before she had to arrive at work at 7:30 a.m. She lived for the early mornings that most dreaded.

     The young 23 year old was quite proud, as she should be, to have landed a job at the Massachusetts Physical Training Center where most everyone was in their forties after working at many smaller companies to get to where they are today.

     She drove back through the little town in her Bentley Continental GTC convertible which wasn’t a great fit for the small town lifestyle she lived and loved. At each light someone would say hello, and she would be forced to wave back, there was never a person she hadn’t seen before. She liked it that way. No surprises meant she could go on as she always had.

     She pulled into the small, almost vacant parking lot of her favorite café, pulling her hair up in a messy bun. She checked her makeup in the rear view mirror before she opened the door of the café decorated in yellow daisies to a familiar jingle which signaled a new customer. She went over to the counter to order her usual sugar water and salad just as she did every day after work.

     Charlotte, sitting in her usual seat by the window close to the back of the café, was quite interested when her eyes landed on a stranger among the usual old man named Charlie who sat across the café and the newlyweds, George and Lisa who had eyes only for each other. No one new ever came to Barrington much less this café. That alone was enough to draw her attention. She strained her neck for a better look, but she couldn’t see his face which was covered by papers he huddled over. He seemed anxious to finish whatever it was he was doing.

     She noticed and untouched cup of coffee and scrambled sitting tediously close to the edge of the table. They only served eggs in the morning, adding to her bewilderment. Could he really have been sitting there all day?

     Charlotte had never been one to go out of her way for anything so she turned back to her salad which didn’t seem as appetizing anymore. Instead, she let her eyes wander around the café.

     The fancy chandelier which hung from the ceiling had never quite fit the happy, cozy environment of the café and swung lightly, pushed by the two old fans on either side of it. The hardwood floors were as spotless as always just as the windows were. The little wooden tables with white lace tablecloths were arranged in a specific order Charlotte had become accustomed to. She smelled the daisies set as the centerpiece of her table with care; they had always been her favorite flowers.

     She looked at her watch, and, realizing she was late, threw her salad away. She took one last glance at the mysterious stranger whose face was still hidden before she walked out the door and headed on her way hoping he would be back tomorrow.



© 2014 Aurora Lynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Please write more of this (: I really liked it and the details built a great picture in my mind! I also like how everything fitted together and was believable like the fact that she's into training and ordered a healthy choice (: I actually really liked this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aurora Lynn

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I'll have the next chapter up as soon as possible :)



Reviews

Please write more of this (: I really liked it and the details built a great picture in my mind! I also like how everything fitted together and was believable like the fact that she's into training and ordered a healthy choice (: I actually really liked this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aurora Lynn

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I'll have the next chapter up as soon as possible :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 29, 2014
Last Updated on May 29, 2014
Tags: love, romance, cafe, sweet, happy, secrets, past, charlotte, ryan, devotion, book, aurora, lynn, lovely, adventure, romantic


Author

Aurora Lynn
Aurora Lynn

GA



Writing
The Cafe The Cafe

A Book by Aurora Lynn