Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Light

Light

A Story by Austin Hucks
"

Something I wrote a little while ago. Definitely not my best work, but still pretty decent. I often use really blunt allegories in my work, and this is a pretty good example of that.

"
White woke up in a clear glass field, stunned at his awakening. He thought he would never wake up again, but that was all he could remember. He stood up on the oddly flexible glass grass. He didn’t even know what glass was, but if one looked at a blade of it, they would most certainly compare it at some point to a stable liquid form of glass. Anyways, as he stood up, he briefly considered falling asleep again. “No!” he thought. “Not on my life!” Somehow he felt his wakening was a miracle, so he went forwards on the clear glass path. Actually, there was no path. He somewhat saw a blatant hill in the distance, but that was it. For miles all there was, was the same grass reflecting on the sunlight. Somehow, incapable of feeling anything but happiness and determination, he set out to the hill. After what seemed to him to be a fairly long time, he started getting tired, the mountain still in the distance. Still determined, he decided to go forward until he couldn’t anymore, the mountain somehow seeming closer, but still in the almost impassable distance. What would he find there? Why was he going? He thought these things briefly, but looking at the mountain, he saw the top illuminated, with some sort of structure on top. Of course he needed to go there! He decided to simply lie in the grass and take a short break. What was even under the grass? Of course it was clear, but under the blaring light, it appeared mostly white. He decided to put his hands in the grass to get a better view of what was under there. The very bottom of the grass still covered what was under it completely. He put his hands through what even the bottom of the grass was covering and pulled it apart to create a fissure. All the he could see under it was pure, white light. He put his arm through the light hole but didn’t really feel anything but a stabilizing force. He tried to make the fissure bigger to get his head through, but in vain. For whatever reason, he could only get the fissure so big. What if there were bigger holes? What if he stepped in one? What would happen? The fear somehow made him just want to get to the mountain faster. At the mountain he assuredly would be safe. He started walking, being very careful not to slip through the cracks he wasn’t even sure existed. The mountain was hardly getting any closer, and his white skin started to sweat for the first time. He continued stopping and walking back about twelve times, until the hill was at a reasonable distance. Why was he going in the first place? Wasn’t he perfectly happy there? Yes, he thought, but he might be happier at the top of the mountain. The risk of the cracks wouldn’t get any worse if he went slower, so he decided to take his time. He felt more intelligent all of the sudden, making a sort of smile. He had lost contentness before, but he got it back. About three more cycles later, he was almost at the mountain, when his stomach started rumbling. He didn’t even know what hunger was at the time, but somehow he felt the cure was at the top of the mountain. To the mountain he went, until he got to the bottom of the hill. His hunger was almost unbearable, so much so that he decided to eat the glass grass. It was sweet as nectar and his hunger was gone. Why didn’t he cherish his journey to the hill? He was there anyways, and now he knew. He went to the top of the hill, looking forward to what he would find. At the top, he didn’t see any sort of structure anymore, but at least he wouldn’t fall through one of the cracks. What more did he want anyways? At the top of the mountain was a thin white light, coming from the sky. He started to notice everything was just a shade or reflection or clarity of white. What were the other colours even? He had to have a better future if he stepped into the small ray of light. He put his hand through it and nothing happened. What if it was all in vain? He stepped in the light. A dent formed under him immediately getting bigger and turning into a hole he fell through. Everything was light.

© 2013 Austin Hucks


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on June 3, 2013
Last Updated on June 3, 2013

Author

Austin Hucks
Austin Hucks

Milton, ON, Halton, Canada



About
I'm an aspiring writer. My favorite thing to read is plays in book format, but I read more books. I usually write realistic YA, but I'm dabbling a bit. I've written two books, one of which is on blogg.. more..

Writing
Flash 1 Flash 1

A Story by Austin Hucks


The clock The clock

A Story by Austin Hucks