Confidence

Confidence

A Story by Axel Wright
"

A story about a plump girl.

"

This is the story of an overweight girl. Now, if you actually saw the girl, you would realize that overweight is the least you can say.  In truth, however, even “overweight” is too much, especially if we are talking about Laura. If you want to know one thing about overweight people it is that they don’t even want to detect the tiniest implication or notion that something is wrong with them. Some people tolerate it more and some others, like Laura, don’t.

 

As a whole, Laura had a very big character. She loved films, she knew everything about fashion: every dress (including those that wouldn’t fit her) and every designer and that was just one of her many fascinations. Because when she sat down with friends and started talking, contrary to all belief, contrary to all expectations, she spoke the most and the loudest. One would think that an overweight girl would be a bit quieter, a bit shier because of the way she looks. No-when Laura was talking she did not care for anything except for what she wanted to say.  And yes-with Laura, there was more than meets the eye. You can understand the last sentence in any way you like.

 

She was confidence incarnate. She talked so loud that if she became a film director she wouldn’t need a megaphone to address the crew. It was sort of painful for her friends if Laura was really into the conversation because the more interested she was the more she increased her decibels. One morning, her closest friend-Maggie was approaching from the other end of the park. It was a sunny day and a lot of people were around. Maggie went to her friend.

 

“MAGGIE, DARLING, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO CALL YOU?”

 

Needless to say, the whole park heard them. Some of the sparrows on the trees flew for the heavens. Maggie who was just twenty-five centimeters away from Laura was not really surprised.

 

“Why did you have to wait for me to come to you from the other end of the park? I could hear you from there just as good, you know…”

“WHAT?”

 

And so university life for Laura went on, loud and comfortable. Until one day, well, something went not according to plan. Maggie and another friend of hers-Mia, both of whom knew Laura, decided to have fun in Maggie’s house and each of them started imitating the way Laura behaved. They were very horrible and cruel in that secret game of theirs and they didn’t even feel ashamed of that. If they did, it wasn’t enough for them to make them stop. They were joking about everything they could-from Laura consuming gigantic turkeys, to the image of her ruling a kingdom and announcing a championship for the most deliciously baked cake. They got so carried away and they found it so funny that they even decided to record it on their I-Phones. It was 25-minutes long: twenty five minutes of merciless gag-reels targeted at the person that supposedly was their friend. The grand finale was when they mistakenly sent the record to Laura.

 

The next day, Laura met Maggie at the park. Laura wasn’t angry or depressed. But she was quiet. And she remained quiet every day since. Truth was that Maggie never understood that the loud voice and the confidence was the best Laura ever discovered and had for herself in the world.

© 2013 Axel Wright


Author's Note

Axel Wright
Thanks for reading. Let me know what you think if you read it. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That was really good! I'm not much of a reviewer, but as a reader, I can say that I enjoyed that story. Well, I mean, I didn't enjoy how Maggie treated Laura at the end, but you know what I mean. It was interesting to see how Laura went from being this dramatic character, loud and proud, to being so quiet. It really showed the effect that Maggie's actions had on her. Beautiful :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

That was really good! I'm not much of a reviewer, but as a reader, I can say that I enjoyed that story. Well, I mean, I didn't enjoy how Maggie treated Laura at the end, but you know what I mean. It was interesting to see how Laura went from being this dramatic character, loud and proud, to being so quiet. It really showed the effect that Maggie's actions had on her. Beautiful :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
1 Review
Added on July 21, 2013
Last Updated on July 21, 2013
Tags: plump, girl, overweight, confidence, friends, university

Author

Axel Wright
Axel Wright

Plovdiv, Plovdiv, Bulgaria



About
I live in the Balkans, Easter Europe, Bulgaria, the city of Plovdiv, and I've just finished 12th grade. Thanks in advance for all of your reviews and comments. more..

Writing
Protector Protector

A Story by Axel Wright