A Place called Home Part 2.

A Place called Home Part 2.

A Story by AzureVampire
"

A young boy in his second year in high school is the new kid on the block, with a unique gift. He has been hiding this gift his whole life but in his new environment, it might prove to be a challenge.

"

       Kovis had been running for what seemed like hours, his heart raced, blood pumped and his body ached to the bone. Panic struck deep inside him, down to his very soul; something was chasing him and it was Fear itself. He was running down the dirt road from his house, back toward the fork but the road kept stretching on and on. Kovis looked over his shoulder and regret punched him full force in the chest, black fog flowed down the road with large dark silhouettes scattered inside; each figure had large red eyes and alabaster fangs.  Kovis dived into a bush and tried to roll back into a run but something caught his foot, causing him to face-plant into mud. Mud? How is there mud? It hasn't rained lately.. Kovis thought to himself while he struggled against what grabbed his foot; when he realized something had grabbed him. He looked down at his foot and saw a branched wrapped completely around his right ankle. Kovis latched onto it and tried pulling the branch loose but it squeezed tighter and suddenly thorns sprouted, piercing his ankle. Kovis screamed in agony and pulled harder, kicking his leg, yanking on the branch with all his strength. "Let go of me!" Kovis beckoned with a rage unknown to him. He pulled on his leg and bellowed while the thorns slashed his ankle to the bone until his rage completely filled his soul; Kovis lunged at the branch and all his rage channeled through his hands, the branch combusted in flames with an explosion. Kovis was hurled backward head over heels four times before his back slammed flat against a tree.

Kovis sat straight up and gasped loudly, covered in a cold sweat and breathing heavily. He looked at his hands and noticed that they were slightly steaming, they also had a soft red tint. Kovis checked his phone, three useless emails and a calendar reminder-Bus leaves at 7:30am. The worst part about checking his phone was the time, 3:52am. Kovis sighed, got out of bed and grabbed a set of clothes for his first day of sophomore year. Hot water flowed down his shoulders and back while he leaned against the front of the shower with his arm extended and one leg bent. That was a strange dream...the road..those things..the branch..and the fire...I don't understand any of it. Kovis tried analyzing his thoughts in the serenity of the shower but his efforts were thwarted. My hands are still so hot..could it be real? Nonsense... Kovis pondered for another hour until the hot water ran out, he quickly dried off and dressed for his new adventure. Kovis spent the remainder of the time he had in the morning on his computer, mindless internet surfing was all he could muster while his thoughts were still examining the nightmare.

Kovis stared at his reflection in the mirror, observing his clean shaven jawline leading the way to his round chin. His intense bronze eyes examined his thick eyebrows, which made a fitting contrast to his eyes. A pointed nose centered his features with a flat forehead to finish his handsome face. Kovis wore a gray T-shirt, blue jeans, black sneakers and a black and silver backpack.  He pulled out his phone and sent a text to his Aunt, "Heading to school now.." It didn't take long for a response, "Have fun and relax Hun, Love ya <3" Kovis shook his head and chuckled as the bus pulled up to his house.

He ran up to the door as the bus driver opened them up, "What's your name kid?" The stout bus driver asked. Kovis replied to her, "Kovis Alononi." He stopped on the first step and waited for approval from the bus driver. "Well what are you waiting for? I have a time frame here!" The bus driver barked with a jerk of her thumb toward the seats. Kovis smirked and climbed the steps and looked back at dozens of eyes staring at him, measuring him, and judging him. Kovis scanned the bus for an empty seat and found one, a little more than half way next to a beautiful girl that had long curly blonde hair past her shoulders, pale skin and cooling blue eyes. She had a slender but curvy build, she was wearing a tight blue skirt and a blue and white tank top that hung loosely over a tight gray tank top. The girl looked up and locked eyes with him and smiled, Kovis managed a half smile that made his bold eyebrows and round bronze eyes stand out against his light tan skin. He began to make his way toward the seat when the bus lurched forward, Kovis stumbled forward as a tall, large chested, blonde spiky haired guy with a black and blue Letterman jacket stood up right in the aisle. "Watch where you're going, scrub!" The guy ordered and shoved Kovis with one meaty hand. Kovis stumbled back three seat lengths and caught himself on the back of the fourth seat; He stood fully up and stared daggers at this unknown assailant, this large six foot and two inch monster with legs for arms stood eight feet from him. A thought danced across his mind, something his father told him once after he came home with a black eye and a broken nose; Never run from a challenge, if you do you will never know your true limits. Kovis secured the memory and retorted, "You should stay out of my way like you belong, blockhead."  

The brute of a man cracked his neck twice and started toward Kovis, he raised  his hands level to Kovis's face. Kovis stood his ground and prepared himself for the pain that surely would follow his quick tongue. The brute got within arms length of Kovis and snatched him up by his shirt like he was a toddler, Kovis was hanging about six inches off the ground and it didn't even look like it was bothering the muscle bound jock.

 

The blonde haired girl stood up and put her hand on the giant's right flank and instructed, "put him down, Drake." The beast of a man turned his head and saw who spoke to him and once he realized who it was he put Kovis down. "Lani, do not tell me what to do. Know your place." Drake spoke with purpose.

"My place huh? Maybe next time in Gym I won't go easy on you?" Lani retorted matter-of-factly. Drake glared at Kovis once more before returning to his seat and his posse of friends, all that wore matching Letterman jackets.

"Hey.. My name is Lani Kingston Sophomore this year. What's your name?" Lani inquired with genuine curiosity. "H-Hey, My name is Kovis Alononi..I'm new here but also a Sophomore, What's his deal?" Kovis forced a reply while admiring her figure. Lani turned her head and replied, " Well we have kind of a history. He thinks just because he beat a few school records that he can boss everyone around and act all high and mighty. Anyways! Enough about him, come on I have an open seat." Lani turned and walked back to her seat and sat by the window with a smile. Kovis looked her up and down while he followed her and sat down next to her. 

 The bus had begun its journey toward his next adventure, his new school. Kovis looked passed Lani out the window and remembered the nightmare that plagued him only eight hours ago. His heart beat faster and his palms were wet, mouth dry and breath labored. "Are you alright? Kovis?" Lani asked with her brows furrowed. "Huh? Yeah I am fine. Bad dream last night, didn't sleep very well is all." Kovis assured her quickly. The rest of the bus ride was quiet and agonizingly slow for Kovis.


After about fifteen minutes the bus had finally made it to the town, there were all kinds of different buildings; small shops of every color and a couple large department stores, even a bakery that smelled of cookies just out of the oven. The bus turned left at the end of the main street and up a hill toward the school that sat on a large plateau. There it was, Talis High School a place of wonder and horror all at the same time; Kovis stared out the window at the large school, his feelings were stuck somewhere between excited and positively horrified.

 

© 2013 AzureVampire


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
Added on October 22, 2013
Last Updated on December 11, 2013
Tags: Bully, Rival, Angst

Author

AzureVampire
AzureVampire

Sacramento, CA



About
I am an inspiring writer that is trying to get my creations out into the world. I am very passionate about writing and have so many ideas but I need some helping hands and criticism to get me there! .. more..

Writing