Mr. Invisible Dead

Mr. Invisible Dead

A Story by Philip Choi

Mr. Invisible Dead

When Mr. Invisible finally dragged himself out of bed, he was already late for work. He crammed some cereal down the throat, and ran toward the bathroom. He then went through the motions of brushing teeth so that he would smell civil. He put on his suit, and almost strangled himself while tying his tie. He brushed his hair, and then he was ready.

Thankfully, Mr. Invisible caught the elevator. He became nauseous when his neighbour stared at the elevator door as he entered. Then, she just went back to her book.  Feeling awkward in an enclosed space, Mr. Invisible said “hi” weakly. However, his neighbour was too concentrated in her book. Mr. Invisible left her alone to read her book. Mr. Invisible deeply regretted not keeping up with his resolution to take the stairs.

His neighbour was intelligent, or at least Mr. Invisible thought so. The way she read her books and the way she adjusted her glasses attracted him. He knew she was the perfect match for him. Now he just needed to make her notice him.

When the elevator door reopened, Mr. Invisible sprang out, partially to get away from the awkwardness. When Mr. Invisible almost arrived at the bus stop, the bus was leaving. Mr. Invisible shouted that he was coming, but the bust just left without him. Mr. Invisible stomped the ground out of frustration. Then, he walked over to the bust stop.

Mr. Invisible soon became soon became immersed in the thought of his beautiful neighbour. Even a thought of her took his breath away. It was not her out beauty, but her intelligence made her so attractive. As much as he wanted to kiss her, he wanted more badly to talk with her.

When Mr. Invisible woke up from his day dream, he saw in his sight another bus leaving. He was right in front of the bus stop, yet the bust just passed by him. Astonished by the coldness of the city, Mr. Invisible felt alone as ever.

He was late by an hour and more when he eventually caught a bus. The bus was relatively empty, so Mr. Invisible sat down in a corner and contemplated his life. He was tired of his life already. The misery of being chased by a clock to earn piece of paper was stressful. However, he was determined to keep going. One day, he would have it all. He would have the money and the woman. Then, he would finally be happy. Right now, however, the goal of sneaking into the company was more important than the goal in the distant future.

When Mr. Invisible stepped into the building, Ms. Lee stared at him as the door closed behind him. Mr. Invisible put his head down, and quietly walked up the stairs. He couldn’t think of any good excuse for being this late. He eventually came up with an excuse to not think of an excuse. Honesty is the best policy, so Mr. Invisible was convinced that he should not make any excuse.

Mr. Invisible entered his floor, and he found that everyone was concentrated on their work. Mr. Invisible quietly slipped into his office, containing his happiness that he made into his office without his boss noticing him.

When he sat on his desk, he noticed that there was nothing left on his desk. He was surprised, and his head tried its best to find a plausible explanation. Just then, two muscular men came in and lifted up his desk. Mr. Invisible asked these men what they were doing, but they continued to concentrate on their work. They arrived at the window, and they lifted up the desk with little struggle. With no hesitation, they dropped the desk through the open window. The sound of his desk crashing only seemed to bother Mr. Invisible. After finishing their work, the works left swiftly. Mr. Invisible angrily shouted his questioned at them, but they did not answer.

Mr. Invisible was confused. Two men just threw this desk out of the window, and nobody seemed to care except him. Mr. Invisible was convinced that he was not dreaming, and he was also convinced that he was still useful to this company. Hence, he was led to believe that this was just another practical prank. He decided that the prank had gone too far now. Seeing his social group chatting in the corner, he approached them to complain.

Mr. Invisible was going to tell them that enough was enough until he realized they were talking in gibberish. He assumed this was just a part of the prank. Mr. Invisible nicely asked for the attention, but he was ignored. His social group continued to talk in gibberish. Exasperated, he stated his opinion on the whole affair firmly. His social group continued to ignore him and talk in gibberish. Mr. Invisible shouted out of frustration in an attempt to get their attention, but they still ignored him. Mr. Invisible stomped on the ground, which achieved nothing. Then, the humans just ended their gibberish conversation and left to continue their work. Mr. Invisible was about to shove one of his “friend”, but his “friend” walked right through him. Mr. Invisible felt pang in his gut as the person just passed through his whole body. The pain made him collapse. He could not even grasp the absurdity of what just happened. A physical being just passed through Mr. Invisible as if he were air. Mr. Invisible was not air. He was a human with a physical body. The person should have collided with Mr. Invisible and felt a significant amount of force in reaction to his action. Instead, the person just went through Mr. Invisible as if he were not there.

He stood up again despite of the shock. He then slowly walked into the bathroom. He turned on the water and he splashed his face with the coldness of it. When he calmed himself down enough, he straightened his back up to find himself in the mirror. Actually, he did not find anything. Instead, nothingness greeted him.

When he finally dragged himself out of the bathroom, nothing had changed. People worked just like before, and the sun was there as it had been for years. Everything was normal, except everything was not.

Mr. Invisible decided to call it a day after the strange incident. He simply walked out of the building. He took the bus, and promised himself that he would pay the fare later. A woman put her expensive handbag on his lap, not knowing Mr. Invisible was sitting there. Mr. Invisible made sure no on stole it. He’d got off at his stop, and dragged his tired and invisible feet to his home. He found that the door was wide open. The same two muscular men were cleaning his house. One muscular man looked at Mr. Invisible’s picture for a second, and then threw it in the garbage can. His house was bare now, and the workers started to scrape off the wall paper. Mr. Invisible was too tired even to complain, so he collapsed into the floor and fell asleep as the two men worked.

For a couple of days, Mr. Invisible pretended to be visible. He woke up at the exact same time, took the same bus, and went to the same building. He went to the same room and pretended he was sitting on the same chair. However, sitting on an invisible chair that existed in the mid-air tired his legs out. Hence, Mr. Invisible sat in the middle of the empty room and pretended to be doing work-related meditation. In his break, he would go to his peer group and pretended he belonged there. He laughed when others laughed, even though he had no understanding of what was so funny. (Mr. Invisible did not speak gibberish.) Maybe his existence was the laughing stock.

Also, Mr. Invisible took the advantage of the situation and took his revenge on his boss. His saliva might be invisible, but it was more about symbolism.

After a tiring day of work, he took the same bus back and quietly sobbed in front of his door. This lasted for a few days, until Mr. Invisible quitted his work. He did not quit because he was invisible. He quitted because a replacement was hired for his post. The replacement worked as well as Mr. Invisible did, and nobody seemed to notice any difference. It was as if his existence never really mattered.

One upside of being invisible was that he could now go through walls. One downside of being invisible was that he lost his ability to interact with physical objects, except with gravity and the ground that held him down to the earth. He could not hold anything, and any physical objects went right through him. Since he could not interact with doors, he just went through walls. Of course, that was not the only downside. All people now spoke in gibberish, and his voice could not be heard by others. Also, he could not be seen by others or himself. Mr. Invisible found some consolation in the fact that an invisible man never felt any hunger or thirst. He would save a lot of money if he did not have to eat or drink.

He woke up in “his” house. He still existed there, but a family bought the apartment and acted as if they owned it. Being a generous person, he let them share the apartment with him. He would have loved to help when thy ewer moving, but he wasn’t feeling like he used to be.

He had nothing to do, so he went outside. Then, he started to wander around aimlessly. Sometimes, someone smiled or waved their hands to his direction. Mr. Invisible then would be full of hope that he was visible again and that everything had been a nightmare. His hope was swiftly crushed every time. One time, a person ran toward Mr. Invisible with his arms opened. Mr. Invisible opened his arm and tried to hug him back, but the person ran right through him. Mr. Invisible looked back and found the person hugging a friend. He felt a deep pang in his gut again.

After a day of crushed hope, Mr. Invisible dragged his body back to his house. Even though they were talking in gibberish, it was clear that the family that moved in were laughing and happy. Mr. Invisible did not find anything funny; the fact that he was invisible was not funny at all. Angered by their rudeness, he stormed out of the house through a wall. He did not like it at all when people laughed without him. Mr. Invisible became quite emotional after becoming invisible. Why did it have to be him? Why is the world so cruel to him? He sat down on the stairs, and quietly sobbed. Mr. Invisible felt alone as ever.

When the elevator door opened behind him, he instantly recognized the familiar sound of the high heels. He felt as if she would hug him from the back and whisper to him that everything would be okay. There was nothing he wanted more except the gentle voice of his neighbour right now. His heart kept pounding and pounding as the sound of her high heels approached him. Then, he heard a door open, swiftly close, and the sound of a heart sinking.

He knew it, but he always fell for it. He wanted to have hope even for a second. He knew that his hope would be crushed every time. But he still hoped, and he still fell for it.

Mr. Invisible wondered what his neighbour was doing. Then, he realized he was an invisible man. He wondered if it would be immoral to trespass her house. He soon came to conclusion that an invisible man has an invisible moral.

Nothing of particular interest happened for a while. His neighbour read a book, and that was not exciting. He even thought of leaving to respect her privacy. But she went to the bathroom. Mr. Invisible fell in love with her because of her intellect. He was not animal driven by physical lust. He was not a pervert who craved to see women’s naked bodies. But what was the point of loving her intellect when she would never love him back. What was the point of loving anyone now? For her, he did not exist. For him, she would just be a movie. Mr. Invisible determined that he would get the best out of this movie.

Mr. Invisible was never a big fan of pornography. He thought it objectified women. The feeling of guilt washed over him as she unclipped her bra and slid her panties down her legs. He watched as hot water dripped down the contour of her body. He felt more and more vomitous as he felt more and more sexually aroused.

He stayed laid down in the dark and empty bathroom for a while. He had just ejaculated to the naked body of his love, a body he would never touch. He was exhausted. Ejaculation made him exhausted both physically and mentally. But being invisible made him more so.

When he finally dragged himself out of the bathroom, his neighbour was lightening a scented candle. She then put a wine bottle and two wine glasses on the table. Few minutes later, the doorbell rang. Mr. Invisible wondered if he should get the door, but he thought against it. His neighbour opened the door, and she was greeted by a man in a fine suit. Mr. Invisible instantly convinced himself that the man was his neighbour’s brother. He MUS be her brother. There was no other plausible explanation. His conviciont was not shaken when they hugged each other and then kissed lightly on their lips.

They went to the tables and sat. They talked about casual affairs such as work and social relationships. Sure, they called each other sweetheart and darlings. However, that only strengthened Mr. Invisible’s conviction that they were blood siblings. They started to kiss each other violently after a couple glasses of wine. Mr. Invisible firmly believed this only showed how intimate they were together as a BLOOD SIBLING. There was no other explanation that made sense.” NONE”, he even shouted out aloud, “None of the explanation makes sense except that they are blood siblings. So just shut up!”

With a blink of an eye, he saw her bra being unclipped and her panties being slid through her legs once again. It was not her hands who did it this time though. As he saw her naked body lying on the floor, Mr. Invisible felt anger and disgust. Not even the dirtiest w***e would commit incest. Mr. Invisible never knew his neighbour was such a s**t. Mr. Invisible walked out while trying his best not to hear their disgusting moans. It was surprising what alcohol could do.  

He tried to punch the wall out of anger, but the wall completely ignored him. Soon enough, the anger and disgust turned into despair.

When he woke up next day, he did not know what to do. He did not have anything to do or anything really anyway. However, he did not want to spend his whole day wallowing in hollowness, so he decided to go for a walk.

It was such a sunny day. Everyone seemed happy, except Mr. Invisible. As everyone busily moved on with their life, he shouted out of desperation.

“Notice me, I am right here!”

He shouted while standing on the edge of his demise. Everyone looked so small up here.

“Mom, mom, what’s that man doing standing way up there?”

“Oh sweetie, there is no man standing there, so let’s go.”

“Mom, I think it’s dangerous to be standing there, we should stop him.”

“Tom, unless you are seeing an invisible man, there is no man. Let’s quit this nonsense right now and let’s go!”

Mr. Invisible wondered if people would notice him once he was dead. As his bones were shattering into pieces, a famous quotation went through his head.

“Life goes on.”

Tom watched as the man fell to the ground. He couldn’t watch anymore when the blood and the organs appeared. People all seemed startled and even saddened by this event, which in his belief was totally preventable. Some people even openly wept for him. Nobody seemed to care when he was up there, now everyone cared when he was down here and dead. But sadness did not derail people’s lives much. After a second of sadness, everyone went on with their life. Tom watched at the gruesome body as his mother dragged him.

Few days later, Tom and his parents went to the funeral of the man. A lot of people were crying for his death. Tom asked his mother why so many people were crying. His mother answered that the young man died in a tragic way and that was supposed to be sad.

“But….” Tom blurted out,

“Don’t be rude, just be quiet.” His mother said as she hushed Tom.

“In today news, a young man chose to end his life for no apparent reason. The police are investigating his case, but the reason for his death is still unknown. Kim with more on this.”

“Well Heather, the entire community is extremely saddened by his untimely death. As his friends told us in the interview, he had a bright future and was always happy…..”

“Tom, go upstairs and do your homework now!”’

“But how can I do my homework when a man died right in front of my eyes, and I could have prevented it?”

“Life goes on Tom, It goes on without you so very well.”

© 2016 Philip Choi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on March 26, 2016
Last Updated on March 26, 2016

Author

Philip Choi
Philip Choi

London, Ontario, Canada



About
I am a bad writer who likes writing. Please join my journey. more..

Writing