Sparks

Sparks

A Chapter by Bagge

I walked with steady pace through the ancient hallways, long lost splendour crumbling around me. As I walked, the sound of slow breathing became louder.

I entered what had once been a bed room - now only a splintered frame remaining, and found a rat with mangy, pale fur gnawing at an old skull. It looked up at me with imploring eyes.

"Rat," I said with a nod.

"Princess," it answered with hissing voice. "So long since I saw your ilk in these halls."

"I seek the dragon," I said, holding my sword with the tip pointing downwards. Not quite in a fighting stance, but easy to bring up, should the need arise.

"And what business would the princess have with the dragon," the rat answered, not letting its eyes off my sword.

"To fight her," I answered. "To slay her, or to be devoured by her, as luck and skill would have it."

"And then what, were you to slay the beast, or were the beast to slay you?" The rat asked.

"Then my purpose would have been fulfilled," I answered, keeping a slight shiver out of my voice. "Despite those who would deny me so."

"And what is it to you, were your purpose to remain unfulfilled?" the rat asked with a hiss.

"What else would there be?" I asked with an annoyed frown.

"That's up to you, isn't it?" The rat smirked. "We don't decide on our circumstances, but we do decide on the choices we make with them."

"And what about you, rat," I snapped, perhaps more sharply than strictly necessary. "What choices do you make?"

"I chose to feast when food was aplenty," the rat promptly answered. "I chose to starve when food was scarce. Perhaps I will chose to feast again, should the opportunity present itself." It leered at me. "Perhaps I will feast on you."

"You are welcome to try," I said and raised my sword slightly.

"I think I will not," the rat carefully answered and scuffled a few steps backwards. "I will wait for the dragon to finish with you, that I might seek my scraps among the remains."

"Perhaps it will be the remains of the dragon you feast upon," I said, forcing my voice to sound more confident than I really felt."

"Perhaps," the rat agreed. "Either way I will get a meal."

"And soon you will starve again," I pointed out. "When no more dragons or princesses are to be had."

"Such is the life I have chosen," it laconically said. It met my eyes. "You could always join me," it suggested. "Together we might seek out larger prey."

"Life as a scavenger is hardly the purpose I envision," I shot back.

"It could be," it answered. "If you were to chose it."

"I do not," I said in indignation. "Now, will you tell me where to find the dragon I seek?"

"And what would you give me, were I to tell you what you want?" the rat asked. "Would I get a taste of your flesh? A sip of your blood? A finger, perhaps? You have so many of them, after all."

"I would allow you to keep your life," I sharply said, pointing the sword straight at the face of the creature. "Although I have to admit it hardly seems worth much."

"It is the buyers market," the rat mused. "For the price you offer I will give you the information you seek."

"I'm waiting," I said, not lowering my sword.

"The dragon you seek has made a lair of this castle," the rat said with serious voice. "She drags her bloated body through corridors and chambers, restlessly seeking out those who would challenge her" -it gave me a little nod.

"Then were am I to find her," I asked. "I assume you don't mean to tell me to just keep wander the corridors until we happen upon each other?"

"No need," the rat answered. "Even if perhaps the experience would be educational. There is much to find in these old forgotten rooms."

"Scraps and morsels from those who since long turned to dust is not what I seek," I said. "The dragon is. Tell me where to find her."

"It's been long since the dragon last travelled beyond the lower levels," the rat said whit a sad shake of the head. "These days, she barely move at all. You will find her in the largest chamber at the lowest level of the castle. Right by the main doors."

"I thank you," I said, "and as payment I will spare your life. You may go on with your business." I nodded at the old skull.

"If it's all the same I will follow you," the rat said. "However your purpose unfold, there might be a meal in it for me."

"If you wish to make it your business to follow me, I won't stop," I said and turned to the corridor. "Just don't get in my way."

"That remains to be seen, doesn't it," the rat said with a little grin.I rolled my eyes and didn't answer.

With the rat a few respectful steps after me, I started to walk, down the next staircase. Following the sound of the slow breathing.


© 2023 Bagge


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on March 11, 2023
Last Updated on May 21, 2023


Author

Bagge
Bagge

About
Budding writer Fanfic at a03: User name Bagge Profile picture commissioned from Lorvikk at tumblr more..

Writing
Darkness Darkness

A Chapter by Bagge


Glow Glow

A Chapter by Bagge


Outlines Outlines

A Chapter by Bagge





Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5