Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Bailey Drake

Reading Romeo and Juliet is like watching a television show rerun, where you’re an omniscient bystander.   You, for the most part, know everything that’s going to happen, while the ignorant characters don’t.  You can yell and scream, saying, ‘No, Dr. Baker!  She really likes you!’, but no matter what, your protests are going to have no effect on the outcome.  Like Romeo thinks Juliet is dead, so he kills himself?  Then Juliet wakes up, finds Romeo dead, and kills herself?  ‘No, Romeo, Juliet is really alive! Don’t do it!’

 

                As I finished that god awful story, I felt angry inside.  Sure, the story of the star crossed lovers is one everyone knows and finds romantic and true, but I thought it was outrageously stupid.  Shakespeare should have been a little more realistic when it came to dying.  I would never kill myself over a some random bloke.

 

I closed the book, set it on my bedside table, and looked up at the ceiling.  What was Shakespeare thinking when he wrote Romeo and Juliet?  Even The Taming of the Shrew?  I wouldn’t let some guy tame me.  That sounded beyond horrid.

 

“Julie, honey?  Your lesson starts in ten minutes.”  There was a faint knock on my door as my aunt’s soft, kind voice floated through.

 

“Okay.  Thanks Aunt Maggie.”  I took a deep breath, and let it out with a sigh.  What could I do about Shakespeare?  Nothing.  He’s long been dead and gone.  What was I left with?  That unfinished, horrible ending.

 

Sitting up in my bed, I rubbed at my tired eyes.  I’d been up all night rereading that stupid play.  Trying to understand Shakespeare’s meaning, to no avail.  There was no understanding why he would end it like that, but hey, it was his story, so he had every right to finish it the way he wanted.

 

I wondered what it would’ve been like to be Juliet, and in love with Romeo.  Especially at the age thirteen.  How would it feel to have forbidden love, and go against your parents wishes?  I wouldn’t know, one, because of the fact that I lacked parents.  And two, because I tried to obey my guardians at all times possible.  It wasn’t that I did it in spite, but that they deserved it.

 

My aunt and uncle had taken me in when my parents died in a car crash.  Ha, cliché, yes, but sad, immensely.  I was young �" too young to cry about it �" so Maggie and Robert were practically my real parents.  I strongly felt that they deserved my obedience and kindness.

 

I stood up, and gathered my books for school.  Maggie home schooled me�"could she be more of a saint?�"and was an excellent teacher.  Reading Romeo and Juliet was not part of her lesson, but something about that story had me rereading it.  As if the next time I read it, the ending would be different and satisfy me.  Which I knew was impossible.  But hey, I bet the Capulets though Juliet marrying Romeo was impossible.  And that happened despite everyone’s protests.

 

“Jules… honey?  You’re late.”  Maggie opened the door, looking so nice and clean that I couldn’t help but give her a smile.  I’d lost myself in Romeo and Juliet thoughts again.

 

“Sorry.  I’m just getting my things together.”  Maggie gave me an all knowing look, but backed out of my room nevertheless.  I frowned, knowing that my thoughts would have to be diverted to schoolwork, but later, when I sat in bed, they’d stray, and once again, I’d pick up that tattered, unrealistic, addicting book. 


© 2012 Bailey Drake


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

over a some random bloke.-take out "a"

Maggie home schooled me"could she be more of a saint?"and was an excellent teacher. - maggie home-schooled me(could she be more of a saint?) and was anexcellent teacher.

Awesome 1st chapter. It intrigued me and makes me want to read more and see what the book is about. ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is really good so far. keep writing! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like how that the prologue is like a back round story. Very nicely written. Although i disagree with the fact that - killing yourself because your lover is dead- is stupid. I love the ending and thought it to be highly unlikely and romantic. I can't even guess what you have planned for chapter one. Good luck :)
-Courage

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

over a some random bloke.-take out "a"

Maggie home schooled me"could she be more of a saint?"and was an excellent teacher. - maggie home-schooled me(could she be more of a saint?) and was anexcellent teacher.

Awesome 1st chapter. It intrigued me and makes me want to read more and see what the book is about. ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 12, 2012
Last Updated on June 12, 2012


Author

Bailey Drake
Bailey Drake

Somewhere



About
My name is Bailey Drake. Writing is what I like to do, reading is what inspires me. I also sing, dance, play the guitar, and act. I'm a fine arts person. I'm not really sure where my writing will tak.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Bailey Drake


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Bailey Drake