Prologue - "Happily Ever After"

Prologue - "Happily Ever After"

A Chapter by Bao Bao
"

"Happily ever after" perhaps.

"

            I understood my family’s decision. Giving me away to end a feud, what a deal! So I became a thread, connecting the two families. What an important thing I must be. The thought of leaving my family was not as heart wrenching as my nanny told me, but I did what I had to and cried my eyes out. What a mess I was, I hope I did not embarrass my father.

            I remember very clearly the day I was chosen for such an important task. Marriage, of course, was normal. I found it quite flattering when my father-in-law and mother-in-law chose me over my sisters to marry their son. My siblings sat in a row, while my parents stood beside my future father-in-law and mother-in-law. I remembered the lessons I had on Saturday, and I guessed this was the perfect opportunity to show off my grace. I looked down, while retaining good posture. My sisters were not as talented as I, for they, rather than looking down, looked to the side, as if they were reluctant. My future in-laws requested to see me clearer. I was obedient, and raised my head slowly, like I was taught so long ago. I looked into their eyes with my aquamarine ones. I specially pulled back my bronze hair into a bun that day so they could see my beautiful eyes better. I stared into their eyes, and they returned it with a snide smile. It was decided already.

            But that was long ago, as I had already ridden in their ornate carriage. I arrived at their manor, wholly aware that I would never return to my parents again. I felt like Cinderella that night, it was a very special feeling. Everyone complimented me. My sisters must be so jealous. After being received and meeting my husband for the first time I was taken to my room. My husband, James, was handsome. With a firm build, pale face, chestnut hair, and piercing green eyes, he was a perfect match with me.

            It was almost midnight before he returned to our room my wedding night. He came in with a red face. The smell of alcohol smothered me when he fell onto me. By then, my bun was let go and my wavy hair cascaded down my back. I was a beautiful bride, no doubt, readying herself for eternal life with her handsome husband. His chestnut hair was in a mess, but an obedient wife should not complain. We did what was supposed to be done. That night I thought over and over again that someday I would bear a beautiful baby boy for James, and raise our child, thus completing my purpose for living. I thought this was a perfect happily ever after, and I believed it with no questions asked.

 

            I felt it then, and I did not know what it was. It felt as if I left something out, not unlike the nagging feeling of an unfinished task. Something was surely missing, something that my mind was unable to grasp.



© 2008 Bao Bao


Author's Note

Bao Bao
Please comment about the characters if you can. Things like what you think about them, and if their actions suit their personality. Thank you. [ Also, if you catch any grammatical errors, or problems in vocabulary, please do not hesitate to tell me. ]

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on March 27, 2008
Last Updated on March 28, 2008


Author

Bao Bao
Bao Bao

CA



About
Hello, I have just begun writing, but I find great joy in it. My grammar and vocabulary may be very awkward at times, so please correct me if you ever spot any mistakes. I currently attend high schoo.. more..

Writing
The Voice The Voice

A Book by Bao Bao


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Bao Bao


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Bao Bao