A Social Disease

A Social Disease

A Poem by Paden Haynes
"

My top reviewed pice of poetry, and one of my favorites. Based on a discussion I once had with an old friend.

"

His eyes met mine
Proverbially, across space crowded with faces
(I saw his hunger)
     And in that somewhat handsome face,
The eyes traveled down.
     And his lips parted slowly,
As though kissing me, or
     Drawing in smoke.

He reconciled the difference,
Did the other sexual math:
no tits=no puss+broad shoulders+painted face=f*g
     And those lips sealed tight.
Offended testosterone rose, engulfed,
     Poisoned the brain.
Out came the word:

"F****t!"

Why?

All excuses aside,
     You saw me,
And wanted something of me,
     until you saw that you could (would)
get
it.

Homophobia
is
offense
at
seeing
one's
own
lusts
Reciprocated.
 

© 2008 Paden Haynes


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have no time for people who judge, they usually live in houses of glass and should know better. I love this poem, it expresses the hypocrisy and prejudice still lurking in our "so called" progressive society. Having said all that I truly believe it is what's inside that counts and try as we might we all make snap decisions about other people until we get to know them. It is something I try hard to avoid although occasionally I falter, but I never judge anyone on appearence alone, and I find people who do shallow and abhorrent.

An excellent poem, filled with passion and perception. Very well done indeed!

Posted 16 Years Ago


17 of 17 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

hahhah, did u mean this to be funny because I was laughing throughout, although I took it very seriously at the same time . wonderful!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I laughed when I read this, because you hit the problem of the biggotry right in head with this poem.
Bravo

Posted 16 Years Ago


I guess I'd be beating a dead horse to say anything more than excellent piece, so very true and full of emotion from the start.

"Homophobia
is
offense
at
seeing
one's
own
lusts
Reciprocated."


Posted 16 Years Ago


I love the way you put this. Its short, yet sums it up nicely. It is fear of a desire that we refuse to accept. Whether it is a long or brief desire; it is still a desire.

Posted 16 Years Ago


There seems to be little to add to what everyone else has already said about this piece. It's wonderfully written and the message is raw and honest.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wow, it's like a slap in the face on both sides! I mean, why should that guy take out his initial lust on the other man? Heck, it happens sometimes - no one's fault. But I've seen this happen... never a good thing. People do need to come to terms with their sexuality, whatever it may be.

Anyway, I liked how you presented the situation in a natural way. It was very well done and makes me start thinking about things. Good job! ^^

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such an amazing piece and it is gut wrenching that people are so cruel. I mean there have been times that I have tried to excuse their behavior in the hopes of being devils advocate but I have since learned that there is no excuse.

Keep up the great writing. I hope you are well.

Liv

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The "somewhat" and the "as though" in the first stanza weaken it a little bit, but otherwise this is an excellent poem. You use great descriptions, comparing his simple thought to simple math, and you don't dance around the bush with your message - homophobia is another's lusts reciprocated.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

i could write a small book on this topic. maybe not so small. i agree and disagree with your perception. to say it is your perception is 100% true. to say it is truth in and of itself, is not 100%. but all that doesn't matter insofar as the poem is concerned and the poem is wonderful. very well written. in the end, it's the labels that kill us but we cater to them. that's my thought. thank you so much for sharing this!

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Raw, real and straight to the point! Its sad but its the world we live in, I like the fact that you pulled no punches in this piece....Well done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

854 Views
53 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2008

Author

Paden Haynes
Paden Haynes

About
Where to begin? Do I begin with the adventures of homeschooling, the thrill of being brought up fundamentalist pentacostal and survivalist? Adventures in the woods? My sudden thrust into the world .. more..

Writing
Mephisto Mephisto

A Chapter by Paden Haynes


Remembering Remembering

A Chapter by Paden Haynes



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..