Consume: Chpt. 2

Consume: Chpt. 2

A Chapter by Immortal

Dorian awoke with a start. He stumbled out of bed into the dark room and fumbled for the light switch. His fingers found it before his mind did and flipped it. A blinding light pierced his eyes and he shut them quickly before falling to the floor. He let his eyes adjust to the light then slowly opened them. The white room displayed before him looked the same as always. White bed, white walls, white windows, white clothes. Everything a sterile white except for the suit the government provided for him. That addition was black with maroon tie. It was his centre piece, the only thing different from the rest.
He got up and moved to his closet and got dressed in the dark suit. He ran his hands down it to smooth out the creases then reached into the back of the closet. His hands found the etched-glass keypad in the back and typed out a code. A low tone sounded from the keypad and Dorian's bed started to ascend, pushed upwards by four hydraulic struts located in the corners of his bed. Once the bed frame cleared his head, Dorian stepped into the space under his bed and looked up. Strapped to the underside of his bed were two polished 9mm handguns. He released them and holstered them in the specially made pockets on the inside of his blazer. He stepped out from under the bed and a lighter tone came from his closet as the bed began to lower itself again. The door slid open with a pneumatic hiss as he left his room. 
Dorian stepped out of his apartment building into a gray, rainy day. The streets were crowded with people, all of their heads bowed as they hustled along the sidewalks. Electric cars whirred down the street as Dorian turned and began walking towards the city center. Above the ambience of rainfall the giant video-billboards could be heard, repeating ad slogans and information and why you need this and why that is so important. A street vendor stood under an awning trying to sell a variety of adult toys and videos. The vendor addressed Dorian as he passed the stall.
"Excuse me sir, but could I interest you in-" The vendor tapped Dorian's shoulder.
"No." Dorian shrugged him off.
"But sir, these are some of the best deals on adult videos on this side of-"
"No."
"Sir, please just a moment of your time." The man pleaded, "Look at what I have to sell. Only the finest whips and handcuffs for those special nights."
Dorian stopped and grabbed the vendor, looking him in the eyes. His expression softened and Dorian's voice achieved a new tone, "William, please stop. These people do not want to be solicited about their fetishes and sex lives" Dorian's voice was soft, with a underlying tone that was unidentifiable, "Move into a shop and let people come in on their own accord."
The vendor was stunned, "How did you know my name?"
"I just do. Now go."
Dorian released the vendor and continued on his way. Sometimes I scare myself, He thought. He caught a rail to a plain concrete building near the center of the city and entered through a security checkpoint. He paused to have a mouth swab checked for DNA matching, then used a fingerprint scanner that finally let him through. He walked to his office and opened the door. Another plain white room. Everything was a stark white, contrasted by the plaques on his wall. He sank into a plush white office chair and turned on his computer. A jumble of tones signified the computer's operational status and Dorian pulled up his e-mail program. A message marked urgent was blinking red. He opened it and ran the attachment.

://ATTCHMNT//URGENT!!//: 
TO: AGENT DORIAN STRIKER
FROM: GEN. REDFERNE
MSG: Dorian. We have a SCIENTIST in holding cell 23B who has 'information' about the the rumored WARLOCK program. You are hereby assigned to the task of interrogating the SCIENTIST and dealing with him however you see fit. This assignment takes priority over all others. Report to cell 23B at 1030 HRS to commence assignment. We can not afford a leak Dorian.
REDFERNE.
     ://ENDATTCHMNT//:

 Dorian closed the message and deleted it, then checked his watch. It's 10:00 now, he thought, I've got half an hour

After about 15 minutes of paperwork, Dorian left his office and headed to the elevator to the cell block wing. He got to cell 23B at 10:25 and saluted the guarding MP's. After putting them at ease, he took a deep breath and entered the concrete cell with the prisoner.


© 2010 Immortal


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The white room displayed before him looked the same as always. White bed, white walls, white windows, white clothes.( try rewriting)
(Same as always, the room never changed, white walls, white bed,white everything; even his clothes were white.)

"Excuse me sir, but could I interest you in-" The vendor tapped Dorian's shoulder.
("Excuse me, sir, but could I interest you in-" The vendor tapped Dorian's shoulder.) Not bad. Just minor errors. This is a nice piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 13, 2010
Last Updated on March 14, 2010


Author

Immortal
Immortal

Haiku, HI



About
Im a musician/not-really-writer who has pipe dreams of everything. Im optimistic about almost every aspect of life and I appreciate a lot. My guitar is my life but so is my voice, couldn't live withou.. more..

Writing
Lightlock Lightlock

A Book by Immortal