An Encounter With The Devil

An Encounter With The Devil

A Story by Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen
"

True Story

"

As a little girl, I was told of the legend of the New Jersey Devil. I never really believed it, but I was intrigued by the stories and legends that surround it.

 

For those that aren't aware of the legend this is the main story - A woman by the name of Mrs. Leeds, who lived in the woods of Leeds Point, NJ married young and had 12 children. She was soon expecting her thirteenth child. She was tired of the 12 children she had and didnt want anymore. One stormy night, Mrs Leeds went into labor with her 13th child. She made a vow "I'm sick of children! Let this one be the devil!"The child was born as normal human baby. But soon and in an instant, the child started to transform. He grew large bat wings, the tail of a devil. His face transformed into the face of a horse, with hoofs for his feet, growing hair all over his body. There is one legend story that after the child transformed he killed Mrs Leeds and all 12 children, before flying through the roof into the night.

 

There has been many sightings of the creature dating back to the World War. Its been seen throughout New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania, some parts of New York state.

 

But back to my story. My mother being so interested in the Pinelands always told me these stories and legends. But she's never seen him. Even with me being in the pines some of the time I expected to see something. Then one day, I did.

 

I was with my girl scout troop back in 2004 at an old cabin near Leeds Point. It was a normal day, setting up whatever we had brought with us for the trip. We went on a hike before dark, across an old rundown bridge having fun near the lake. We passed by the old Leeds house. The house barely stood on its foundation. It was in a swampy area, and the roof looked like it collapsed into the house. We returned to the cabin for some dinner and a goofy girl sceance before retiring for the night. All the girls and I got comfortable in our squeaky uncomfortable beds that had been laid out by the cabin's owner.

It was about 1 o'clock in the morning, I couldn't sleep. I can never sleep very well in unknown places. I stared up at the ceiling hoping to fall asleep soon, then I heard a rustling of leaves right outside the window I was next to. And the light from outside that instantly comes on when there is movement came on. Thinking it's probably nothing but a deer or some small creature I decided to look for curiousity's sake. I moved the curtain and looked outside to a red creature walking past my window. I for a second thought I was dreaming. But I realized I was really awake. The red creature with a tail as long as a lion's tail glided past my window unaware that someone was staring at him.

I couldnt believe with all the legends and stories I heard while I was young were actually in fact true. I had witnessed with my own eyes, the devil himself. And he was completely unaware of me.

 

When morning arose, I had told my girl scout counsler along with some of the girls in my troop. They couldn't believe what I saying and probably thought the lack of sleep drove me crazy. I may be crazy but I know a devil when I see one.

© 2008 Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Old wives' tale. I saw something similar some time ago, in a dream. I followed him and saw him feeding milk to some babies. His wife was there but she's apparently not into child raising.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I was expecting more of a story about your experience, which you made into a mere footnote at the end of your writing. Personally I do not believe in these sorts of things, but with a few well written accounts I may be persuaded to believe.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on March 5, 2008

Author

Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen
Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen

Passionate kisses of a mind gone wild, NJ



About
My name is Rayne and I have been writing since high school. I took a long vacation from writing, and slowly starting to come back into it again. I admit that I am not the greatest writer, I'm just doi.. more..

Writing