A Rose In Germany

A Rose In Germany

A Story by Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen

My grandfather grew up never actually believing in love. He was so stubborn and basically in a sense a hopeless romantic.

 

He served in the army and traveled all over the world - his only love was the priceless possessions that he got from every place he visited. He served in almost all of the wars, including World War I and WWII, recieved a purple heart or two in the Korean War before serving in the Vietnam War. He never expected to meet a beautiful young German girl named Ann. My grandmother. He fell absolutely head over heels in love with her. Going back and forth between wars, he decided to take Ann away from all the bombings and chaos going on at the time in Germany.

 

Once back in America, he married her. With a small unfortunate price to pay for his love. His parents were just as stubborn and despised the Germans all thanks to certain well-known villian of a dictator, Adolf Hitler. They couldn't see what my grandfather saw in Ann and refused to have any communication with them after their marriage. My grandfather did everything he could, by sending some of his treasures in hopes of them coming to their senses. Nothing worked, and he was basically disowned by his family.

 

My grandfather saw something special in Ann...I've heard stories about him comparing her to a rose. She was the most beautiful woman his hopeless romantic eyes ever layed upon. Despite his parents feelings he stayed by her side until the very end. January 21 1986 --- My grandfather passed away due to the Agent Orange spread in Vietnam, with her still by his side.

 

A few years back in 2006, my grandmother got sick and passed away. I know he's still with her even in Heaven... and I'll always remember the stories of his travels, and the day he met his rose in Germany.

© 2011 Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen


Author's Note

Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen
A small love story compiled of things I've heard about my grandparents.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a beautiful story, and so out of this world - almost like a movie. I guess the greatest stories are indeed the true ones, the ones we all carry in our hearts and minds, the ones, without whom, we would have not been here.

Thank you for sharing this amazing, personal piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A BEAUTIFUL STORY, IT IS SO SAD TO JUDGE ALL PEOPLE BY THE ACTIONS OF SOME, THE WORLD IS MADE UP OF GOOD PEOPLE AND ALSO OF EVIL....OF ALL NATIONALITIES!! BEING GERMAN DOES NOT MEAN YOU DESERVE TO BE HATED, I HAVE WONDERFUL GERMAN FRIENDS WHO DESPISE HITLER AND EVERYTHING HE STOOD FOR AND I APPLAUD YOUR GRANDFATHER FOR STANDING UP FOR HIS LOVE X

Posted 12 Years Ago


Touching, heartfelt story. What a shame his parents couldnt see what he saw, just because she was a german girl doesnt mean she wasnt a human being. I suppose it's different between back then and now. Great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2101 Views
3 Reviews
Added on October 4, 2011
Last Updated on October 4, 2011

Author

Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen
Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen

Passionate kisses of a mind gone wild, NJ



About
My name is Rayne and I have been writing since high school. I took a long vacation from writing, and slowly starting to come back into it again. I admit that I am not the greatest writer, I'm just doi.. more..

Writing