Donation

Donation

A Poem by Beccy

Half the world is fat,
half the world is thin
and half the world is 
still locked out, still
trying to get in.

And the flicker flame of conscience 
is that all pervading screen,
those little arms as thin as sticks,
those eyes that haunt your dreams;
and you would not harm so lightly
the kitten taken in,
or the chance on Sunday mornings
to absolve a little sin.

Yet that envelope discarded
like a coin dropped to the floor,
becomes no more than memory,
one more pebble on the shore;
but still the world turns endless on,
the wheels of commerce spin,
whilst half the world is still locked 
out, still trying to get in.

So sleep dear child, sleep all you can,
dream every wish come true;
for this world is thin,
as thin can be
but not so thin as you.  

© 2014 Beccy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

yes, one starving child is one too many---we need to take care of our own....we are always so quick to find ourselves in other countries helping those in need...but we have many here who need our help.

Posted 8 Years Ago


so very true, i couldn't agree more. Well put , Great write!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I did like the logic of this poem. You twisted the words to create a perfect ending. I had to read again. The world is odd. It seem we gain no ground with new advancement. A strong ending to the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


Thank you all for your lovely reviews. I feel very strongly about such things. One starving child in this world of surfeit is one too many.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Yes indeed, so many sit within their ivory towers and grow evermore corpulent and rotund, proportionate only to their pious pomposity and sanctimonious indifference to the genuine needs of those less favoured and fortunate, who struggle day & daily on a meagre existence !

A wonderful espousing epiphany to the poor and indeed, ' Suffer the little children ' !

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow a thoroughly enjoyable read from one end to'ther Beccy a real good un in my book... All Good Things, Neville

Posted 9 Years Ago


Thank you for your lovely review April. I used flicker rather than flickering for two reasons really. The first reason was I felt it's definition, (to pass briefly or quickly,) best suited what I was trying to convey in terms of how conscience might quickly flare, but then just as quickly fade. Secondly, it seemed to make the line flow more smoothly; whereas, flickering, which I confess I did consider, felt a little cumbersome syllable count wise.

Again, thank you for your lovely review.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I adore this piece.. the first stanza is my absolute favorite... the flow of this is dreamy.. wheeew.. The sweet, gentle, telling tone of the piece is stunning and moving.. it tugs on the heartstrings and makes you sigh with contentment at the end... well done...

on a side note** just a suggestion..
"And the flicker flame of conscience"... think it would sound better if you said "flickering"... (just a suggestion, my opinion, for what it is worth..)

This is a wonderful piece that is so beautifully written...

Posted 9 Years Ago


What a delightful ditty this is....with a good message too. The rhythm is charismatic and the rhyme is absolutely flawless! You even take a poke at religion in between the lines. Beccy, this one rocks! Lydi**

Posted 9 Years Ago


This reads as a song, has its own melody, I love the awareness it presents in your own sassy style.

Posted 9 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 30, 2014
Last Updated on August 30, 2014

Author

Beccy
Beccy

United Kingdom



About
I'm forty four, single and have a lovely fifteen year old son called Charlie. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I can remember. I have always been an assiduous reader of poetry and real.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


~ Rain ~ ~ Rain ~

A Poem by Dye