Breathless

Breathless

A Poem by Berney The Writer

I couldn’t move. I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t see. My motionless body drifted through the dark, terrifying water. My lungs burned in pain, grasping for air. The dark waves engulfed me once again, knocking me senseless. There was no way I could survive. I knew it. I accepted it. I embraced it. My heart thumped in my chest, slower, and slower. I could almost imagine the drum beating. Thump, thump, thump. My head swam with memories, good ones, and bad. I squeezed my eyes shut, pushing my memories away. It had always been my worst fear, drowning. And now that it was happening, I didn’t know how to control my emotions. It wasn’t because of the burning inside my lungs, but the feeling that I couldn’t see the bright, comforting sun again. I could never feel the warm heat coursing through my skin. I would miss the tingling sensation of the grass through my toes, and his warm arms embracing me, holding me tight. That’s when I felt it. The strong hand tugging on my wrist. I started to drift towards the sunlight once more, all my hopes returning back to me. My head broke the surface, my lungs filling with air. The sunlight warmed me instantly, as did his strong arms wrapped around me. The soft thumping of my heart quickened when I saw his face. His shaggy blonde hair blew fiercely around his face, his sky-blue eyes filled with concern. He held me tightly, keeping us both above the water. I still couldn’t breathe. But it wasn’t because of the water, it was because of him.

He left me breathless.

© 2016 Berney The Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on August 9, 2016
Last Updated on August 9, 2016

Author

Berney The Writer
Berney The Writer

Green Bay, WI



About
I am 15 years old and I have a passion for writing everything that I can. There's nothing that would mean more to me than getting my own works published and shared around the world. more..

Writing