To Know Love

To Know Love

A Poem by Berney The Writer

Try to think. Of something.

Something nice. An old memory, or a painted opinion.

Anything that matters.

Everything that matters.

A soft orange sunset lingering in the sky, the reminder of a previously warm summer day in the heated bright light of the sun.

Below that, a soundless and sweeping wave of cool water curls its toes and bows down to any worthy passerby. A boy with a calm persona runs golden sand through his fingertips and into the clear blue sea.

A smile, a light laugh. Another reminder of the past.

A girl settled just beyond the beach, leaning over a worn rosewood fence that creaked in the warm breeze. Skin glowing in the last sunlight, toes digging into the border of fresh green and intense gold grounds.

Here, in this perfect, wonderful, soothing dream is where one such can be.

Just be.

Think of the boy, the girl. Were they in love? Were they apart simply of their own reason, or of distain? Did they trust each other? Need each other?

Now be the boy. Be the girl.

Feel the sand as it flows through your palm. Feel the humble wave lapping around your feet with a sense of pleasurable purpose. Do you love the girl? Do you trust her and need her? Does she feel the same way?

Feel the warm breeze as it ripples around you. Feel the leaning wooden fence and the comfortingly green grass between your toes. Do you love the boy? Do you trust him and need him? Does he feel the same way?

How would one know?

Only the end of this perfect world. Only the vanishing dream with which we held so dear to our heart. To feel it all slipping away into the cold, dark night.

The sky goes dark. The water turns black. The boy drowns deep in the summer waves' lap.

The Earth turns gray. The green grass withers. The girl is forced to the ground in shivers.

This when their eyes meet, their souls touch. This the day the end will come. When they will suffer, and be likely to die, is regret remembered. Unfathomable regret.

They love, it's known. They know this now. Only now, in the end, does it come to show.

But too tired, he drowns. And too sad, she weeps. Death comes to all in one big sweep.

And there is more calm than there has ever been grown. For they had each other when they had not even known.

Two lives end here, murdered by the cold clasping hands of death. Only he is not to be blamed for this. Their time had come, they wanted to know, but at what cost they could never tread low.

A heart for a heart, a soul for a soul, his love for her love, so this might ever be told.

A sad dream like this. A cold heart that won't forgive. The blame is set on the shoulders of the one who won't admit. He grieves, she grieves alike. And in this world of peace and death it will all end on this night. The sun is set. The light--is no light. The joy is gone, the dream is gone.

He is gone and she is gone.

And they had only just seen the right to the light.

The love the death the hate the fate.

Any word can beat this lesson. Love to live, hate to thrive, death to heal, and fate to deprive.

Drifting off into this sea, she feels no light, no heat or eat. Sinking down, slowly sinking, slowly drifting off into a deep deep sleep...

© 2016 Berney The Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The personifications and metaphors in this poem was spot on. Though, the ending was pretty sorrowful... Still, it's meaningful. The narration is beautiful. Great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Berney The Writer

7 Years Ago

Thank you, I try to put meaning into every word I write and I'm glad you noticed it.
Sapientiam

7 Years Ago

You're welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 5, 2016
Last Updated on August 5, 2016
Tags: love, death, fate, drowning, lost, end

Author

Berney The Writer
Berney The Writer

Green Bay, WI



About
I am 15 years old and I have a passion for writing everything that I can. There's nothing that would mean more to me than getting my own works published and shared around the world. more..

Writing