MOODS

MOODS

A Poem by Betty Hermelee
"

still alone

"

MOODS

 

This letter bears to my inner soul

I open it ardently, careful not to tear

My lips shift to an abundant smile

Eyes appear to water like a trickle

After a heavy rain

I discern his handwriting

Stroke the letter

 

My darling

I must repent for the immense delay

In writing to you. I have craved your presence

Ever since our second goodbye. It was trying for me to leave you. I could not stop pondering your stunning face on the endless sea transport.

Battles are exhausting and frightening. I am now in France fighting the Germans. One of my colleagues met his death.  It upset our entire unit.

How are you faring my love? I expect your loneliness  has diminished and that you carry on with dignity in my absence.

Our love will taste the same when I return. I promise to write more often. You are my driving force that keeps my being from instant agony and pain. I May have another leave in a month or so.

Please keep the letters flowing over the sea.

My love always,

John

 

Like a statue, I stand motionless

Re-reading many times over

My mixed color moods disturb my equilibrium

Joyous to receive a letter, once again reality dresses me up

 I shall write soon

But first a walk to bridges end to reflect

 

 

 

 

© 2023 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

One of the saddest songs was Loretta Lynn's Dear Uncle Sam that she wrote back during the Vietnam era. Soldier's Last Letter by Mearl Haggard was even sadder; Glen Campbell's, Galveston...all songs about letters written in time of war. Sometimes they don't come home. Sometimes they do and they're never the same people that went away. This stirs a lot of emotions. A powerful read.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your review, much appreciated
Best, B
I was thinking of my Aunt when I was reading your lovely poem. She was widowed when she was 24. She lost her husband on the Iran-Iraq War. They were both living in Shiraz( I'm sure you've heard about this amazing city). Iraq attacked us on the first day of schools opening. Their son also was killed by Iraqis. The man fought two years and died in 1982. She gave the letters her husband wrote to her to my mother before her death. We may publish them someday.
The sad story of war, is not the battle with the politicians but the loss that usual people will suffer from.
Nice job Betty
Nima


Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you for stopping and a lovely and very personal review!
Best, Betty
Nima.Hope

1 Year Ago

My pleasure Ma'am.
Letter writing has become a lost art. And what a shame it is, that the technology of the world has taken it away. I used to write to a sergeant in Vietnam when I was 16. He was 21 at the time, and a distant cousin who I had never met. His letters brought me so much joy at the end of my school days, seeing the red insignia of "Air Mail" imprinted upon the white envelope. You so perfectly conjured up a memory that's been long gone for years. I still have those letters somewhere, tied with a fanciful bow. He made it out, but was never the same. Thank you, Betty.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Kelly for a fine review and some personal bent to it...I used to have a pen pal and we exc.. read more
Betty I loved the ambiguity of the word tear. Was it "careful not to tear" rip the letter or "tear" cry? A beautiful write.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your deep thinking review and your interpretation.
Best,
B
Beautiful
Loved this
Happy Easter

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much Julie.. glad you enjoyed it!
Best to you,
B
Love can traverse the distances, but not the eyes; they long for seeing the beloved constantly . In times of war, it heightens all the senses.
I was touched.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Sam for a thoughtful review!
Best, B
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

You are welcome 😊.


ahh' this is the precise and exact polar opposite of a dear john letter .. this is somewhat special in my humble opinion .. a truly touching transcript of love and a testimony to it too n truly :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Neville, a lovely review!
Best, B.
Neville

1 Year Ago


to quote L'Oréal .. because you're worth it :)

Best back at ya N
You're words leaves me wondering if I got it right
Thank you for sharing your thoughts

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Each to his own interpretation. Thank you for your fine review.
Best, B
Wow, two things, first...this was absolutely heart touching and second, this letter I sent you got there pretty damn fast. : )

This was gorgeous Betty and I don't know how I missed this on Monday. I need to pay better attention.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Hey, you are my fan club, period! no apologies!
Best to you,
B.
so touching. can feel the longing and distance of separation in those moods. Not an easy thing to deal with ... :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thanks Pete for a fine review....yes separation in times of war is difficult....
Best, B

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2023
Last Updated on April 3, 2023

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..