Businessman Joe Issa Touts Policy Targeting Education and Productivity

Businessman Joe Issa Touts Policy Targeting Education and Productivity

A Story by Bevaline Green
"

Businessman and philanthropist Joe Issa who is known to spend millions of dollars a year on the education of Jamaican children is touting government policy geared towards improving education and produ

"

Businessman and philanthropist Joe Issa who is known to spend millions of dollars a year on the education of Jamaican children is touting government policy geared towards improving education and productivity.


 “The focus on improving education and productivity is a good move as it will enable labour market reform and workforce productivity; these, along with greater value added and better worker compensation, constitute the main ingredients for high growth,” says Issa, adding that “there must be above-normal growth in order for the general living standard of citizens to significantly improve.


A former student of the London School of Economics (LSE) in the United Kingdom where he founded his first charity " Educate the Children Fund " Issa was speaking against the background of the increased need for the education system to generate skills and professions that are demanded by the market, something which Minister of Education, Youth and Information Hon Ruel Reid has been pushing.


Most importantly, Issa cites as critical, labour market reform in order to drive output and productivity as well as increase participation by more Jamaicans in the development process, which he says won’t happen until workers are educated and trained.


Pointing to the importance of labour market reform Issa says “it is critical that we change the market for workers to make it more flexible and efficient, thereby enabling employers to adjust the timing, level and deployment of its workforce to suit their needs,” stating “without it we will lose much needed foreign direct investments.”


In lauding the policy measures, which focus on improving and expanding vocational training, targeting skills and professions that are in high demand and reforming the labour market, Issa says the actions will ensure that the average man on the street participates in adding value at the highest level possible and benefits from economic growth.


In this regard Issa says he likes the new thrust by the ministry of labour and social security to become an economic ministry, “a greater force and stimulant for growth and development,” said the minister, Hon. Shahine Robinson in her contribution to the sectoral debate, acknowledging “the need to enhance labour management and administration.”

© 2017 Bevaline Green


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe