The turning point

The turning point

A Chapter by Mariam

All I see is tall grass and and strangely bright stars. I knew Mr. Jones lived in the country but come on. Mr. Jones eyes keep glancing at my back although he’s driving, (He pities me). “Mr. Jones, heh, how far IS your house,”

“Oh-Um we’re here now.” I see a snug little house in the horizon. My heart dropped as it became difficult to focus. When I glanced over i confirmed that coach hadn’t noticed my breathing.

“Hi, Arelais. Have you eaten breakfast yet,” asked Ms. Jones. (She pities me), I made my best smile and explained, “Yeah, they gave me food at the station!”

“Ok well then, uh follow me to your room. Also if you’re hungry at any point feel free to grab a bite from the fridge” she said as she invites me into her home. “Yeah, thanks for having me Mrs Jones!” I urge in response.

I’m finally alone. Restlessly, I stare at the ceiling. I’m a starving insomniac lying in a room I’ve never seen before. (FUN) Gravity seemed to increase and I furrowed my brows when, A tear. It fell down the side of my face.

C**K-A-DOODLE-DOO! (What the f**k), s**t I forgot I was on a farm. In my sweatshirt and jogging pants I got out of my room and saw Mr Jones. He had a bottle of water and a headband on,although he’s bald. “Uh could I join you on your run,” I said.

“Yeah sure, grab a water bottle” he replied.

Staring ahead at the gravel pathway, completely out of breath. I asked “Do I have to wear my hijab?” He’s staring at me and I’m staring right back.

“Your hair, your choice.” That simple phrase made my cheeks and lungs hurt for the rest of the run. (Yep lungs weren’t wheezing because of exercise , nahh). We began heading home in a walk. And I got to enjoy the view. “Mr. Jones,” we made eye contact “do you think Ms. Jones would help with my hair?”

“Of course she would, I can ask her for you,” He suggested.

“No wait, I’ll do it myself. I once read that people tend to like you if you ask them for a favour when you first meet them.” He lightheartedly replied with, “Haha well here’s your chance to test it, she’s right there feeding the horses. I’ll be inside making your lunch” he smiled at me as he jogged into the house.

“Uh-um, Ms. Jones can you help me with making my hair because I’ve always worn a hijab and have no clue how to do it myself.” She curiously smiled and agreed.

“Ok so how would you like it” she wondered while I sat in front of a mirror. “Something extravagant because I want to look flawless when they see my hair, but also casual so it doesn’t look like I’m trying too hard. You know?” She giggled and replied with “ I have just the thing.” She made 3 tiny braids at the front left side and pinned them behind my right ear. She then sweeped my hair to the front creating an elegant yet effortless look.

After thanking her I put on my uniform, grabbed my lunch and sat in the car. Mr Jones was driving us to school.

We both stepped into the school and parted ways. “I’ll drive you home,” said Mr. Jones, and I nodded.

I made it to my locker without anyone noticing. I was grabbing my s**t when I heard Taya’s voice “Arlais! Is that your hair I see!” Flawlessly I spin around, flip my hair and say “Why yes it is!” Both of us giggling she asks “What’s up with the sudden change”

“B***h sudden, I was an atheist since the day I was born”

“Didn’t seem like it” she spelled out.

“True, true but I’ll give all the details later” I explained with all joking aside. “Ok, cool. Anyway let’s walk to class and show off that lit hair.” We continue to walk and laugh at how stupid that word is. Lit.

(Back the f**k off) I think to myself when everyone poked and ruffled my hair. So many people are talking I can’t even make sense of it. (This is going to happen in ever class). “Ok guys settle down,” everyone shuts up when Ms. Elena begins to speak. “So I had a lesson planned today but I have to ask, Arelais I love your hair but what’s with the change?” She harmlessly asks. “I’m an atheist, so there’s no need to wear a hijab.”

“Ok cool, now that everyone has heard let’s continue with the plan.”

Slowly my heart seems to beat louder and louder, (My Mom. She sobs. That is my most vivid memory of her from my childhood. Her falling off the bed while massaging my dad’s feet while they argue. She asks me if the bruises and cuts on her face and neck look ok, and I lie). I remember. The floor beneath me begins to sway and the pulsing in my head exaggerates.

The door opens. Startled I look to my classmates. No one noticed. Mr Miller, the teacher that walked in began to leave. Ms. Elena continued but my eyes was on the door that was about to shut. (It’s going to be loud). “Woah, Arelais you ok? You flinched really hard,” my classmate said jokingly. I pulled an awkward smile and explained “Oh that aha, I don’t know I wasn’t prepared for that I guess.”

Lunch is finally here. I walk over to Taya’s locker and notice Mr. Jones leaving his classroom. “Be sure to pick up your football gear later.” And I nodded and said “Yeah, I will.”

Taya and I walk over to the picnic table without a word being exchanged. Sitting there we eat in silence but I break it and say “So, about my hair I said I’d give you the detyails,” she curiously listened urging me to continue “you can probably tell but there are some problems between me and,” I use air quotes to say “family”. (She’s worried) “And they finally kicked me out yesterday during the night.”

“F**k Arelais,” Tayas response made it oddly easier to continue. “I walked over to the police station and they couldn’t place me in the local orphanage because of paperwork or some s**t but I was placed in a foster home.”

“Arelais...” Taya mumbled (I don’t mind pity from her) “Dude but best thing is my foster guardian is Mr. Jones and his wife”

“Well Arelais your fucked, now your football coach gets to see your unhealthy lifestyle” we both laughed as we began to head to our class.
At least Mr & Ms Jones accept me for who I am.


© 2017 Mariam


Author's Note

Mariam
Is it too vague?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on December 26, 2017
Last Updated on December 26, 2017


Author

Mariam
Mariam

Cornwall, Canada



About
I’ve recently started to write more..

Writing
The Ashes The Ashes

A Book by Mariam