Wicked

Wicked

A Story by Britiney Harper
"

...a continuation of my previous story...

"

 

Alex was bored and tired, yet she sat in the lounge at Erica's father's hotel. Waiting for the heiress herself, who had called this meeting and was of course late as always. She crossed and uncrossed her legs again, her skirt inching up her thighs slightly, it got the attention of a few guys at the bar, but she didn't care. No, she had too many guy problems as it was; tonight Miguel was going to propose to her. This was by far the worse possible thing that could happen, especially since tonight happened to be Sophia and Alan’s engagement party.

Sophia happened to be Miguel’s sister, this was a long awful day and it would be a long awful night. She really wanted to leave, but Erica had said it was important. There had to be a way to get out of this, she wasn’t in love with him, she really didn’t want to be with him. The fact was that she was in the process of breaking up with him, this just couldn’t be happening. All of this, however, was forgotten when Cammie flopped down in the chair next to her, signaling for the waiter to bring her a drink.
       “Don’t say a word,” she said before Alex could think of a good few to say to her to finally get some sense in her head. It was so obvious that Cammie had either been with her latest surfer boy or surfing herself. The bikini top under a hooded sweatshirt and cutoff shorts happened to be the signature thing she wore when coming from doing either. It was most likely a guy though, that was what Cammie was good at, getting all the beachy boys to fall at her feet.
        “Why bother anymore?” Alex said dismissively, really she needed to be thinking of Miguel. He was completely in love with her, and there was just no way she could marry him.
       “Must you be such a child Camryn?” Sylvie asked when she came in, she sat in the chair next to Cammie.  All Cammie did was roll her eyes, she hated the way her friends always dissected everything and everyone she did.
       “His name is Matt,” she said dreamily.
       “And I bet you already slept with him,” Sylvie said while signaling for a drink. Cammie didn’t say anything, she flushed red and sipped her drink, and she’d given up drinking. That was around the time she’d start going out with Matt, but she really wanted a drink because her friends were going to drive her to it.
       “You did break up with the last one already, right?” Alex asked feigning an interest in Cammie’s sleazy love life. Although at the moment all she could do was think of Miguel and how much she wanted to kill him.
       “I’ve been done with Tony for weeks now,” she said dismissively. Matt was so great, he would be the one that she would be faithful to. All the other guys she hadn’t really cared about, but Matt was different, she didn’t even have to try not to cheat on him. “I’ve been seeing Matt for awhile now,” she said. Though there was no real defense with these people
       “Sorry to keep ya’ll waiting,” Erica breezed in gracefully. They all had to admit just how gorgeous she really was, in her slinky designer dress. She could wear anything and still be a show stopper that was just the way it was with her. “I was with Sophia and I have a plan,” she said. The issue about Sophia’s unexpected pregnancy had been plaguing them since she found out; unfortunately they all had to deal with her. That was what friends were for right?
       “Oh is it regarding Danny’s baby?” Sylvie asked, she couldn’t resist being a total b***h and bringing it up. She was sick of Sophia’s drama and happy that she hadn’t tagged along with Erica. There was also the fact that she really didn’t want to go to Sophia’s stupid engagement party. But she admired the fact that Sophia, who showed no promise what so ever and was a mess after Ben died, was now going after what she wanted. Even if what she wanted included this baby that was definitely not Alan’s.
       “It’s not his baby,” Erica said, she wanted to strangle Sylvie. It was bad enough it had to be her that Sophia called, but the fact that she actually had to ask James for a favor, was the real reason she was pissed.
        “So what’s the plan?” Alex asked trying to avoid listening to Erica and Sylvie fight like they always did; she had so much to do before the party.
        “I’m handling all the DNA testing s**t, so that no matter what the baby isn’t Danny’s,” she hated that Sophia had told her that other secret. This kid wasn’t Danny’s or Alan’s, but she wasn’t supposed to say a word about that.

“Doesn’t anybody use protection when they cheat anymore?” Cammie said aloud thoughtfully, Sylvie rolled her eyes, but she did agree. If Sophia hadn’t been so careless then she wouldn’t be wondering who fathered her child.

“I have a problem,” Sylvie piped up. She really didn’t want to share this with them, but they were her friends and this was their purpose.

“Go on,” Alex urged, she really felt like laying out her Miguel problem as well. It was better to talk about it right?

“I think Sam’s going to break off our engagement,” she said hating herself for it. She really wasn’t sad about it, she really didn’t care so much about him, but he was more money in the bank. Not that she really needed it, but who wouldn’t want more money?

“Push the wedding up, tell him you love him so much that you just have to get married right away,” Erica said. Of course it would be her, the devious mastermind; she had an answer for everything. “That way in like a month you could divorce him and take him for all he’s got,” she went on. She sipped her favorite apple martini. Lately she’d been wishing she could leave James, she wanted her freedom. The fact was that neither of the four of them had worked a day in their lives, unless you counted Cammie giving surf lessons. Which they really didn’t, they just considered her using it as an excuse to sleep around with surfer boys.

“It’s his ex, he really loved her,” Sylvie said. She was really starting to get sick of all this crazy love stuff, why did people have to fall in love? What happened to people marrying because they had to and because of money? The world was starting to go crazy; love was the last thing on the minds of the four of them and even Sophia. Who obviously wasn’t marrying Alan because she loved him, but because she’d been dumb and tried that love stuff before and now she was starting to wise up. Love wasn’t something that could really exist in the world, especially not now. Now what mattered were credit cards with no limits, being the best dressed and all the scandals. There were so many more important things in the world then all the foolish love stuff that would eventually get you hurt anyway.

“That does present a problem,” Cammie said, Sylvie almost laughed. There was that annoying little British accent Cammie had, if you didn’t know Cammie you’d think she just did it for attention, but at random moments that damn accent would just kick in. Sylvie hated Cammie’s accent and the fact that Cammie could be as childish as she wanted and nobody would ever think anything of it.

For as much as she loved her friends, these being her best friends, but Sylvie resented them too. Erica was the perfect little princess who got everything she ever wanted and was always the center of attention. And there was Alex, who every guy just fell before because she was the so-called “mysterious” one. But the one person she resented the most in the world was Sophia, as awful as it was only a year ago Sylvie had been wishing she’d have died when there had been that thing that happened at her wedding. But really Sylvie had a heart, she chose to ignore that fact most of the time, but there was no doubting that fact that she surly had one, somewhere.

“Well work your magic,” Alex said, they all knew what she was suggesting. It was quite easy to get a guy do what you wanted him to if you slept with him; they had all learned that over the years. Alex especially knew this; it was the one thing that her mother made sure she knew her whole life. ‘It was one of the best things about being a woman,’ she’d say, ‘because you can get whatever you want. It was how queens came to power and how any great woman got ahead, yet it wouldn’t help Alex.

“Make him remember why he chose you,” Erica added. Sylvie made a mental note to make sure she was prepared incase Sophia got any stupid ideas from this. Her wedding was coming up soon and she would no doubt say it should be a double wedding. Which the four of them all knew was tacky, you wedding day is about you, not you and someone else.

“I think Miguel is going to propose,” Alex said finally unable to contain herself. They all turned their full attention to her, they knew too well why that was a bad idea.

“Just say no,” Sylvie said annoyed, why did Alex have to draw the attention away? Didn’t she realize that he little Miguel problem was insignificant to hers? The thing with Miguel was Alex’s own fault, it was in the rules, you don’t date you friend’s brothers, especially when that friend is Sophia.

“At the party tonight?” Erica asked, Alex only nodded, and that was quite a predicament. James had done the same thing to her, only he had asked her at her mother’s birthday party where she couldn’t refuse him. He’d trapped her like Miguel was about to do to Alex, she hadn’t thought he had enough intelligence to do so. Had James not thought to make a big show of the whole thing in front of her whole family, maybe Erica wouldn’t be stuck with him now. But no, their marriage was basically arranged. It was quite amusing that Miguel would use James’ pathetic display of affection and devotion as an example. “That’s priceless, but so unoriginal, bet James put him up to it,” she was tired of this love stuff. And as far as she could tell her friends where tired of it all too. Except maybe Cammie, she was the special exception to everything.

“Say yes then break up with him at home,” Cammie said. She wasn’t much for public humiliation like her friends; they were so heartless and cruel at times. They loved to destroy people; it was their favorite hobby, even before getting and spending money. Like Erica’s thing with Sophia, that baby deserved to know who its father was, not to be at the mercy of Erica and Sophia. Granted that Alan would be a better father then Danny, because of course Danny was going insane and never came out of his apartment anymore. But it was Sophia’s fault and Erica was too blinded by her need to have Danny because she could, to see that it was wrong.

For all her faults Erica wasn’t as bad of a person as everybody thought. But Cammie was quite sure that on some level Erica was in love with Danny, even though hell would freeze over before she’d ever admit that. Although Cammie herself wasn’t much different, she could never love again, she’d made that mistake once and couldn’t ever do so again. Even though with Matt it seemed so possible with every passing day, but those were the rules and love didn’t exist.

“What fun is that?” Sylvie asked she really needed some entertainment; Sophia’s party was going to be so boring. The total destruction of Miguel, however, would be good entertainment, even though she knew Alex would never do it. She’d take Cammie’s little goofy way out; they never knew how to have fun anymore. She was determined however to not let this stupid thing with Sam get her down. He was still a necessity in her life, so until he became useless he’d be hers.

“I agree with Cammie,” Erica said, “although it would be a beautifully wicked display of public humiliation. I wish I could publicly tear down James, but you know how it is with my family. I was married to James before he even asked, our mothers’ made sure we knew that.” She drowned her second martini, although there wasn’t enough alcohol in the world to drown out her marriage and Sophia’s party and pretty much her life. If that was at all possible she would have already done that a long time ago.

These days she avoided home as much as she could, too much of her time was spent with Danny as a result. And that by all accounts could never be a good thing. That fact that he was such a puppy for Sophia was starting to bother her too. These days there was a problem around every corner, and even though she didn’t dare speak it. She was starting to suspect that Danny was falling in love with her. Which was the end of life as they all knew it; James wouldn’t hesitate to kill him. That was part of the reason she had decided to end this stupid thing with him. It was one thing to use Danny as her toy and have fun with him, but James was her life. Even though he drove her crazy, he was the person she was meant to be with. Besides that Danny wasn’t husband material or even boyfriend material, in fact he wasn’t fit to be seen in public with. The rules weren’t chosen, it was just the way things were and nobody could fight against the order that it brought them.

© 2008 Britiney Harper


Author's Note

Britiney Harper
...i would very much appreciate any comments, critiques, thoughts, etc. It would be a HUGE help.. in fact really i not only encourage your opinions... but I'm really hoping for it... sooo please help me out... thanks!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on April 27, 2008

Author

Britiney Harper
Britiney Harper

pittsburgh, PA



About
...A Few Things... 1) Hi! I'm Britiney 2) I Love to Write 3) I love to read 4) I'm a nerd 5) i love my Family more than anything else 6) I've been writing since i was 8yrs old (but really b4 tha.. more..

Writing