Chapter 5 - Who Is Autumn?

Chapter 5 - Who Is Autumn?

A Chapter by WynterPhoenix

                “This session is going to be little different, Autumn.  Are you okay with that?”

                “I guess so.”  As long as I don’t have to go through another “Autumn Show”, I’ll be happy; as happy as I can be anyway.

                “I want to get to know you.  Not your past or your family, just you.  I want to know who Autumn is.”

                “I’ll go along with your little game, Dr. Saunders, but I come with conditions.  I will agree to answer any questions you have, but in return, you have to answer my questions.”

                “That sounds fair.  You’ve got a deal.”  Does this woman ever stop smiling?  “Let’s start with an easy one.  What’s your favorite color and why?”

                I’m not sure what she’s trying to do.  I know this is some sort of reverse psychology experiment she’s trying to work on, but why?  What is she going to learn about me from this?

                “Since I was 7 years old, my favorite color has always been white.  People always argue with me that it’s not a color, which is true, technically, but I’m an artist, and to me, it’s a neutral color.”

                “Why is that your favorite color?”

                “I like things that are simple.  I like things to be neat and organized and to me, that’s what it is.  It’s clean, and when I see objects or fabrics that are white, they’re perfect.  It gives me hope that perfection still exists.”

                “I find that to be very clever reasoning.”

                “Now it’s my turn to ask a question.  Why are you always smiling?”

                “Well, Autumn, I smile because I enjoy your company.”

                “That’s not what I mean.  I should have asked how you can still smile.”

                “You’ve already asked your question, Autumn.  Now we can move on.”  This is the first time I’m noticing it.  She always smiles, but it’s always been with her mouth, not her eyes.  I’ve seen eyes like that before.  I see them every time I look in the mirror.  “What’s your favorite animal?”  She asks, acting as if everything was normal again.

                “I love all animals, but my favorite would have to be the snow leopard.”

                “Why is that?”

                “Mostly because I love cats and they are like huge cuddly kittens, but I’m guessing the answer you’re looking for is more in depth than that.  I like them because they are loners.  They live, hunt, and feed alone most of the time.  I once read that they prefer to be alone because that’s when they do their best thinking and problem solving.  It also has to do with abandonment issues.  When they get to a certain age, the mother forces the cubs to leave and fend for themselves.  It’s almost like they’re human.  If I was an animal, I think I’d be a snow leopard.  They only trust themselves.”

                “That is the most accurate and truthful answer I’ve ever been given when asking that question.”

                “I like complicated things.”

                “I thought you liked simple things.”

                “I like both, but never in between.”  I can’t help but laugh with her.  “What happened to her?”

                “Who?”  She knows who.  She’s trying to avoid my question.

                “Your daughter.”

                “Today was supposed to be about learning more about each other, Autumn, nothing too serious.  Ask another question, please.”

                “All right, I apologize, it’s too soon for that, I get it.  What kind of music do you like?”

                “Oh, well that’s easy.  My favorite is country.  I like music that tells a story, but you can still understand what they’re saying.”  I know the feeling.  “What about you, Autumn?  What’s your favorite song?”

                “It’s hard to say.  I love music, but if I had to choose just one, I think I’d go with A Few Small Bruises by Maria Mena.”

                “I don’t think I’ve heard that one.”

                “It’s worth listening to.”

                “Give me a few of your favorite lines.”

                …well except for a few small bruises, cuts, and scars, I’m fine…thank you for asking…I know they think I’m crazy, but everything I am is everything I was taught to be…and as you read my words out loud, make me sound genius, make me sound special, and maybe I’ll come down…

                She’s still writing in that stupid pad.  I wonder what she writes on that thing.  “Dr. Saunders, what are you writing?  I thought this was just a game.”

                “Autumn, you can learn a lot about a person by learning their likes and dislikes.”

                “What did you learn about me?”

                “Do you really want to know?”

                “I do.”

                She studies her notes and looks up.  “Well, your favorite color is white, which tells me you have a desire for perfection and impossible ideas.  It also tells me that you want your childhood back.  You want to obtain your lost youth.  You have a yearning for a simple life.”  I knew she was planning something.  “Your favorite animal is a snow leopard.  You gave me the reasoning for that one.  You said yourself; you only trust yourself and have abandonment issues.  You do not trust easily, because you think everyone is going to leave you…”

                “That’s what they do.”

                “Your song choice, tells me that you want, or need rather, someone that you can trust.  Someone that is willing to be there, no matter what.  It tells me that you blame everyone else for a problem that you started.”

                “That’s not true.”

                “It is, Autumn.”

                “No.  I don’t blame them for a problem I started.  I know I’m the one at fault for harming myself, but I also know that they’re the ones that pushed me there, by wanting me to be perfect.  They ‘taught’ me to be who I am, because I was who I was because that’s who they wanted me to be.  I was afraid of being myself because I knew I wouldn’t be accepted in my family.”

                “You are a very intelligent young lady, Autumn.  I’m assuming you already knew everything I just told you, didn’t you.”

                “I had an idea.”

                “Now it’s your turn.  What did you learn about me?”

“I learned that you’re not as hopeless as I once thought you to be.”  I guess this therapy thing isn’t going to be so bad after all.  Maybe she does know what she’s doing.  For the first time, I wish this session could have been longer.  I’m actually a little excited for our next session.  Everything I thought I knew is now a lie.  Some people can be trusted, and though I above average intelligence, I still have a lot to learn.  Alvin Toffler once said, the illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.



© 2011 WynterPhoenix


Author's Note

WynterPhoenix
Sorry for the wait. I hope you guys enjoy. Let me know of any grammatical or spelling errors. Constructive criticism is encouraged.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I had to do a quick re-read. I like the way the conversation is going. Doctor is slowly opening doors. She is a hard headed girl. A strong story. I look forward to see where you are taking this story. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is amazing! I loved it. The way you showed how smart she is, and I really like how you said the ladies smile never reached her eyes.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This line caught my eye

This is the first time I’m noticing it. She always smiles, but it’s always been with her mouth, not her eyes. I’ve seen eyes like that before. I see them every time I look in the mirror.

Excellent use of foreshadowing, i almost missed it. A very good chapter, i am eager to read the next one. I can feel the rising excitement for the climax.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brilliant chapter. I love how Autumn is opening up past every chapter, and how the Doctor lady is opening up too. Great work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Loved it

Posted 12 Years Ago


My favorite part is the one about her favorite animal. It tels alot about one person. Like my favorite animals:

1) Wolf - They are strong, and noramlly pack animals, but I think i'd be a lone wolf that comes and goes at she pleases. That is social when it suits her.

2) Tiger - So gracefull and strong. Only social when they are mating (Rawr ;) Ha) but really beautiful and loners too.

Really good. Please write the next chapter soon.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yay for the amazing doctor! She's all like badass/kickass. I love her. She's slowly opening Autumn up into revealing more and more about herself. It's like a game-- a game to find Autumn and what's wrong/right with her. Autumn is amazing. She's really smart, I think, and very stubborn. She's super cool.
Awesome chapter, by the way!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I had to do a quick re-read. I like the way the conversation is going. Doctor is slowly opening doors. She is a hard headed girl. A strong story. I look forward to see where you are taking this story. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 10, 2011
Last Updated on September 10, 2011


Author

WynterPhoenix
WynterPhoenix

Asgard, TN



About
To my friends, Don't worry about my leaving this site. I might pop in every now and then, when I have the time but, for the first time...I'm all right. Things are different. My life is changing and.. more..

Writing