Grandma with 48 grand children. I love you.

Grandma with 48 grand children. I love you.

A Poem by Blackbird1968
"

An Amazing explanation of an amazing women.

"
Grandma Marge, Grandma Clock book. It didn't really mattered what you called her because she was always something to some one. I'm kind of guilty you see. My grandmother lived so far away that I didn't really have a chance to build a bond with her one on one. I only ever saw her on special family occasions like Christmas,Easter,Mothers Day, Easter, and birthdays. When she had her stroke two years ago, it all changed from me. She was moved to a nursing home closer to me, where it was much easier to see her. But when I saw her, she wasn't herself. She knew names, but she could see that well, she couldn't even remember little things. She had a young mind. When I say young and no disrespect what so ever, but she was kind of clueless. She knew names, just not anything specific about that person. She knew her five kids obviously. She always bragged to the nurses about how she had 48 grandchildren and how she considered herself extremely lucky. She was lucky. She was beautiful too. She looked exactly like Betty White. Just about every day I would visit her at her nursing home. I'd go and help her eat meals, and I would talk to her and even help her with her physical therapy because she had to learn how to walk again. She never picked that up again, but it didn't matter. I got to push her in a wheel chair and unlike some kids my age that I know, they didn't get that chance with their grandparents. I was so lucky to spend the time that I did get to with my gram.
 She was always kind-hearted and very gentle. When she went into the nursing home, her humor changed a bit. She was always independent and we used to get a kick out of it when she got impatient with some one if they tried to help her. She was always planning something. A party, a dinner or just a small get together. She'd have me make a list for this party she was having even when we weren't having a party at all. When she would walk for physical therapy, she believed she was grocery shopping for what ever even she was holding that day. Like I said, she wasn't ever really having any event. 
  It really hit hard though, when she got worse. She was losing weight. The nurses saw no point in putting in her dentures anymore, and her hair wasn't perfectly permed anymore. She was tiny and she sat in a wheel chair talking to herself all day when she had no visitors. Seem's like such a sad way to end your life but she had a great life with many many loving people surrounding her. She went on cruises with her husband, Ed. She traveled all over. A lot of people might not know who he is, but she kissed Don Ho on the lips when she was in her 30's. Like I said, a great life. 
 She left modestly. The night we suspected would be her last night, all of her children stayed with their Momma's for one last sleep over. The next morning they went down the street to get some breakfast, and while they were just getting there is when she passed. She didn't want everyone there to see her leave. She didn't want to leave her children with that and to me, that is the most selfless thing. I miss her so much. I miss writing those lists, and planning a party. I miss holding her other hand when she was learning how to walk all over again. I miss feeding her. I miss talking to her. I miss her so so much. 
 Gram, 
  I am sorry I wasn't able to be with you all the time. I'm sorry it had to take a stroke to connect a bond with you. But, I wouldn't trade it for anything because I love you. You were an amazing women. An amazing mom, and an amazing grandmother to all 48 grand children. You don't have to worry about being forgotten because you never will be. Cole still has your clock book you gave him. He still calls you grandma clock book. No matter what you were called. Grandma Marge, Grandma T, or Grandma Clock Book. You were something to everyone of us kids. We love you. 

© 2014 Blackbird1968


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Blackbird1968
All I have to say is, Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on June 23, 2014
Last Updated on June 23, 2014
Tags: grandma, love, rip, miss, you, 48 grand kids

Author

Blackbird1968
Blackbird1968

New York, NY



About
I am 18. I have always had thing for writing but I never finish anything because I find a lot of my stuff naive. I have come into this creative community to give everyone the chance to see my work an.. more..

Writing
Galaxy Galaxy

A Poem by Blackbird1968