In Sheep's Clothes

In Sheep's Clothes

A Chapter by Martijn
"

A story about a small medieval-like town where nothing ever happens.. until somebody gets murdered. Bard takes a leading role in finding the killer, but there's much more to it then just a killer...

"

Chapter 1: an unfortunate suprise

I live in a small town, somewhere in the woods, a long distance removed from the nearest city. Winter had come now, meaning the wood and our villages were packed under a thick layer of snow. A boy ran to me, leaving footprints behind him. It was Bram, the woodcutter's son. He was around 12 years old. 'Bard! Bard! Braham has asked for you. You should come to the village now! He seemed angry...' 'Thank you, Bram,' I said. 'You shouldn't walk alone at this hour, though. It's getting dark soon.' Together Bram and I made our way back to the village. I wondered what was so urgent Braham would send a kid to me, this close to the sun going down. 
 I liked walking with Bram. He's a good kid and always told me what was on his mind. His stories were so lively and reminded me what it was like to be a kid again. His father, the woodcutter, was a very strict man. He had a strong will and iron discipline. Bram however was a free mind, who enjoyed long walks and loved to play in the woods with the other children.

When we arrived, I saw a whole crowd of people. The whole village had gathered around the house of the dentist. The mayor and the sheriff, Braham, stood at the center of the crowd, trying to calm people down. After I told Bram to go home, I worked my way through the crowd. Braham looked relieved when I arrived. 'What's happening?' I asked. 'It's the dentist.' Braham was a bit panicked. After all, he was the sheriff of a decent town with decent people, and nothing ever happened. 'What's with him?' The sheriff sighed. 'He's dead, Bard. Murdered.' I couldn't believe what I heard. 'Murdered? What? Why? By who? When?'. All these questions, they took control of me. I lived here all of my life, and the worst thing that ever happened was an accident with a bear. 'Let's calm the people down a bit, and then we'll enter the house and investigate. I'm shocked too.' Braham said.

Later, when the people had gone home, gossiping, Mayor Graves, Braham and I went in. There he laid, the dentist. He was a nice man, always willing to help and never got in anyone's way. His eyes were wide open. Time has made the man's blood a darker tint of red. After all, he has been dead all day and was only discovered an hour ago. He held a candle in one hand, but no weapon. 'Had any strangers entered town lately?' I asked because none of the folks in town would ever commit a murder. Like Braham always said: It's a decent town with decent people. Braham took a closer look at the dentist's body. 'Alright check this out. It's like he's been stabbed thrice in the belly.' Mayor Graves immediately noticed something. 'The stabs.. they're so close to each other.' They were. I stood and wondered what kind of sick b*****d wouldn't stop at only one stab. 'The whole town knows about the murder. I'm calling a town meeting tomorrow afternoon.' I suggested we should burn the man's body, too. Wouldn't want the poor man not being able to rest his spirit. They agreed. Braham closed the dentist's eyes. We closed the door and went home.

I lived alone. Wasn't quite the 'family man'. Not saying I was harsh. I could be, sometimes. I just enjoyed being alone. As for my parents... The worst thing that ever happened here was an accident with a bear. Well, my dad was the one to send the bear away from our town. At a cost though... His life. Lived with my mom after. It wasn't what it had ever been. She couldn't handle to live without him, my dad. After a year she jumped off a cliff. My life isn't really a fairytale. But I learned to live with it.



© 2017 Martijn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The main character's personality is immediately well defined. Also the rush of events really pull the readers in. Fantastic chapter! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 29, 2017
Last Updated on January 29, 2017
Tags: big bad wolf, ambience, dark, fairytale, setting, werewolf, thriller, crime, detective, perspective


Author

Martijn
Martijn

Houten, Utrecht, Netherlands



About
I'm a new writer who is very intrigued by fairytale characters and putting them in new light :) Right now i'm following a full time study in Breda, the Netherlands! more..

Writing