New in town.

New in town.

A Chapter by Bluerosefire

Chapter 1

Walking down the street is not an easy thing to do when it seems as though everyone is going to the exact place you're going, at the exact time you were going to go there. Turning onto a different street, I’m not as bombarded with people as the other, busier sidewalk. Not many people know about this diner, since it’s kind-of a dive, but thats ok, It makes it more homely.

It’s cute in a way, being small and intimate. I’ve been coming here for years now, about five, for shakes and fries. That rhymed, i should make slogans. The reason i'm coming here, at 7:00 in the AM on a saturday is so that i could apply for a job as soon as it opened. I turned 16 a month ago and this seems like the perfect place to start, since me and the owner are on good terms, and it’s a fifteen minute walk from my house. i reach the brick and plastic front of the building and waltz in. No ones up front and I wait by reading a menu i’ve read a thousand times over.

Theres a new item i haven’t seen before, something Mr. Thomp tries to do every now and then. He will take whatever concoction he wants and put it on the menu, weather only he likes it or every other sane person would. Most of them are failures that either didn’t sale or weren't edible. One time though he found a new milkshake that was raking in profits and people. He got on the news for it in our medium sized town, Since then he strives to find fame through his concoctions.

He’s nice enough, anyway, but kind of eccentric. His wife used to keep him in order, same with the diner, but three years ago she died from a car accident. I wasn’t close to her, but i mourned all the same. Mr. Thomp hasn’t been the same since, but he’s better now then he has been in a long time. She was a nice lady, but would sooner kick someone out as serve them. Mr. Thomp loves to tell the story about how some drunkards from the bar down the street came in, and tried to start a fight up front with some customers. She chased them out with a cane she used to walk around after knee surgery.

Looking up, there was still no one around. Bad service that i could change. Standing up from my leaning position, i try to look past the groove of a wall leading to the back, leaning on the greasy table top. Someone should really give it a wipe down.

A bell from the doorr singles i'm not alone any more.

Turning around, a new face catches my eye. I’d never seen this guy before, not as a regular or as someone who passed by on  his way past this place. I’m an avid people watcher since this place is a second home and he doesn’t look familiar. He’s older, probably a college kid. He’s got a square face and a strong jaw with dark hair to match the gel’d hair on his head. With my smile ignored he jumps over the counter and goes to the back with unnecessary grace.

I guess he tells  Mr. Tomp i’m here, because he comes out a minute later, looking bone tired, but happy for the first time in a while. Good for him. The college guy isn't following, so he must be a friend. It's weird I haven't seen him before.

"What can I do for you, Jackie?” he said, voice smooth for the first time in a while.

“Hey, Mr.Thomp. I was wondering if you were hiring?” I said. He thoughtfully rubbed his chin, thinking over my words. His face moving in odd angles like moving his face would make his brain wiggle out an idea. None came out and awkward silence ensued. He looked up, and as if he just remembered what i said, he shook his head.

“Sorry, no openings.” He gruffed out, scratching grey stubble. My shock at this is clear on my face, since the HELP WANTED sign has been hanging out for a full three months, since no one else would work here, it seemd to almost be promiced to me. Just then, wearing an apron that only someone who worked there would don, the new guy walked in. I can feel anger in my chest and a sense of betrayal almost in the air.  Why would Mr.Thomp Hire that stranger? Mr. Thomp, before i can comment is already heading back to his ‘office’. It’s basically a big hole in the wall that i’ve seen about twice: each time it smelt like strong booze and felt like desperate sadness. Some how that heavy feeling transferred to the whole restaurant, keeping people out and I thought  they were going to lose the business for a while. Just thinking about it would have broken my heart, since this is my basic teen years from 11 to now.




© 2014 Bluerosefire


Author's Note

Bluerosefire
Not hole chapter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on April 14, 2014
Last Updated on April 14, 2014


Author

Bluerosefire
Bluerosefire

Spokane, WA



About
I really want to improve my writing and get honest reviews with constructive criticism. I cannot promise to post regularly or that any of my works will be great, but all I want is a chance. Please do .. more..

Writing