Halo

Halo

A Story by Kerri
"

She was always one of the ones who shined the brightest in life.

"

It was a prom, or something along those lines, really. I thought it was more than a little weird, considering I was in college, but we were all dressed for prom, except for her, little Marissa, with her pretty, sparkling green eyes and bronzed skin and hair. She was wearing just casual clothes, but she still looked the best out of all of us. She had this brightness about her, this aura that, as soon as you were in her presence, you were instantly happy.

 

She bustled about, helping the girls with their makeup and dresses and jewelry, straightening out the boys’ ties and suits, cracking jokes with them here and there and just having a grand old time. She finally got to me, small hands coming to pinch at the fabric that covered my hips and waist, straightening the mini, blue, halter-top number I had on, pulling it this way and that so the straps in the back sat just right, baring teasing amounts of skin and lower back.

 

“Very pretty~” she said deviously, her voice ringing merrily. “Oh, but this won’t do; here, let me do your hair.” She sat me down in front of the vanity mirror I was standing at, grabbing the items she needed to bring out her vision of how my hair should be. I smiled gratefully, since I was actually trying to crimp and curl it the way she had hers, but was failing miserably. I thought her hair was so beautiful the way it was now, with the slight waves falling down her back and the little banana curls at the end. I’ve always seen it straight, and I’ve always seen her with makeup and dressed up, so to see her dressed so casually and looking so natural, it was a change.

 

But something wasn’t right again. These people that were here; she didn’t know them. I did. They were acquaintances and former friends from high school and most of middle school. She was a friend from elementary and part of middle school that I lost touch with when I moved. They didn’t know her. Why was she here? She shouldn’t be here. She was in a drunk driving accident. She died. So why…?

 

“Marissa… can I ask you a question?” I started nervously, if not a little hesitant, looking at her reflection in the mirror as she straightened my hair with her fingers. She was smiling, the smile having never left her face from the moment I walked in.

“Sure!” she chirped cheerily, happily going about her business and unaware of what I was about to ask her.

 

I wasn’t sure how to start it. I couldn’t just come right out with it. “… Weren’t you in a really bad car accident?” She stopped suddenly, her smile fading from her lips and turning into a frown. Her eyes were downcast, and she suddenly lost all that vibrancy for that moment in time, before the sparkle in her eye came back and she resumed her glow, going back to the task at hand.

 

Her voice betrayed nothing as she quietly replied, “No.” It was so strong, so convicted that I thought of ending the conversation right then and there. But I couldn’t. I just couldn’t. Because I knew that she wasn’t supposed to be here, talking to these people who she didn’t know but I did, to these people that looked as if they were seeing right through her but were feeling her happiness rub off on them all the same. She wasn’t supposed to be here talking to me, doing my hair and prepping me for a prom.

 

“But I thought you did…” I said equally as quiet, my voice cracking in the slightest from the knowledge I had but the doubt she was trying to put into me. I stared intently at the reflection of her face through mirror, waiting for a reaction, anything to give away that she was trying to placate me, that she was uncomfortable with my questions, anything. But her face was serene, despite the lack of smile on her lips. Her eyes were sparkling, not with happiness this time, but with knowing.

 

A small smile crept onto her face finally, never once stopping in her work as her fingers combed through my hair. At first, I thought it was almost sad, that the sparkles in her eyes were tears, but the illusion broke. Contentment emanated from that simple expression, the glow around her brightened, her face serene and smooth as her vibrant green eyes rose to meet mine in the mirror. “I’m doing better now, Kerri,” she spoke quietly but strongly, her small fingers brushing through my hair once more before she patted my head. “Lookit you~ How beautiful!” she cooed, tugging on my elbow to make me stand.

 

The gaze was broken then, the confused, saddened, intense atmosphere dissipating once I stood and towered over her. I looked in the mirror, admiring her handiwork. “Oh my gosh, my hair looks sooo~ pretty!” I gushed happily. “And look how much it grew, ohmigosh! I didn’t even realize it! Thank you so much!” I enveloped her in a hug, having to bend a bit to match her height, my now waist-length, straight hair falling over my shoulders as I did so. She laughed and giggled, clinging to me tightly, and I found my arms tightening around her just as fiercely. I felt this immense hole of sadness when we finally parted.

 

Her last words to me before I walked out that door echoed in my mind, and the small, content smile returned to her lips as she spoke quietly. “Have fun and be careful.”

 

I thought I saw a halo above her silky, bright, bronzed hair as I left.

© 2010 Kerri


Author's Note

Kerri
This was based off a dream I had about a friend of mine who passed away.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on February 16, 2010
Last Updated on February 16, 2010

Author

Kerri
Kerri

RI



About
I've been writing for about eight years now and prefer creative writing over anything else, pretty much. I have also taken college-level classes for writing in general. I started out writing fan-ficti.. more..

Writing
Three Three

A Story by Kerri


Fragile Fragile

A Story by Kerri


Dreams Dreams

A Story by Kerri