The Doofus and the Dork

The Doofus and the Dork

A Story by Soraya Austen
"

Just a little something I wrote up one afternoon.

"
Prompt- Friends don't look at each other the way you two do

It was constant.
The fighting, the screaming, the tears.
They wouldn't stop., they were friends and sworn enemies.
He would give to her the worst of words. 
She took them and fueled her fire.
The words flew from her mouth before she even stopped to think.
"I hate you, how could you say the words you know would hurt me the most?"
Shock and hurt flashed across his face, but only for a mere second. 
She reached out to grab his hand to apologize, but he shook his head no.
He turned around and walked away not bothering to look back.
She cried out for him and was about to run after him but he picked up his pace and turned the corner.
She fell to her knees, wailing about her stupidity. 
She fell asleep with tears staining her cheeks.
Her sister came out to find her when midnight struck the clocks.
"What is wrong?" She calmly asked while lying next to her.
 " I lost him for good" he hates me and all because I spoke words I never meant.
Her sister hugged her tightly, " He loves you, you know?" 
"Not anymore."
Yes, he loves you and you love him." 
"Sis, we we're friends, of course, we loved each other!"
"Friends don't look at each other the way the two of you do."
" Well, it is too late now. He probably doesn't want to see me."
" No, he is hurting but still will want to see you. He will take you back."
She sighed but stood up and began to search for him. She found him sitting by the river head bowed low. She sent a prayer up that he would forgive her, even if he never wanted to see her again. She stood next to the bench and waited for him to look up.
"I am so, so sorry for what I said. I never meant it and should have never said it."
He sat there silent,  not acknowledging her. She nodded her head even tho he didn't see it. She turned to walk away but before she got too far, he grabbed her hand. 
" I love you, you know that right?" 
" Yes, and I love you." 
"No, you don't understand. I love you more than anything. More than just friends. I want  to spend my whole life with you."
She stood there shocked. Not expecting this at all. He stood up and grabbed her other hand.
" I forgive you. I am sorry for what I said as well. I should have never let them be said nor even thought of."
She started crying again. Looking down, too shocked by his words, she mumbled something under her breath.
" Chin up, darling. You know how much I hate when you mumble."
She lifted her head up and put on a brave face.
"I love you. More than friends."
He smiled and pulled her in for a hug. She gathered even more strength.
"I often pictured me marrying a sweet, caring, handsome, a best friend, and a helpful man. But...."
" But what?"
" But I never thought I would find anyone like that. Then you walk into my life with that stupid smirk and suddenly I found myself smiling every time I heard your name. Looking forward to when I would see you."
He smiled again this time it seemed his eyes smiled as well. he picked her up and spun her around.
" I always wanted a girl who was pretty, funny, willing to help out, and would be a great wife."
"Did you find her?"
"Nope."
"Oh," She again hung her head low. When she heard all that her heart got excited.
He lifted her chin up, " Instead I found someone who makes me laugh, is gorgeous, helps out no matter what it is, is an amazing friend, is an amazing girlfriend, and will be the best wife one could have."
She smiled again.
"and that smile, that smile is one her best features."
She started to blush, making him laugh.
"So, who is the girl?"
"You, dummy."
"Hey, I'm not a dummy, doofus!
He smiled, " Yes, you are, but I love you for it."
"Your lucky you're cute."
" Oh, you think I'm cute?
" Oh very!"
He smiled and pulled her in for a kiss. She kissed him back with the same passion. 
"So, how about we go get ice cream?"
" I knew you would be a great boyfriend."
They walked to the local ice cream shop and sat down. Both back to their normal happy selves.
"I love you"
"I love you too."
" oh, sorry I was talking to my ice cream."
He looked betrayed, "even more than you love me?"
"Oh, babe of course not! You both are equals."
"Wow, well I guess I won't take you to get pizza tonight."
"No, no, no, I love you more!!!!"
"Too late"
He got up and started to throw away the empty cups. They walked out and hopped in the truck. He was driving while listening to her tell him how much she loved him. He smiled and pulled into the pizza shop. 
"I love you so much, did you know that?"
He shook his head and grabbed her hand leading her to the table. They sat down and ate till they were stuffed. 
"Ok, I need a nap."
"Fine, you can crash at my house."
They drove to his house and parked he looked over and saw that she was already asleep. He opened the door and carried her in. 
" I love you" he whispered before giving her a kiss on her forehead.
"I love you too, dork"



© 2021 Soraya Austen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

• I love to write poems even though I am not that good at them.

I'm a bit confused. If you're not good at writing poetry, why not fix it? It's a learned skill, just like bricklaying, accounting, and fiction.

Yes, you learned a skill called writing in school, but does writing a million reports and essays teach you even the smallest thing about prosody? Did you learn what an iamb or trochee is, there, and how they can make the words "flow trippingly from the tongue?" Hell no. And since you can't use the tool you don't know exists, or fix the problem you don't see as being one...

Universities offer degrees in Creative Writing with a poetry emphasis, as part of a MFA program. And given that, you have to figure at least some of what's taught is necessary knowledge Right? So why not chew through a few texts on the hows and whys in the local library? If you like writing poetry, it will become more fun when you have tools that multiply your options. And since it's about something you enjoy, you'll probably find the learning fun, and filled with, "So THAT'S how they do that!"

Though it's primarily about structured poetry, take a look at the excerpt for Stephen Fry's, The Ode Less Traveled on Amazon. What he has to say about the flow of language is something every writer needs to know.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
1 Review
Added on August 27, 2021
Last Updated on August 27, 2021

Author

Soraya Austen
Soraya Austen

About
Hey, it's Soraya! I love to write poetry and short stories. I love to read books. Fantasy is my favorite genre. more..

Writing