A Dangerous Game We Play

A Dangerous Game We Play

A Story by Soraya Austen
"

A short story I wrote up from a prompt.

"

I was your typical high school nerd. I had a book everywhere I went, I knew random facts, and I loved school.  I had glasses but I traded them out for contacts. Oh and I can tell how dangerous someone is. Pretty cool superpower, huh? It's not all the time. The people I hate are low level while those I love are high level. How do I know this, you ask? Well, I see a number at the top of their heads that shows a number between 1 and 10. One of my best friends, Cassandra, is only a 3, but my uncle is an 8. See he is a mob boss but more of a calmer one. He used to be a ten when he was younger but old age settled him down, I guess. Anyways back to my powers. It's hard seeing everyone's numbers. When you see a ten, you're on high alert. For example, it was the first day of college so there were a lot of people, the thing is most of them were only 4 or 5 on my scale. I was excited to not be stressed about that. I was looking for my Ap Bio class (told ya I'm a nerd) when I bumped into this guy. My book got bent a little from his body slamming into mine. So I looked up and slapped his face for being so cruel. He was shocked until he saw that I was a ten. He gave me a look that was a mix between mischief and horror. I looked to see that he was a ten and white light. I stepped back confused. "I know you can see my number, I can see yours." "You're a ten?" He smiled, "Yup, both in looks and danger." That snapped her out of her trance. She punched his arm. "Well, now I know why you're a ten!" She rolled her eyes and walked away. Throughout the semester she kept her eye on him, still unsure of why he was a ten. He was polite, modest, respectful, sweet, kind, and handsome.  He was also smart and athletic. He was the star quarterback and top of all his classes. She never saw anything that made him dangerous. He came up to her and asked her for coffee. Oh, what the heck. Maybe I can figure him out. She thought to herself. They talked and laughed and overall got along great. They kept meeting up more and more. He eventually asked her to be his girlfriend and she agreed. She thought nothing of his number and decided that he was a good guy. The semester was coming to an end which meant they would be able to hang out more. She fell in love with him wholeheartedly. She was getting ready to go out on a date with him when the doorbell rang. She thought he was just early so she opened it wide with a huge smile. It was the police. "Ma'am, do you know this guy?" They held a picture of him, her boyfriend. She nodded her head. "He's wanted for 34 crimes." She was shocked. He betrayed her. "Wha...what did he do?" "Murder, stealing, gang affiliation." They proceeded to list his crimes. She stood there before saying she doesn't know where he's at. They nodded before leaving. She went and cried on her couch. Sobbing at how stupid she was to ignore his number. She realized what needed to be done. She hopped in her car and sped over to the family mansion. She walked it and stormed straight to the office. "Uncle, I need a favor." Her uncle smiled, "anything for you." I need you to hunt down a guy. He turned serious. "What happened?" She explained everything and watched as her uncle git angrier and angrier with each word. "Do what you do best, Uncle." He nodded his head before calling in his secondhand man, Niko. He told him exactly what to do. "Uncle?" He turned around and smiled "yes?" " I want in." "Are you sure? It can get dangerous." "I'm positive." He sighed but agreed. "Niko, take her with." He gave a curt nod and she followed him out. When they got in the car, Niko turned to her. "So, what's your name?" "Kayleigh" "Beautiful name for a…." "Nope, don't you finish that sentence?" He smiled and sped off. They drove to his house and broke in. He wasn't there. Shocker. They searched all over and tracked his cell. Nothing, absolutely nothing. They went to grab a bite to eat before heading back. They talked the whole time. Her Uncle let her stay with them for the summer.  She and Niko talked often and became really good friends. It was a week before school would start again when she got a call from Niko. They found him and were holding him hostage. She jumped up from her bed and drove to their location. She wasted no time going up and punching him. She beat him till Niko pulled her out of the room. She broke down crying on Niko's chest. He held her close until she finished. She walked away with relief knowing he was out of her life. There was a problem. She fell in love with Niko. What's the problem, you say? She doesn't know if he even remotely likes her. They talked more and more through the year but never brought the subject up. After the next semester ended, she decided to tell him. "Niko, I need to tell you something." He turned and gave her his full attention. "I like you." He frowned before smiling big. "I like you too." She hugged him and started smiling because, for the first time in a while, she felt happy. The best part, Niko's number is only an 8. Still dangerous I know. He works for my mob boss uncle. He's bound to be dangerous. At least he's not a ten on a danger level. He is ten on the handsome level. 

That is why my power is both good and bad. I know you're wondering, is she still a nerd? Yes, yes I am! I am a nerd who's about to marry the love of her life!

© 2021 Soraya Austen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on September 2, 2021
Last Updated on September 2, 2021

Author

Soraya Austen
Soraya Austen

About
Hey, it's Soraya! I love to write poetry and short stories. I love to read books. Fantasy is my favorite genre. more..

Writing