Journey

Journey

A Story by Bottle of Wit

I wake up as nobody. I do not know who I am not. I do not know who I am. I do not know if I wanted to find out, but from this point, there is nothing I could do but start asking and looking for answers. I ask the people I meet if they know who I am. Every time, I would be told that I am something, but nothing in particular.


I started on a world where people were happy and warm. I met a man and said I am a child �" playful and curious and jolly. I knew he was right, but I also knew he was wrong. I was baffled by my own notion, and so I went on. I met a woman on the way and she said I am a daughter �" loving and kind and thoughtful. I knew what she said was true, yet I also am certain that this is not me. Another said I am a sister �" caring and gentle and sweet. I’m afraid I cannot tell if this is true or not. Someone I passed by told me I am a friend �" cheerful and helpful and sensitive. I felt that I am and that I am not.


I walked on a different world, hopeful that I can find the answer. This world, however, made me feel uncomfortable. People were serious, rarely smiling. I ask someone who they think I am. He answered, “You are a student, so start learning.” I was surprised by his answer. He did not only tell me who he thinks I am, he also told me what I needed to do. I was not certain if I felt good or bad about this place, but I followed for it is the best thing I have for direction. I found out I was not alone with the “learning” and that people around here are used to telling other people what to do. I approached the others if they had any idea who I am. One said, “You are a competition. Back off.” Another said, “You are useful. Stay.” Another said, “You are nothing. Dissipate.”

I was bothered by everything that has happened and so I went to the man who told me I am a student, certain he knows more than I do.


“Do you know who I am?”


“You are a student.”

“Do you know what I am here for?”


“You are here to learn.”


“Why is it that I do not think you are telling the truth?”


The man seemed to be surprised of my question. “That is because I speak only of what I am shown. I do not know the absolute truth �" and no one will. Nevertheless, I know of one face of your truth, and it is as I said it is.”


“What do you mean?” I asked, for I was greatly baffled.


“You are more than one thing, but never everything.”


“What do you mean?” I asked again.


He looked at me as though he was examining me. “You are learning,” he said as though he settled with a conclusion.


I was starting to get a little irritated. “Learning what?”


“You are learning how to learn. My dear, you have been asking the wrong question from the beginning."


It was a little offending, what he said. It made me feel like a fool for all my life. “Who are you?”


“That, my dear, is the right question.” And then he was gone.

© 2015 Bottle of Wit


Author's Note

Bottle of Wit
Please excuse the cliche. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on November 27, 2015
Last Updated on November 27, 2015

Author

Bottle of Wit
Bottle of Wit

Angeles, Pampanga, Philippines



About
Huh. Who am I? more..

Writing