The Mistake

The Mistake

A Story by A Boy In The World

The impatience of his footsteps echoed on the empty streets, with no destination in mind he bled the pavement with the furry of his step. He was alone, had been so for quite some time now, all that he had were the memories of what had been, the sweetness of the past that he took for granted.


What he would give, now, for the company of what was, for the times that he let slip by him, for the moments that were so fleeting then, but now meant so much.


The stillness of all that was around him haunted his every waking second, there was nothing, not a sound, nor any distraction that could wake him from his somber reflections. He was trapped in a nightmare of the past, no matter how fast he walked, or how far he ran, he could not seem to get ahead of all that he had lost. The world that he knew was gone, it was only him now, and there was nothing that he could do that would bring it back.


Exhausted from his thoughts, and things that could never be he found a sheltered spot under some trees to lay his head for awhile. In sleep, his troubles for the most part, seemed to drift away; if only for a little while. In sleep, he was able to forget what used to be.


However, even his rest was not what it once was. His dreams have now begun to haunt him, to taunt him with the flavor of what his life and the world around him had once been. He had failed, everyone had failed, and now they were all gone. It was only him.


Forever alone, an empty existence, never again to hear the sound of laughter.

© 2013 A Boy In The World


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on June 15, 2013
Last Updated on June 15, 2013

Author

A Boy In The World
A Boy In The World

Canada



About
I AM A CANADIAN. I WAS BORN AND RAISED ON THE PRAIRIES OF MANITOBA, WHERE I AM CURRENTLY STILL LIVING. YES...ITS COLD HERE IN THE WINTER. I am a cook. I have been in the professional culinary field.. more..

Writing